Went shooting with a couple local LEOs tonight.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    I'm part of a Police Explorers group with 2 local PDs and tonight we went shooting instead of a normal meeting.
    We ran the same testing as they do in the academy. (48 rds, @ 3yds, 7yds, 15yds, then 25yds)

this was the first time ive ever done something like this. let me know what you guys think!

picture.php
    picture.php

(same target)

the strays on the bottom left were from left hand shooting at 25 yds. those were the first time ive ever shot left handed.

i think it turned out pretty good. the training officer told me i would have qualified.

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    2 shots with a 12 gauge?

48 rds. Glock 23

Many different shooting positions?

3yds; 6 shots right hand no support/6 shots left no support
    7yds; 12 shots dominant hand with support
    15yds; 6 shots dominant standing/6 shots dominant kneeling
    25yds; 6 shots right hand with support/6 shots left hand with support

so 4 different positions. 5 if you count the kneeling

the officer is a certified instructor and said this is the academy qualification.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    That's one dead a$$ piece of cardboard! Nice shooting :) Don't get too down on yourself about the "strays" from weak hand unsupported shooting. Fact is, you placed them on target and, hypothetically, would have drawn blood.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Looks pretty good. When we qualified in the service. Our four first two strings of fire where at 3 yards. The first two rounds where fired with your elbow at a 90 degree angle. Basically shooting from the hip. I would normally throw my first shot a little high. However, I would use that as a gaging shot to adjust my pistol. Shooting weak hand unsupported takes practice. It's defiantly more difficult for most compared to strong hand unsupported.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I'd say that's pretty good shooting! I've taught more than a few people how to shoot for their first time and I can tell you that some of them have a hard time hitting the cardboard that the target is mounted on. They push shoots, anticipate recoil, pull shoots, etc...and just struggle to keep the gun (two-hand, supported) pointing directly at the target. At least you know what you have to work on! Only through practice, and 'throwing a few away' will you learn how to correct your shooting into 'marksmanship' quality every time.

Good luck...and best to you! You should especially thank those LEO's for showing you guys such a good time!!

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I dunno...I did the same thing and here was my target. This was after 4 magazines, 5 slugs from my 12 gauge, and 2 full mags from my AR15.

targetmags.jpg

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Good shooting..... did you outshoot the LEO's ?????

haha i wish. unfortunately none of them shot because there were only a few kids including me that have actually shot before. so the instructor really focused on watching everyone. the other LEOs did the same.

it was really cool though because it started getting dark so they turned on their lights on their squad cars to light the targets.
    it kinda looked like a buncha people in a stand-off since the red and blues were going. :ar15:

Last edited:

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    Good shooting for the first time!
    Keep up the practice and you'll be shooting 240 in no time. ;)

wasn't my first time. first time running this string yes.first time left handed as well. but then again i do only have about 500 rounds through my glock so im still fairly new.

if i counted right its 229. so im right there. just need more left handed practice.

i think i found out what was wrong though. i think when i switched to left hand with support i still aimed with my right eye so it was kinda crossing over which sent em to the left.

i don't want to sound cocky but i think if i did it again after i realized this they would all be in the 5 area. or atleast right on the edge since only a few were in the 4 area anyway.

Last edited:

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    wasn't my first time. first time running this string yes.first time left handed as well. but then again i do only have about 500 rounds through my glock so im still fairly new.

if i counted right its 229. so im right there. just need more left handed practice.

i think i found out what was wrong though. i think when i switched to left hand with support i still aimed with my right eye so it was kinda crossing over which sent em to the left.

i don't want to sound cocky but i think if i did it again after i realized this they would all be in the 5 area. or atleast right on the edge since only a few were in the 4 area anyway.
    You'll learn to compensate for that with practice. :yesway:
    I dropped two points on my last qualification with my off hand at 25 yds.
    Of course I can blame that on my aging eyes. ;)

EvilKidsMeal

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Highland
    You'll learn to compensate for that with practice.

are you meaning ill get used to switching to my left eye accordingly?
    cause i switched to my left eye for the 3yds with just left hand unsupported.

but when i shot two hand, off hand i didn't even realize it till after the fact.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom