• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Hello,
    I got the chance to get out and coyote hunt with my father in law and brother in law yesterday. We made four stands, but were unsuccessful.

How do you determine what calls or sequence of calls to use (specifically electronic calls)? I found myself questioning what sounds to hit, how often, and in what sequence. I'm a complete newbie so curious for advice on electronic calling.

Gear:
    - Primos Turobo Dogg electronic call
    - DPMS AR-15 w/3-9x scope and bipod (me)
    - Winchester X3 12 gauge (father in law)
    - Mossberg 500 20 gauge (brother in law - he's 12 and just wanted to shoot his gun)

Sounds used on the call:
    - First stand: rabbit in distress for a while, then coyote challenge call worked in with a young response howls
    - Second stand: same as above. Worked the rabbit off and on for maybe 5-8 minutes and then went to the coyotes
    - Third stand: rodent in distress, then rabbit in distress, and then the coyote challenge call with some young response howls
    - Fourth stand: started with the rabbit in distress for a couple of times (long and loud), then went to a female invitation howls, worked in some coyote challenge howls

Any advice or care to share your thoughts/strategy?

Coolhuntermike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Goshen
    I have had alot of success at night with just a continuous cottontail distress call from a old Lehman cassette tape i think when you start mixing in all that other stuff the coyotes know somethings up. thats just what i have observed im sure its up for disagreement.

Dodgehunter84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Right now they are pairing up to mate and this time of year I always have better luck with coyote vocal and mating calls than anything.

BoilerWes

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 2, 2010
    Pendleton
    I think starting off people tend to play their calls too loud and blow out any potential yotes. Remember, a yote can hear a mouse fart at like 100 yards...just kidding, but seriously they have great hearing.

inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    1. Lean rifle against tree
    2. Occasionally look around area
    3. When coyote is spotted, shoot
    4. Return to work
    5. Repeat as needed

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Number 1: Field of sight and field or fire must be good for one person with a rifle. Upwind on a small hill works.

Number 2: Caller (I use mouth blown calls still) gets hidden with field of fire covered with shotgun. Wait 5 to 10 minutes Normally till the little birds come back into the bushes you scared away,

3: rabbit in distress call softer at first then louder, then a bit softer like slowly turning down the volume.

4: don't give up to guick. I give it at least 25 minutes a setup.

Finding yotes at night use any siren sounds and they will answer. Or just wait for a fire truck or ambulance. If the area has a farm/logging road they do use these often and off to the side of these find a place to setup. If the farmer is out working the fields spring or fall call right as they leave or when they are done with an area. They get lots of free meals from tractor wheles and combines. I have seen packs follow a combine all afternoon.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    sounds ok to me. I usually only do 2-3 sounds at any given stand. If you were waiting long enough (for me about 20 min per stand), then pack up and move on down to the next stand. If there were yotes in the area, it's very possible that you got their attention, and they may have even come in to look at you without you seeing them. They don't always howl back, especially on distress sounds -- they just show up quietly hoping for a free meal.
    Again, Assuming there were yotes in the area, I would bet they smelled or saw you or thought something was odd. Or, they might have heard you on your way in. Some of the spray cover scents work very well, and good camo with a good background also help.
    I've had multiple stands where I know one or more came to look at us (either new tracks that weren't there, or a howl on their way out of dodge) but we didn't have a clue until it was too late.
    I'd say go out right after this storm moves through -- they'll be looking for a meal then

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    Also, I should mention this --- try nighttime hunting with some kind of spotlight. I use a Maglite LED (2-D or 3-D cell) and it works great.
    Nighttime hunting is great, because you'll get those eyes to glow back at you from 300+yds. Then just get 'em a bit closer, make positive ID, and BOOM.
    (start with your scope zoomed all the way out, on 3x in your case)
    You may be surprised and get a fox or a raccoon coming in.

Top Bottom