2007-7446-trilobites.jpg

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Smoke the occasional cigar, or two.

Own/restored a Snowcat (same model used by British Commandos to patrol Norwegian/Russian border during cold war). Run a website dedicated to restoration and salvage of antique military and civilian Snowcats.

Own/play with/restore modern and antique tractors.

Own/play with/restore cars (current project is a '67 Kaiser Jeepster Deluxe Convertible.

Garden (in the summer).

Jerry D Young

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Reno, NV
    Karaoke. Used to, anyway. Even had my own machine and had custom CD-Gs made of the songs I sang. (I really wasn't very good, but it was fun and helped me get out of my shell.)

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I see some cardinals, mollys, and I think gourami's. what am I missing?

Jumbo Neon Tetras, regular neon tetras, some ghost shrimp, no mollies, I forget what they are called...fire something...giant danios, gouramis, and some little algae eaters I forget the name of too...

I wanted to do African Cichlids, but that's all I could have put in there, so I opted for non-aggressive fish.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I understand, try spending $100 on a 1/4" shrimp that didn't like your waters co2 content go belly up.

You got ripped off...You should easily be able to get 5 lbs of shrimp for $100.:D

It's minimal, but I like it. I need to clean it.

aquarium.jpg

Pretty cool...I can't keep fish alive long enough to enjoy them, so I just gave up. I plan on trying again in the future though.

I really want a salt water tank, but until I can maintain a stable environment for freshwater fish for several years, I'm not wasting my money.

I wanted to do African Cichlids, but that's all I could have put in there, so I opted for non-aggressive fish.

Pretty fish. I had a few of them for awhile; definitely the only fish you can put in there if you have any...Even in a 50 gallon, you can't have that many if you actually want them to grow.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    Jumbo Neon Tetras, regular neon tetras, some ghost shrimp, no mollies, I forget what they are called...fire something...giant danios, gouramis, and some little algae eaters I forget the name of too...

sorry got it mixed up, PLATY is what I was thinking of. my wife wants me to make her a cichlid tank but I don't really care for them. I am big into shrimp though. all the aquascapes I've done use shrimp as a focal point. here some examples of exotic shrimp. Arizona Inverts: Freshwater Shrimp, Dwarf Shrimp, Invertebrates, Crayfish

joekoug

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Aside from firearms, I'm into rc planes and helicopters, and keeping aquariums (salt and freshwater). It's like the trifecta of expensive addictions - er hobbies.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    You got ripped off...You should easily be able to get 5 lbs of shrimp for $100.:D

Pretty cool...I can't keep fish alive long enough to enjoy them, so I just gave up. I plan on trying again in the future though.

I really want a salt water tank, but until I can maintain a stable environment for freshwater fish for several years, I'm not wasting my money.
    I set that tank up on Thanksgiving 2009, and haven't lost a fish yet. I bought live rock for the bottom, and cycled it for two weeks before I added any plants or fish. It's running a Fluval 350 Canister filter which does a pretty good job of keeping the water clean. I change about 10 gallons of water in it every two weeks. My pH is all screwy, and the water is hard, even though I add aquarium salt, but the fish and plants are healthy and don't seem to have any issues. I have lost some ghost shrimp to being eaten, but at like $.05 each, it doesn't break the bank to add more.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    sorry got it mixed up, PLATY is what I was thinking of. my wife wants me to make her a cichlid tank but I don't really care for them. I am big into shrimp though. all the aquascapes I've done use shrimp as a focal point. here some examples of exotic shrimp. Arizona Inverts: Freshwater Shrimp, Dwarf Shrimp, Invertebrates, Crayfish
    i want the purple crayfish...but they are agressive towards my fish. The cichlids are cool and about as close to the saltwater colors you can get without being saltwater. They like brackish water though. But they have to be kept with their own kind to avoid fighting.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I set that tank up on Thanksgiving 2009, and haven't lost a fish yet. I bought live rock for the bottom, and cycled it for two weeks before I added any plants or fish. It's running a Fluval 350 Canister filter which does a pretty good job of keeping the water clean. I change about 10 gallons of water in it every two weeks. My pH is all screwy, and the water is hard, even though I add aquarium salt, but the fish and plants are healthy and don't seem to have any issues. I have lost some ghost shrimp to being eaten, but at like $.05 each, it doesn't break the bank to add more.

Can you give me a roundabout estimate on how much $$$ you've dropped on that setup?

BTW, I never could get my pH to stabilize...I could check it on Sunday and it would be perfect and by Tuesday I'd have a fish go belly up and I'd have to take emergency measures to level it out before any others die.

I guess I'll be buying some quality books on aquarium upkeep before I invest in another tank.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Can you give me a roundabout estimate on how much $$$ you've dropped on that setup?

BTW, I never could get my pH to stabilize...I could check it on Sunday and it would be perfect and by Tuesday I'd have a fish go belly up and I'd have to take emergency measures to level it out before any others die.

I guess I'll be buying some quality books on aquarium upkeep before I invest in another tank.
    I'm guessing about $600 total including everything.

pH is something you cannot change rapidly. It takes time. That is the biggest killer of fish, is people trying to jack the pH up or down quickly.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    i want the purple crayfish...but they are agressive towards my fish. The cichlids are cool and about as close to the saltwater colors you can get without being saltwater. They like brackish water though. But they have to be kept with their own kind to avoid fighting.

yeah they are picky about conditions, one of the reasons I didn't into puffers either. I personally like tetras and just found some blue tetra that will go into small aquascape hopefully with some blue tiger shrimp.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I save toe nail clipings!!! :D

These folks would like a word with you.

13yo2vn.jpg

I used to compete in martial arts. I was nationally ranked (and even took champion a couple of times). I even competed in Europe once. I didn't win the events I wanted to, but I took 1st in two others that I didn't care about as much. It was fun. It's kinda fallen by the wayside in recent years and I'm starting to get doughy now.

Top Bottom