• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kneekicker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2012
    I have a Weatherby Vanguard in .270 with a BSA Contender scope that I really have no use for.

What would be a fair trade in value of that gun? It is in very nice condition maybe shot 2 boxes through it.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Weatherby is a good name, but the vangaurd is made by Howa.

NOT A BAD THING.....for a shooter, but howas are imported....new price is rather low compared to a rem 700 or savage so trade value will be lower.

The howa/vangaurd series are really good guns but dont have the NAME behind them....made in japan and of decent quality...its like a rock island 1911 compared to a colt.

I would expect a dealer to give you between $125-250 in trade on the gun depending on how "generous" your dealer is and rifle "condition"....new howa "middle of the line" guns sell for $400 new....weatherby adds some "flare" but dealers really dont sell them alot and they have NO aftermarket support...so tactical guys are looking elsewhere.

.270 is also a good caliber but doesnt have the cost appeal of.308 or .223 or even 30-06 to the masses so folks really are going to "buy" the vanguard as a plinking/beater rifle....and .270 is going to sit on a dealers shelf for a long time...so theyre not going to want to fuss with it.

The BSA scope will add nothing more than MAYBE $20(if lucky) to the trade value...theyre not very high on the scope totem pole...if not the bottom end....if you like it...take it off and keep it for another rifle.

Hate to be the bearer of truthful news....they are good guns if you wanna shoot them...just arent great for resale....my suggestion would be to save for the rest of the money.

God bless
    -Shred

Last edited:

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Last edited:

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    ]they have NO aftermarket support...so tactical guys are looking elsewhere.

McMillan, Manners, Bell & Carlson, Knoxx, Accurate Innovations, perhaps others, all inlet stocks for the Howa/Vanguard.

Roedale Precision offers an AICS chassis.

Howa recently redid their trigger, calling it HACT. Timney, Jard, Rifle Basix, perhaps others, offer replacement triggers.

Howa offers their own DBM, and offered a rebate for a free kit with a rifle purchase earlier this year. CDI and Pacific Tool and Gauge, perhaps others, offer their own AICS magazine DBM system as well.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Things must have changed in the past few years...hmm...maybe I was wrong(ouch).

If they only offered a .223 in a 1:9 or 1:8 twist...

I still dont know about $550 in trade though...I wouldnt hold my breath for that.

God bless
    -Shred

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom