• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • neofleo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    I know that H335 and WC844 are supposedly the same thing; but there are a lot of variables that can make the WC844 inconsistent from lot to lot. I have used it with other loads for my .308 and .223. I have not used it with anything as light as the 40gr Nosler Ballistic tips that I intend on using. If I use H335 data from my trusty old Lyman Manual I've had for many years; it suggests a starting load of 25gr. Everywhere I have looked online has suggested much lighter starters, and nowhere is the test barrel a 16" with a 1 in 9 twist. This is the lightest bullet I have loaded with this stuff but it has performed well with 62 gr solid cores and several different bullet weights through my .308 Encore with a 15" barrel. I am just uncomfortable with the conflicting data I am finding and would like some advice from someone who has actually worked up a load using this combination (16" barrel 1 in 9 twist .223 DS AR 15, leaded 40gr Nosler Ballistic Tip & WC844 powder).Thank you.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    worked up a load using this combination (16" barrel 1 in 9 twist .223 DS AR 15, leaded 40gr Nosler Ballistic Tip & WC844 powder).Thank you.

First I haven't used this combination, But my thoughts on it are-
    How old is your manual? Powder formulas do change over time.

I personally would look at different sites- powder manufacturers,bullet companies, and different reloading sites and see what the popular consensus is .

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    I'm using 26+gr of WC844 behind the Nosler 50gr BT's in an AR based coyote gun (24" SS barrel w/ a Wylde chamber) with no pressure signs at all. FWIW, In this barrel/chamber I'd feel comfortable with 25grs of 844 and a 45gr bullet.

neofleo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Thanks y'all. I will start with 24gr and work up from there. I probably should invest in a new manual also. My current one is pretty old. Thanks again, I feel better about it now.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    A few comments:

The length of your barrel has no bearing on what powder will work best with a given bullet. A lot of folks erroneously believe that short barrels require faster powders to work well. Except in a extreme situations, which this is not, barrel length doesn't really make any difference in what powder you should choose.

WC844 is NOT H335. That is just the closest commercial equivalent, most of the time. The best method is to employ a chronograph and actually test your lot of WC844 against H335 to see how it compares against book loads. That is the only real way to "know" where you're at.

With that being said, using H335 data for the 40gr BT and a cartridge OAL of 2.250, this is what QL predicts:

24.5gr will generate ~36000psi and ~2900fps.
    25.5gr will generate ~41000psi and ~3050fps.
    26.5gr will generate ~46800psi and ~3200fps.
    27.5gr (c) will generate ~~53500psi and ~3325fps.

I think 24 grains is a good starting point, although I would be inclined to go from 25.0 to 27.0, in half-grain increments. Odds are very good you'll find your best accuracy somewhere in that range. Watch for signs of pressure, including an increase in powder with either a spike in velocity, or little gain at all. Back off half a grain, if either happens. :twocents:

Top Bottom