• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Hey guys. I'm storing tap water in used 1-gallon milk jugs. They're kept cool in the basement. Good or bad idea?

Its economical, I just want to know if there are any significant cons to this.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    372   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I seem to remember reading that the plastic in milk jugs is significantly weaker and not good for storage. Superior would be 2 ltr soda bottles or similar juice bottles in 2 ltr / +/- half gallon capacity.

But if they are stored where you can inspect them easily and a leak won't damage anything, they are certainly better than nothing.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Milk jugs are an ok option if you have nothing else. 2 liter bottles are much better. The milk jugs "breath"and are generally a much weaker plastic than a 2 liter.Any storage is better than nothing though.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Water tanks in-line with your hot water heater works good. The water is refreshed each week as you use it. You can take it off-line whenever you need, in case of a water quality scare, but it is pushing fresh water all the time.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Storing water in milk jugs is probably not the best idea. Fruit and milk will leave proteins and sugars on the inside of the container (even if you clean it), which will promote bacteria growth. I agree with the soft-drink 2-liter bottle recommendations posted earlier, as these should have far less organic residue.

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    My personal opinion is that a good water filter would be better then storing water. I don't think we will have a shortage of water in this area, but it would need to be filtered and/or treated for drinking.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    You can use milk jugs as long as you understand their limitations (of which there are many, so many in fact, that I do not use them). Google "water storage" and similar strings and you'll find a ton of information out there. Here are a few references to give you an idea:

From a Water Storage FAQ
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/8521220/Water-Storage-Container-FAQ

“Advantages: Free after using the milk; pretty light when empty; has a handle.

Disadvantages: They are designed to rot (i.e. biodegrade) and therefore are not very robust; will eventually leak after about 6 months, although useful for very short term storage; not stackable; impossible (difficult?) to eliminate all milk product, therefore stored water may contain milk aftertaste; freezable with a very limited number of cycle times. Not a recommended long-term water storage container with so many better containers to choose from.”

From Utah State U Ext. Water Storage doc - http://foodsafety.ifas.ufl.edu/PDF/water.pdf

“Some light-weight gallon containers [i.e. milk jugs] might split at the seams and leak.”

From Mesa, AZ.gov - http://mesaaz.gov/utilities/water/waterstorage.aspx

Milk jugs, if used, “should be replaced every six months.”

From a Water Storage and Purification page - http://members.amaonline.com/jeri/Water.htm

“(Plastic milk bottles are too thin and will develop leaks.)”

Etc.

indyjoe

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 20, 2008
    Indy - South
    I like the blue 8 gallon water jugs with a twist on/off spout, that Wal-Mart carries. These can be set up on a table and used easily. They are also small enough that you can carry them. I rotate water every 6 months and keep them in a cool place OUT OF LIGHT.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I like the blue 8 gallon water jugs with a twist on/off spout, that Wal-Mart carries. These can be set up on a table and used easily. They are also small enough that you can carry them. I rotate water every 6 months and keep them in a cool place OUT OF LIGHT.

I bought 6 of these, EVERY one leaked within 6 months.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I like the idea of a nice filtration system as well. Maybe a good carbon system would be a wise investment.

Having a supply of water on-hand is still a good idea, though. Especially if you live on city supplied water.

Top Bottom