• ...and so much more!
  • gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Just a suggestion....

From loading a lot of ammo over a really long time....

Get the manuals and how-to books first before you go out and drop the cash as your reloading equipment will be a investment that your not gonna be able to re-coup when you change your mind... Matter of fact you can probably pick up all you need in the classifieds from people that picked up the stuff and didn't really know what they were getting into when they did the buying...

A good reloading class would be beneficial to both your health and reloading experience...

Best, and lowest priced place to get lead bullets in northern Indiana is gonna be Kempf's Gun Shop in Michigan City... He makes great bullets, he is not good at talking to people.... He will push Lee everything and won't even allow you to buy anything in his store if you mention Dillon... just a warning...

On that note... Dillon produces the finest progressive reloaders made, atleast in the level of machine that your gonna buy for personal reloading purposes...

Starting off on a single stage will give you a well rounded understanding of the process involved and will also give you the equipment to produce small lots of specialized rounds for any firearm you may have, it won't be the end all for producing 100's or 1000's of rounds to shoot through your 45 though... In getting a single stage press I would stick too a O style press rather than a C type press. The O type of press puts the dies in the middle of a O form of steel making for a much stronger press and won't spring when resizing certain calibers which require more force on the press... Clean brass always reloads easier with less work than dirty brass... Clean your brass, it also will give you a chance to inspect the brass condition before you load it and make sure there isn't anything extra in the case with your powder sending the sammi pressures off the chart and making you another statistic rather than a happy reloader... Watch the quality of the electronic scales, the Lyman's have been pretty good, a Dillon maybe, not the cheap 25.00 models, expect to pay a 100.00 or slightly more to get one with repeatability...

I've got a Dillon, a Hornady, and some rcbs and forrester single stage presses that I reload everything from 9mm to 30.06 and then some other stuff for 12 guage... I reload 500 too 1500 rounds a week on a regular basis and have been doing it for 20 or better years, if you need a hand drop me a PM and I'll try to help...

Don't make the plunge though until you have the books in hand and read and if possible you have a basic reloading class under your belt... You can hurt yourself rolling your own ammo if you don't look listen and learn before starting the process...

My .02 cents worth...

firemedic140

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Harlan, IN
    45 head into Gander Mtn. in Ft. Wayne. Talk to Tim he can get you started with everything you need. At least he can point you in the right direction. They carry RCBS. Your on the right track with everything you listed. Carbide dies don't require lube which makes it REAL clean. Shop eBay. I have the LEE Turret kit and manual, primers, powder and Dies are all you need. I'm in Harlan so it's a bit of a drive if ya want to see some loads done.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    45 head into Gander Mtn. in Ft. Wayne. Talk to Tim he can get you started with everything you need. At least he can point you in the right direction. They carry RCBS. Your on the right track with everything you listed. Carbide dies don't require lube which makes it REAL clean. Shop eBay. I have the LEE Turret kit and manual, primers, powder and Dies are all you need. I'm in Harlan so it's a bit of a drive if ya want to see some loads done.

I'm sorry...but the guys in the big box stores don't necessarily know squat...and the ones at Gander in Ft.Wayne IN PARTICULAR are rude and total BSers.
    :twocents:
    Save your money and stop before you get to Ft.Wayne...you've got choices in Columbia City and Churubusco...and although I can't vouch for the stock of reloading supplies in Columbia City, I can say Churubusco has a whole aisle (both sides) dedicated to reloading stuff.

bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana
    If you like Chinese food drive a bit further to Bluffton and go to 21st century firearms. When you are done shopping go to the COCO buffet for the best Chinese food in the area.

Top Bottom