• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    How do i get started reloading ammo for a .45? I really want to get into this but i have no expierience at all. I really dont want to blow my gun up or my hands for that matter so where do i go to learn/get trained on how to properly do it? I would like to eventually become a commercial reloader but i'm not worrying about starting that for at least few years.

Can anyone point me in the right direction to get started? Is there a class i can take in northern indiana that would teach me?

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Hop down to our site supporter Profire Arms. The owner goes by "Aszerigan" on the forums and is named Andrew I believe.

Profire Arms & Supply - INGunOwners

He offers classes (I think around Indy) that have received rave reviews. Seems to be a great guy to talk to and willing to help people learn about reloading. The prices seem fair and the people seem to come away with lots of knowledge and information on what the next steps to take are.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Hop down to our site supporter Profire Arms. The owner goes by "Aszerigan" on the forums and is named Andrew I believe.

Profire Arms & Supply - INGunOwners

He offers classes (I think around Indy) that have received rave reviews. Seems to be a great guy to talk to and willing to help people learn about reloading. The prices seem fair and the people seem to come away with lots of knowledge and information on what the next steps to take are.

Hes too far south, looking for someone in the northern part of the state.

firemedic140

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Harlan, IN
    It's pretty easy. Decide on a press, single stage, turret, progressive. Alot depends on how many rounds you are looking to load. Choose your brand. Lee is cheaper and does fine for a beginner or one who isn't going to load as much. Up to a Dillion that will really put out some rounds. take your time. Search a how to on google. Read, read, read. Try to find a local store that carries the products your interested in. Know anyone who reloads? Ask to sit in on a few rounds. Take your time with set up. That'l get you started. Then have fun!

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    It's pretty easy. Decide on a press, single stage, turret, progressive. Alot depends on how many rounds you are looking to load. Choose your brand. Lee is cheaper and does fine for a beginner or one who isn't going to load as much. Up to a Dillion that will really put out some rounds. take your time. Search a how to on google. Read, read, read. Try to find a local store that carries the products your interested in. Know anyone who reloads? Ask to sit in on a few rounds. Take your time with set up. That'l get you started. Then have fun!

I have noone i know of that reloads. I'm pretty much the only one in my family that likes guns, so i'm kinda on my own here. Do you have a link to a kit that contains everything i would need to start reloading?

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Depends on what you want, RCBS, Lee and Hornady all have a starter kit
    If you want to check out the Lee stuff go to Kempf's gun shop in Michigan city...He's an ass but he carries all Lee stuff. Its just east of the corners of Johnson rd and us 20

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Looks Like its minus the Dies and manual.
    I have all the powder stuff they offer (scale/powder drop) and they are not very good. the press you have in the link is a nice press tho.
    I would look at the RCBS rockchucker kit tho better scale and powder drop plus the press is built like a tank.
    You get everything the Lee has pictured plus a manual for about the same price

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Does this kit include EVERYTHING i'm going to need to start? I know i'll need to buy the powder and primers seperate. (i have plenty of .45 casings)

Lee Precision, Inc. Reloading Tools and Equipment: Anniversary Kit

You need dies, powder data sheets on whatever powder you decide to go with, make sure your brass is clean and hasn't been reloaded too many times already. Time to decide on what bullet you want to use as well. My best advice to any reloader is to keep meticulous written documentation on every batch you load. Otherwise when you come across that perfect load, how will you ever be able to duplicate it.

Have fun, read a lot, and be safe.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Yep, Ive been useing The same Lee tumbler for 20 yrs. you can get a cheep one at harbor freight(no experiance with these).
    I think the one I have was $50+/-

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I've had a couple people come down from Ft Wayne for the class, so distance is subjective. I'm happy to help - although I recommend against the 'load and pray' attitude shown by so many new loaders. A book and a press doesn't make a safe reloader.

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Just my thoughts, but to get started I would grab a manual and read it through. Next, read it again, or get another one and read it. Then, check out some videos on youtube of reloaders working the process- there's some good ones if you look around.

After that, you'll have a good idea as to how to start collecting hardware and begin reloading.

And, you don't "need" a tumbler- but they are nice to have.

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Go to the top of this sub forum and read the whole thread titled "So, you want to start reloading?". That thread alone will answer a LOT of your questions. Plus it has a ton of very helpful links. It's a sticky for a reason.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    From watching some videos on youtube, it seems like the easiest and safest way to go is a progressive system like the dillon 650. To me it seems like the machine does most of the work and you dont have to worry about accidents with doing it by hand. The dillon does almost everything for you and would be much more consistant. Am i on track with this or not?

I would like to eventually do it commercially, so i'd rather buy what i need for it now and get practice with reloading just for me for the first couple years. Would the dillon 650 be a good choice for this?

squirrelhntr

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 10, 2010
    n.w. indiana
    Just my thoughts, but to get started I would grab a manual and read it through. Next, read it again, or get another one and read it. Then, check out some videos on youtube of reloaders working the process- there's some good ones if you look around.

After that, you'll have a good idea as to how to start collecting hardware and begin reloading.

And, you don't "need" a tumbler- but they are nice to have.

:twocents: yes i've been reloading for some time now, and i agree with this post. start off by a lot of reading and viewing u-tube. talk to some sellers of ammo at gun shows. i started out slow with a lee handloader, but you will soon find out you want to upgrade. A brass cleaner is a little pricey, but a nice item to have before you resize your brass. safety is a very important part of reloadn..... enjoy :popcorn:

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    From watching some videos on youtube, it seems like the easiest and safest way to go is a progressive system like the dillon 650. To me it seems like the machine does most of the work and you dont have to worry about accidents with doing it by hand. The dillon does almost everything for you and would be much more consistant. Am i on track with this or not?

I would like to eventually do it commercially, so i'd rather buy what i need for it now and get practice with reloading just for me for the first couple years. Would the dillon 650 be a good choice for this?

Start out with a single stage press. Learn each step one at a time. Then when you are ready look into a progressive if you want. Don't expect the machine to do everything for you without understanding what each step is. As far as accidents by doing it with a single stage, once you understand the process, and are careful with each step accidents can be eliminated. Don't ever think that a progressive is foolproof. It is a made made mechanical device as as such is prone to fail at some time. By understanding the process step by step you will be able to catch a problem when it occurs. If you can't find a class thats okay. reloading is not really that hard if you take your time when you start out, so I don't feel a class is absolutely necessary. Not to take away from the members here that hold classes some of them have gotten great reviews. I just saying I started on my own with no class and just a RCBS manuel. I took my time learned each step, and taught myself how to reload. That was 20+ years ago and I have never blown a gun up or ever had a problem with one of my loads. Nowadays there is so much more information out there on the internet that I did not have available to me when I started. Read everything you can on the subject. If you have any question there are many very experianced reloaders here on INGO able to answer them. All you have to do is ask. If you want to start with a kit I recommend the RCBS Rockchucker kit. I had one of the Leekits that I got in a trade. Still have the press, but was not happy with the scale or powder measure. The RCBS equipment is better. One thing that does not come in a kit that you will need is a bullet puller. If for any reason you have a question with any round you load, Pull The Bullet, and start over again. Okay this reply has gotten way to long so I will stop here. Just remember one step at a time and never get in a hurry. When you rush the process thats when accidents happen.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    ok i am going to get the RCBS Rockchucker kit.

I'm prety sure i'll need a tumbler because where i shoot the casings fall in kinda a sandy dirt and get a bunch of stuff inside of them. What all do i need for a tumbler? i'm not really concerned about the brass being shiny i just want to make sure all the dirt is out of them.

Does anyone have a link to the dies i'm going to need to load .45auto?

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    ok i am going to get the RCBS Rockchucker kit.

I'm prety sure i'll need a tumbler because where i shoot the casings fall in kinda a sandy dirt and get a bunch of stuff inside of them. What all do i need for a tumbler? i'm not really concerned about the brass being shiny i just want to make sure all the dirt is out of them.

Does anyone have a link to the dies i'm going to need to load .45auto?

Slow down ! In the past 24 hour, you have mentioned the Lee Challenger, a Dillion 650, and now a RCBS Rockchucker... You might want to seriously consider Aszerigan's offer ! As much financially that's at stake, taking a few hours to drive to a class wouldn't be a bad idea.

If that is just too far a drive, might give it a little more time. Maybe someone much closer will speak up and offer to show you a option or two...

I would gladly show you a RockChucker or a Lee Turret, but I'm in Ft. Wayne. If you were to decide to look around and wouldn't mind the drive, holler out.

Good luck with whatever direction you decide to go.

Top Bottom