• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Slow down ! In the past 24 hour, you have mentioned the Lee Challenger, a Dillion 650, and now a RCBS Rockchucker... You might want to seriously consider Aszerigan's offer ! As much financially that's at stake, taking a few hours to drive to a class wouldn't be a bad idea.

If that is just too far a drive, might give it a little more time. Maybe someone much closer will speak up and offer to show you a option or two...

I would gladly show you a RockChucker or a Lee Turret, but I'm in Ft. Wayne. If you were to decide to look around and wouldn't mind the drive, holler out.

Good luck with whatever direction you decide to go.

I'm just trying to get everything in order so that i know i have everything i'll need when i decide to buy. I wont be buying for a few months yet(gotta finish up on a different project first) and i'll be reading and learning until then. I think it will be alot easier to learn when i get my stuff and be able to go through it all. I'm not trying to just throw a bunch of stuff together and make some ammo.

This is what i have so far, but i still need to find dies, bullet puller, and maybe a digital scale.
    Cabela's: Shopping Cart

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I need a link to the dies that i'll need for a 45.

What powder do you reccomend using?

Here's a link to MidwayUSA... I have both RCBS dies and also the (4) die sets from Lee. I feel that the RCBS are better quality, but more expensive. Lee does have a couple nice options ( powder thru expander die & factory crimp die) that RCBS doesn't offer... I find most times I use the RCBS in the Rockchucker and my Lee in the (4) hole auto index.

Click here: Reloading - Shop Reloading Tools & Supplies at MidwayUSA

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Here's a link to MidwayUSA... I have both RCBS dies and also the (4) die sets from Lee. I feel that the RCBS are better quality, but more expensive. Lee does have a couple nice options ( powder thru expander die & factory crimp die) that RCBS doesn't offer... I find most times I use the RCBS in the Rockchucker and my Lee in the (4) hole auto index.

Click here: Reloading - Shop Reloading Tools & Supplies at MidwayUSA

So i need all 4 of these to load? Should i just buy this?

Lee Deluxe Carbide 4-Die Set 45 ACP - MidwayUSA

kingpin1779

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    near covington
    reloading

i suggest you go to midway, midsouth, natchez shooting supplies and buy a reloading manual. and read it from front to back. lyman ,lee,hornady all have good books. this will answer all your questions :rockwoot:

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Ok guys i've decided to start with the most basic version, so is this EVERYTHING i'll need to start making ammo correct? (i have brass) I think i've got the right powder, primers, bullets, and dies. Is this everything i'll need? Do i have anything in there thats expensive and something else could be used?

Last edited:

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    Ok guys i've decided to start with the most basic version, so is this EVERYTHING i'll need to start making ammo correct? (i have brass) I think i've got the right powder, primers, bullets, and dies. Is this everything i'll need? Do i have anything in there thats expensive and something else could be used?

What all is in your list? When I click on your link I get an empty shopping cart.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    What all is in your list? When I click on your link I get an empty shopping cart.

hmmm...works for me..?

Items in your Shopping Cart will be saved on this computer for 30 days.
    To save items longer, add them to your Wish List.
    Change Currency: USD Currency: USD

Lee Carbide Pistol DiesItem : IK - 210545 CAL/GAUG:.45 ACPAvailability: In Stock Qty:

Reg:$29.99Sale:$25.99 each
    Price: $25.99 Remove See what other customers bought with this item View All Restrictions That May Apply

Lee Anniversary Reloading KitItem : IK - 216577 Availability: In Stock Qty:

Reg:$109.99Sale:$99.99 each
    Price: $99.99 Remove See what other customers bought with this item View Item Notes

View All Restrictions That May Apply

Cabela's Case TumblerItem : IK - 212867 CAL/GAUG:MODEL 400Availability: In Stock Qty:

$49.99 each
    Price: $49.99 Remove See what other customers bought with this item
    Cabela's Corn Cob Media with Brass PolishItem : IK - 214211 CAL/GAUG:6# CORN MEDIA&POLISHAvailability: In Stock Qty:

Reg:$14.99Sale:$13.99 each
    Price: $13.99 Remove See what other customers bought with this item View All Restrictions That May Apply

Magtech Bulk Bullets - Per 100Item : IK - 215350 CAL/GAUG:.45 ACP 230 GR FMCAvailability: In Stock Qty:

Reg:$23.99Sale:$21.99 each
    Price: $109.95 Remove See what other customers bought with this item View All Restrictions That May Apply

Remington® PrimersItem : IK - 210751 MODEL:2 1/2 LARGE PISTOLAvailability: In Stock Qty:

Reg:$34.99Sale:$32.99 each
    Price: $32.99 Remove See what other customers bought with this item View Item Notes

View All Restrictions That May Apply

Hodgdon Smokeless PowderItem : IK - 210742 MODEL:TITEGROUP 4LBAvailability: In Stock Qty:

$64.99 each
    Price: $64.99

bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana
    I was told this is the place to start with reloading. I bought this book and 2 others and is there ever alot of information we need to do this right. I have purchased everything I need except a press, scales and dies. When I get done with the books and I complete a class I will get my press out of lay a way and get started.

We have a guy here in the Huntington area who is an NRA instructor and gives classes. It might be a little closer for you. Give me a holler if you have the time to do this thing a bit slower and need info for the classes.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    I was told this is the place to start with reloading. I bought this book and 2 others and is there ever alot of information we need to do this right. I have purchased everything I need except a press, scales and dies. When I get done with the books and I complete a class I will get my press out of lay a way and get started.

We have a guy here in the Huntington area who is an NRA instructor and gives classes. It might be a little closer for you. Give me a holler if you have the time to do this thing a bit slower and need info for the classes.

Yes i was planning on getting this book and the Speer reloading manual also.

kboom524

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    New Haven
    Looks good. You will also need a set of calipers to measure cartridge length. I use dial calipers but digital ones will work. You will also need a bullet puller. I use something like the one in the link below.
    RCBS Pow'r Pull Impact Bullet Puller - MidwayUSA
    A good reloading manual such as "The ABCs of Reloading" or this one from Lee.
    Lee "Modern Reloading 2nd Edition" Reloading Manual - MidwayUSA
    For more load data one of the Load Book for 45acp would be handy. These give the data from the bullet and powder companies in one book.
    Cabela's: Loadbooks USA

The link to your cart works for you because you are logged in to your account. Doesn't work for everyone else.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Looks good. You will also need a set of calipers to measure cartridge length. I use dial calipers but digital ones will work. You will also need a bullet puller. I use something like the one in the link below.
    RCBS Pow'r Pull Impact Bullet Puller - MidwayUSA
    A good reloading manual such as "The ABCs of Reloading" or this one from Lee.
    Lee "Modern Reloading 2nd Edition" Reloading Manual - MidwayUSA
    For more load data one of the Load Book for 45acp would be handy. These give the data from the bullet and powder companies in one book.
    Cabela's: Loadbooks USA

The link to your cart works for you because you are logged in to your account. Doesn't work for everyone else.

Added caliper and bullet puller. The manuals i'm getting elsewhere(cheaper)

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Scales, if that's not in your kit.

As far as having someone look over your shoulder who knows what they're doing...go hang out for a bit in your local gun store. Get to know the people and they'll steer you towards the people who know what they are doing (vs the bs'er wannabees). Plus, it'll help you make connections for further questions or trading in other related stuff.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    Scales, if that's not in your kit.

As far as having someone look over your shoulder who knows what they're doing...go hang out for a bit in your local gun store. Get to know the people and they'll steer you towards the people who know what they are doing (vs the bs'er wannabees). Plus, it'll help you make connections for further questions or trading in other related stuff.

Its in the kit but i think i'm going to get a digital one instead.

Ya i'm pretty much on my own here. The only gun shop i go to is Midwest gun exchange and i dont think they even mess with reloading equipment.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    From the location you've given, it looks like you're 20-some odd miles from Warsaw. There's a gun store right there on Hwy 30. I think it's called Albert's...or maybe Albertson's...something like that. It'd probably be less than a 30 minute drive for ya.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    From the location you've given, it looks like you're 20-some odd miles from Warsaw. There's a gun store right there on Hwy 30. I think it's called Albert's...or maybe Albertson's...something like that. It'd probably be less than a 30 minute drive for ya.

Hmm...i live a block off of 30. I prolly drive by it all the time and never knew it was there....I'll have to investigate.:)

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I've only been there once, that I can recall.
    It seems to me that the name of the place was out front on a sign, but on the building itself, it says something like "GUNS AND ARCHERY" ...something like that.
    I remember it being a spacious place with more camping/hunting stuff than what I was looking for, but that could have just been my perception since I was on a mission looking for something in particular.
    It'll be on your left as you're driving.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    I've only been there once, that I can recall.
    It seems to me that the name of the place was out front on a sign, but on the building itself, it says something like "GUNS AND ARCHERY" ...something like that.
    I remember it being a spacious place with more camping/hunting stuff than what I was looking for, but that could have just been my perception since I was on a mission looking for something in particular.
    It'll be on your left as you're driving.

ok thanks

Top Bottom