• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    Aw man! How did I miss an interservice rivalry thread by a whole day?!

If you do go Rangers, just remember what my batt boy buddys used to say. "The tab is a school, but the scroll is a way of life."

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    Aw man! How did I miss an interservice rivalry thread by a whole day?!

If you do go Rangers, just remember what my batt boy buddys used to say. "The tab is a school, but the scroll is a way of life."

hehe 2nd 75th at FT Lewis back when I was in, you could have guys come out of RIP (Ranger Indoctrination Program) and get the scroll but were treated like dirt till they got the tab...

I'll let E5 Ranger give more details as I'm just a leg and don't know all that much about the Ranger Airborne way of life.

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    hehe 2nd 75th at FT Lewis back when I was in, you could have guys come out of RIP (Ranger Indoctrination Program) and get the scroll but were treated like dirt till they got the tab...

3/75 was the same way according to my buddys. I'm sure E5Ranger375 can shed more light on that since 3/75 is his old home.

As for me, I was just a plain old leg 11B.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    Good timing on this thread. I've been bouncing around the idea of going USAF Reserves, OTS. If there are any of those guys on here, let me know. I have questions.

yeah, i know what you're gonna say about the USAF, but it's a volunteer force, so i'm going to the one w/ the best golf courses.

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville
    Good timing on this thread. I've been bouncing around the idea of going USAF Reserves, OTS. If there are any of those guys on here, let me know. I have questions.

yeah, i know what you're gonna say about the USAF, but it's a volunteer force, so i'm going to the one w/ the best golf courses.

They honestly have the best food, not to mention the easiest basic training. Probably have as a whole branch the best looking females in uniform....Why the hell did I join the army again?

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    They honestly have the best food, not to mention the easiest basic training. Probably have as a whole branch the best looking females in uniform....Why the hell did I join the army again?

yep!!

AF = best chow, hottest women by far (and less chance for STD's too probly :):), nicest facilities, SHORT basic, move up in rank the fastest, (although Army is probly second). not enough action for me .... well theres action :D, just not the shooting kind, as much.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

I'll let E5 Ranger give more details as I'm just a leg and don't know all that much about the Ranger Airborne way of life.

yeah guys out of RIP can deploy with the batt, but its good to always keep your eyes on them. Thats about all I can say about that ;)

very true! Till the day you die. Then your Family will always be part of the Ranger family too! Its a close Family. The first real Family I ever knew.

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    yep!!

AF = best chow, hottest women by far (and less chance for STD's too probly :):), nicest facilities, SHORT basic, move up in rank the fastest, (although Army is probly second). not enough action for me .... well theres action :D, just not the shooting kind, as much.

I don't think I have to do basic if I'm going strait into OTS. but I can't get straight answers out of their webpage.
    Not worrying about the women, I'm a married guy.
    The facilities and food are quite nice to have.

background: 28yo, BS in Engineering (TCU) and working on an MS in Engineering (AFIT)

Squib

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Manuals? They have manuals? I was taught that every order was proceeded with the magic word, "Sargeant"!

True story. The bird comes in and they start throwing out cases of K rations - that's right, no typo, K rations.

First Sargeant: "Sir"!

Me: "Your call, Top".

First Sargeant: "The Lieutenant says ta throw that **** back on board. And if they look like they're gonna pitch it out again; just wound'em"!

Of course, Top had a few adjectives and adverbs in there that I left out. I was never quite sure what I was going to say next. Joe made me look almost adaquate. Wow, I'm everwhelmed with nostalgia.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I was Army Infantry long time ago...got some great memories, got some really bad memories......Glad I went in...wished I hadn't. Met alot of great guys, an bad ones...each seemed to have a different reason for going in. My Dad was WW II vet, an my brother was in Nam. Brother is still fighting demons, an the VA...their is one thing I learned from them, an for myself.....if you are not willing to loose your legs, if you are not willing to loose your eyesight, or loose your arms, or to loose your mind...if you are not willing to give your life, an believe there is a very real risk that can happen....then you have picked the wrong occupation. God Bless an Gods Saftey to those serving.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Every unit has a smart alec kid from NY city, a black kid from Detroit, a laid back kid from Georgia or Kentucky, a cowboy from TX or OK, a surfer type from CA, a naive kid from IA or MN, and a kid from WV who is worried about his 15 Y/O bride.

At least that is my experience

OEF5

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Mooresville

Also I might be able to put you in touch with the Air Reserve commander at Atterbury, last I saw he was a LTC, might be full bird now, not sure. Former Marine Harrier pilot and I went to high school with him.

Not many places in Indiana that have AFR, there is a wing of F-16's in Terry Hoot and some other things up north. I think Indiana has a wing of Refuelers as well, I'm not really sure though.

Just shoot me a PM and I'll try to get my buddies info to you.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    A day never goes by where I don't think back to my Army days and regret ever getting out. You'll find out what you're made of and you'll be proud of what you'll find. Good for you and may God keep you safe. Hooah!!

johenz

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2010
    Indianapols, IN
    A day never goes by where I don't think back to my Army days and regret ever getting out. You'll find out what you're made of and you'll be proud of what you'll find. Good for you and may God keep you safe. Hooah!!

Retiring from the Army was the biggest mistake I ever made.

radonc73

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Lowell
    I miss it but probably b/c it was the first time being out on my own and not having to worry about anyone else but myself and my friends. I could have retired with 20 next year, my old roomate is a 1SG with 101st. It is a hard choice I would not have been in a better financial situation but maybe a better mental one had I stayed in. I had enough money for beer and bar hopping what could be better.

alfahornet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Forget Rangers. GLI (Glorified Light Infantry) is what we used to call them. Look in to the 18X program when you talk to a recruiter. It will be insanely hard to get through it, but if you do, I promise you will get to kick some doors. As well as do some things that only certification through JFKSWCS will be able to provide.

Checkout the book "Chosen Soldier" by Dick Crouch and it will tell you whether 18X and Army SF vs. Rangers is for you. It's a quick and excellent read. Author happens to be ret. Seal Capt.

Top Bottom