• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • emst52

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Lafayette, In
    Im getting ready to look into purchasing my first 1911 but im unsure were to start. I dont want to spend a ton of money since it wont be carried every day but i want a good shooter and somthing i can carry with confedence. I would also like to be able to customize and upgrade if possible. With that said i would like to keep it under 550ish. I like Springfield Aromory but ive seen some others from Auto Ordinance, Rock Island and American Classic or any others you may know of and second if i dont go with a 1911 im looking into a some type of Beretta 92 or a Taurus version i know were a used Taurus is at for around 350 and didnt know if its compareable with the Beretta. Thanks:dunno:

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    Is it either 1911 or Beretta or is it both? The new Auto Ordinance by Kahr arms I have heard are OK.
    As you probably know the Beretta and any 1911 frame are on total different ends of the spectrum. As an owner of both an SA GI 1911 & a Beretta 92fs I would say go with the SA GI or mil spec as they atre well built pistols and offer the ability to upgrade match parts to your preference as budget allows over time. I have the SA GI models in both .45 & in a more rare 9mm both parkz. not stainless or blue. The Beretta is a solid 9mm but both pistols may be considered heavy to carry as your concealed.

ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    Taurus makes a 1911 for around $600, but that stretches your budget a little.
    <-- It's actually my avatar

Stop by a gun show (the Indy 1500 is this weekend) and check out the tables with lots of handguns on them - you'll find tons of 1911's by different manufacturers and in different price ranges. Rock Island and a few other companies make them at the Sub $400 price point.

I'll be doing just that this weekend, looking for my first 1911 :): Probably choosing between a Taurus and a Para Ordinance.

emst52

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Lafayette, In
    I know its a little odd but both are on my list to buy and i havent decieded witch i want next. I was hoping with enough feedback i could make a decision on witch way to go but i am leaning more toward the Springfield G.I. or mil spec

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    Of those 1911s mentioned, I'd go with the Springfield, it's the only one of those with a forged slide and receiver.

whocares

Shooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Nov 9, 2010
    Clarksville, IN.
    I would ask myself do I want a 9mm or a .45. Both have clear advantages. I will say this, sometimes a gun just picks you. Hold the Beretta and hold the 1911 of choice and that will mean more than anything. I purchased my first 1911 with absolutely no previous thought. I actually went to my local gun shop to purchase a Puma lever action rifle with an octagon barrel and left with a SA GI 1911. My buddy at the shop said, " hey check this out " I put the 1911 in my hand and that was it. The slim feel but the heavy sturdy construction was awesome. I prefer heavier guns myself for several reasons and both Beretta and 1911 are that. I have shorter fatter fingers and to me I greatly prefer my 1911 to my 92fs as far as comfort, but I lnow that everyone is different.
    Good Luck

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Is it either 1911 or Beretta or is it both? The new Auto Ordinance by Kahr arms I have heard are OK.
    As you probably know the Beretta and any 1911 frame are on total different ends of the spectrum. As an owner of both an SA GI 1911 & a Beretta 92fs I would say go with the SA GI or mil spec as they atre well built pistols and offer the ability to upgrade match parts to your preference as budget allows over time. I have the SA GI models in both .45 & in a more rare 9mm both parkz. not stainless or blue. The Beretta is a solid 9mm but both pistols may be considered heavy to carry as your concealed.

Not by me!

A quality gun belt and a good holster make all the difference in the world.

I often CC a 92FS, 2 extra Mec-Gar 18 round mags, and a fixed blade.

Last edited:

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I have a Taurus PT99 that's close to 20 years old. Its a great gun. If you will eventually end up with one of these (Beretta or Taurus) and a 1911 and are inclined to carry either/both of them, I'd recommend the Taurus over the Beretta in that the PT92/99 has a frame mounted safety which is more like the 1911 (but many other differences of course) while the Beretta has a slide mounted safety which would introduce yet one more difference. Although I believe the Taurus PT series safety now has decocking functionality where as the one I have is old enough that it does not have a decock function.

Personally between the Beretta and the Taurus, I'd chose the Taurus and use the $$$ difference toward another gun/ammo.

As far as which to buy first the Taurus/Beretta or the 1911, that's up to you.

KAS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have the Taurus version of the beretta 92 ($500) and I believe it to be a better gun for less money than beretta (and made in the same brazilian factory). Also, 9mm ammo is pretty inexpensive. However, in terms of shooting enjoyment, my SA Loaded 1911 ($820) is a thing of beauty.

DtK_PhAnToM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Roanoke, IN
    i had the taurus PT92(same as beretta 92) for awhile and i liked it alot just to big to carry. i shot a ton of rounds through it and never had a jam or anything. i even shot wolf out of it a few times. i also have some experience with the Springfield Armory GI 1911 and for a starter 1911 it was great for me. th only thing i disliked was getting hit in the forehead with the empty brass every once and a while.

Tony

emst52

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Lafayette, In
    Im pretty sre my next purchase is going to be a 1911. I really like the SA GI but as of right now i havent seen any available right now hopefully that changes over the next week or so but im still looking at other options

drgnrobo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    ft. wayne
    RIA 1911's usually dont stay in the classifieds to long & several people love them .Its a good gun that dont break the bank. Nice features on the tactical version RIA but Ive always leaned toward Springfield Armory 1911's.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I'm not really up on the 1911 market. However, if you are interested in a Beretta, I would stick with a Beretta. I'm not knocking Taurus, There 92 is one of their better autos. I personally think that the Beretta is more reliable and has better fit and finish. Again that's just a personal choice.

devildawg00311

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Se Indy/Wanamaker
    Im getting ready to look into purchasing my first 1911 but im unsure were to start. I dont want to spend a ton of money since it wont be carried every day but i want a good shooter and somthing i can carry with confedence. I would also like to be able to customize and upgrade if possible. With that said i would like to keep it under 550ish. I like Springfield Aromory but ive seen some others from Auto Ordinance, Rock Island and American Classic or any others you may know of and second if i dont go with a 1911 im looking into a some type of Beretta 92 or a Taurus version i know were a used Taurus is at for around 350 and didnt know if its compareable with the Beretta. Thanks:dunno:

I havent found any new 1911s for under $700, let alone $550. I know you can get used ones around that price. I personally would not get the Taurus. If your're going to get a 1911 and upgrade it then Id stick with a Springfield. Its one of the cheaper 1911s (compared to the Kimber, Para Ordinance, Les Bahr), and its excellent quality. You can do anything to it. The Beretta 92 is a great gun. I used it all throughout my military career and never once had a problem with it. Im actually looking at buy a 92 to add to my collection now.

emst52

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Lafayette, In
    yeah ive noticed the springfield may be hard to get. Ive looked on gungenie.com and theres no Sa1911s in stock. Ive decieded i am willing to pay more if i can find one but gunbrokers got some but i hate to pay retail plus shipping and a transfer

Top Bottom