• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    :dunno: Who cares... Everyone has the right to form their own opinions, even if they are wrong. :):

Orange you glad you live in Indiana where we aren't forced to carry our pieces unloaded?

AJB

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    Blue Tile Spook that is why you should buy the cheap, cheap land in NV or on the CA side near NV. When the big one hits that is going to become prime beachfront property!

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Well, my first question would be, particularly in California (a screwy state if ever there was one, LOL. Trust me on this.), are these folks legally allowed to be carrying their weapons at all?

Here in Indiana, as we all know we don't have a CCW, we have a LTCH. We ALSO don't have a "License To Carry LOADED Handgun", the law not differentiating there.

It's reasonable for any civilian or LEO to presume that IF the person is carrying the weapon openly in a holster, that weapon is loaded.

What the heck is anyone doing carrying an UNloaded weapon in an open carry holster? "Making a point"? Dumb point, IMO.

Further, what's to prevent the nefarious type (and there are P-L-E-N-T-Y of those in California! Trust me on this, too.) from snatching that weapon? Now, we've put another gun on the streets, 'cause I'm pretty sure the scumbag can get ammunition for it.

It ALSO creates a bad image for and hard feelings toward those who DO advocate armed civilians.

Again IMO, this is one of the BIG problems I have with a large segment of OC fans, even though I agree with their 2A rights. Their right, they DO have the right guaranteed under the Constitution, but are incidents like these the best way to bring it to the forefront? Personally, I don't think so.

Just my thoughts.

AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    I believe they can carry the unloaded gun & ammo as long as it's separate.

I do not believe they can carry any type of concealed weapon.

So the point is, having all the pieces to put together is better than having NO pieces at all.

What incidents do you speak of? Any specifics? Do you, ModernGunner, think an UNarmed criminal would approach a visibly armed citizen and attempt to snag their gun?

I would imagine that if a gun grab occurred, the attacker would probably already be armed, or well backed up. A responsible gun owner who goes through the trouble of carrying in California would hopefully be somewhat prepared for these kinds of events.

AJB

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    do what you need to, but i personally would never open carry an unloaded gun....especially with the mag completely separate form the weapon (which i think is the law in CA).

then again, i would never carry a concealed weapon that wasnt loaded. or live in california. ymmv

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    do what you need to, but i personally would never open carry an unloaded gun....especially with the mag completely separate form the weapon (which i think is the law in CA).

then again, i would never carry a concealed weapon that wasnt loaded. or live in california. ymmv

Hugely ginormous ditto!!!!:wallbash:

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    MG, man... Put the anti-OC rant in your sig line. It'll save you some typing in the future.
    AGAIN, BTS, it's NOT an "anti-OC rant", as you have once again alluded to, and obviously are offended by, obviously because you're a hardcore pro-OC ranter. I'm pro-carry, whether CC OR OC, as long as the person carrying is actually thinking and using appropriate awareness and tactics, which MANY do not.

It's a matter of common sense. Carrying an unloaded weapon in a holster on the hip is stupid for several reasons, period. If that's not a common sense reality for everyone here (and elsewhere), that's THEIR problem, not mine.

Moreover, doing so to make some sort of "political statement" is stupid beyond comprehension for ANY reasonable and prudent person, which, in case SOME here aren't aware, is what the law is based upon, the reasonable and prudent man theory. So, it's a "Well, DUH!" thing.

So, now having explained again for the THIRD time to you in my two days here, I'll now kindly ask you to get off my back about it. Thanks a million.

Do you, ModernGunner, think an UNarmed criminal would approach a visibly armed citizen and attempt to snag their gun?

I would imagine that if a gun grab occurred, the attacker would probably already be armed, or well backed up. A responsible gun owner who goes through the trouble of carrying in California would hopefully be somewhat prepared for these kinds of events.

AJB
    To answer AJB, first off, how do you, or they, KNOW that criminal is "UNarmed"? You did address that somewhat.

So, you've got a gun owner (if that weapon wasn't loaded and being OC'd, that's NOT "responsible", at all) LIKELY being approached by either an armed criminal, or a group of possibly unarmed criminals), and ASSUME he / she was appropriately "prepared for these kinds of events"?

I sure wouldn't make that assumption as I've seen too many people carrying weapons (either OC or CC, or even LEO's) that think that gun on their hip put's an 'S' on their chest. It doesn't, believe it. There are some HERE who also believe that, which is obvious in their responses to common sense writings. THESE types are even EASIER targets for street-wise thugs, guaranteed.

Second, these people apparently WEREN'T "visibly armed". The jist of it seems to be they were wearing UNloaded weapons OC to make some kind of ridiculous "political statement", and summarily were (at least some) stopped and searched by the Police.

Third, if YOU believe for one iota that even a "visibly armed" citizen has never been, or could not be, disarmed, even by an "UNarmed criminal", well, I'll submit ya just haven't been around the streets much, no harsh allegation intended.

There's a quite famous video clip (shot from the cruiser) of a big, strong, LEO tackled, subdued, disarmed, shot and murdered by 3 scumbags when the LEO discovered marijuana in the trunk of their car during a traffic stop. I guess "fortunately", he was murdered off camera, so we were spared that gruesome moment.

You've probably seen it on TV about a million times or, if not, you can probably find it on YouTube.

This was a "visibly armed" LEO, in the performance of his lawful duties as an officer of the law, with years on the department and years of training, that was disarmed and murdered by those three scumbags.

So, is ANYONE here, even those here that ARE trained LEO's, going to even attempt to tell me that it's IMPOSSIBLE for them to be disarmed under ANY circumstances? I'll submit that's a trainload of b.s., and ANY EXPERIENCED, street-proven member of this forum knows it.

It's even more true for the clueless that wear a simple Level I security holster OC, or even worse for some vacuous types that wear an open-top holster. Even CC, let alone the mind-numbingly stupid open-top exposed OC, which I've actually seen worn around this area!

So, yeah, I'm absolutely CERTAIN that these yabos peacocking around with their empty guns on their hips COULD have EASILY been disarmed by experienced street criminals.

That garbage that street criminals are "stupid", or "scared", or whatever bill of goods SOME people have bought into is just that... garbage.

They'd likely have no real problem disarming one of those California "protesters", even if it required beating them into a coma, to get another "free gun" for their nefarious use.

SOME members here can be "offended" or "taken aback" if they want (see above), and tout whatever braggadocio and rhetoric they wish to spew. That's all well and good.

But I KNOW it's a boatload of b.s., and so does any seasoned, street-wise LEO, prison guard, etc.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I'm glad to see there are some fine citizens in Cali out enlightening some people.

First thing I'd tell ALL of them is to leave the mag out, why have to drop an empty to put in a full one?

AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    To answer AJB, first off, how do you, or they, KNOW that criminal is "UNarmed"? You did address that somewhat.

So, you've got a gun owner (if that weapon wasn't loaded and being OC'd, that's NOT "responsible", at all*that is California rules! Law abiding citizens cannot, apparently, carry a loaded gun* It has nothing to do with the citizen being responsible.) LIKELY being approached by either an armed criminal, or a group of possibly unarmed criminals), and ASSUME he / she was appropriately "prepared for these kinds of events"? Yes, if you know that you can't carry a loaded gun in California but can carry the ammo in a different pocket, you better believe I and other "responsible" gun owners, who choose to carry for their protection, would practice drawing/loading/racking/aiming as quickly as possible, precisely for the situation you described above.

I sure wouldn't make that assumption as I've seen too many people carrying weapons (either OC or CC, or even LEO's) that think that gun on their hip put's an 'S' on their chest. It doesn't, believe it. There are some HERE who also believe that, which is obvious in their responses to common sense writings. THESE types are even EASIER targets for street-wise thugs, guaranteed. I will not disagree that some people here are probably not responsible gun owners. It is a HUGE responsibility to take on and some people aren't mature enough to handle it.

Second, these people apparently WEREN'T "visibly armed". The jist of it seems to be they were wearing UNloaded weapons OC to make some kind of ridiculous "political statement", and summarily were (at least some) stopped and searched by the Police.
    *Again, this is the law as imposed by the elected government officials of California. The citizens CAN'T carry a loaded gun. They CAN'T carry a concealed gun.*

Third, if YOU believe for one iota that even a "visibly armed" citizen has never been, or could not be, disarmed, even by an "UNarmed criminal", well, I'll submit ya just haven't been around the streets much, no harsh allegation intended.
    I never said it couldn't happen! You don't have to be around "the streets" to figure out that sh*t happens. Bad things happen to nice people in nice places. These Californians are only trying to protect themselves within the means of the law.

There's a quite famous video clip (shot from the cruiser) of a big, strong, LEO tackled, subdued, disarmed, shot and murdered by 3 scumbags when the LEO discovered marijuana in the trunk of their car during a traffic stop. I guess "fortunately", he was murdered off camera, so we were spared that gruesome moment.
    Ok? For this I am sorry. But you don't see armed citizens of California making traffic stops or serving warrants or running radar. All they are trying to do is protect themselves.

You've probably seen it on TV about a million times or, if not, you can probably find it on YouTube.
    I'll skip that one, thanks.

This was a "visibly armed" LEO, in the performance of his lawful duties as an officer of the law, with years on the department and years of training, that was disarmed and murdered by those three scumbags.
    See my point above

So, is ANYONE here, even those here that ARE trained LEO's, going to even attempt to tell me that it's IMPOSSIBLE for them to be disarmed under ANY circumstances? I'll submit that's a trainload of b.s., and ANY EXPERIENCED, street-proven member of this forum knows it.
    No one said it's impossible...

It's even more true for the clueless that wear a simple Level I security holster OC, or even worse for some vacuous types that wear an open-top holster. Even CC, let alone the mind-numbingly stupid open-top exposed OC, which I've actually seen worn around this area!
    Yes because we hear about gun grabs all day long on the news. I can only remember (1) post here on INGO where an OC'ing citizen had his gun snagged. If I remember correctly their was quite a discussion on situational awareness afterwords.

So, yeah, I'm absolutely CERTAIN that these yabos peacocking around with their empty guns on their hips COULD have EASILY been disarmed by experienced street criminals.

That garbage that street criminals are "stupid", or "scared", or whatever bill of goods SOME people have bought into is just that... garbage.
    That is going to depend on the individual criminal. You never hear about the crimes that are averted due to the potential perp seeing a citizen OC'ing.
    They'd likely have no real problem disarming one of those California "protesters", even if it required beating them into a coma, to get another "free gun" for their nefarious use.
    I'd imagine those "protesters" would put up more of a fight than you think.

SOME members here can be "offended" or "taken aback" if they want (see above), and tout whatever braggadocio and rhetoric they wish to spew. That's all well and good.

But I KNOW it's a boatload of b.s., and so does any seasoned, street-wise LEO, prison guard, etc.
    LOL, If you know it all then you should run for president and save our country instead of trying to save California's OC'ers.

AJB

Tallenn

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Thorntown
    I believe they can carry the unloaded gun & ammo as long as it's separate.

I do not believe they can carry any type of concealed weapon.

So the point is, having all the pieces to put together is better than having NO pieces at all.

What incidents do you speak of? Any specifics? Do you, ModernGunner, think an UNarmed criminal would approach a visibly armed citizen and attempt to snag their gun?

AJB
    You can carry in CA openly without a permit, but the gun must be unloaded (you can have the ammo with you, and it can be loaded in magazine/speedloader). There is no pre-emption, so some cities/counties forbid carrying without permit completely. There is a carry permit, which allows for loaded carry, both concealed and openly, but CA is a MAY-issue state, meaning your chances of getting a permit depend on your location, and often, who you know.

Many people in CA carry openly and unloaded, because that is the only way they CAN carry (legally).

Top Bottom