• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cantbephaded04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    After a couple months of planning, research, and serious brain malfunctions I beleive I have came to a decision of what I will buy. I have been waiting a couple months for Monday the 13th to arrive because that is the day everything comes together for me to make my purchase.

I had been seriously debating between Sig P250, Sig P229, and the Walther P99. The Walther is just so ergonomically correct that I have to have it. Plus my first firearm was the P22 and I loved it.

Now just as I made this decision I hear news of Walthers new PK380. This through me for a loop. I am set with my P99 but my only question, comment, or concern is why the price difference. The P99 is about $630 or so and the PK380 is supposed to list at about $400. My local store doesnt yet have the PK380 and couldnt speculate.

I was just wondering if anyone had any insight on significant differences between these two guns to justify a minimum of 200 dollar difference between the two.

P.S. Pictures willlll be posted Monday! :rockwoot: :rockwoot:

Cantbephaded04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Yes I do understand the difference in caliber. Actually I think I will be getting the P99 in .40 caliber. Ok besides the obvious caliber difference is there any other differences that would justify this price difference?

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    barrel and grip length, proven design. the p22 tend to be finicky with ammo ( my understanding from reading is you have to play hit and miss till you find a brand that cycles well) capacity.the P99 seems like a better choice as a defensive pistol.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Their .380 is basically a suped up P22.

While the frames are great....the slides are their weak link. On the P22, if I remember correctly, they're a zinc-alloy. A generally soft and weak alloy. But it's CHEAP and easy to machine. Which is why it's used on a lot of "low end" firearms. Walther's use of this stuff for their products is a little strange, too... I guess it's all about overhead and profit margins.

There have been reports of P22 slides breaking in half under the stress of the .22LR cartridge. If they use just a slightly upscale version of the same slide for the 380...I'd be worried. Those new pistols do look sharp, though, don't they?

The P99 is a 100% better firearm than the 380 will be. An actual steel slide that can take the abuse of the cartridge that it's designed for. And you'll get a de-cocker. (Somehow, calling this the Lorena Bobbit feature has never caught on). They're quite accurate, too. I found the felt recoil on the P99 to be a little more "flippy" than on other pistols, however. But definitely not unmanageable.

And if you get the AS trigger on yours.... Oh man, what a stroke of engineering genius that is!!

-J-

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    pictures

I have a P99C in 40 S&W that I really like. I bought it for CC but it is a litter bigger than I want to carry every day so I went to a LCP. The Walthers is a great gun and gets a two thumbs up from me. Night sights are great too. :yesway: :yesway:

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Last edited:

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I have a sw99 in 40 and it is a proven carry gun, the polymer frame makes it very carry friendly, its size I think is great for a carry gun, its not so big that its hanging down or poking our, but its big enough to fill your hand and shoot, I use mine in combat courses and for carry, Sigs are good guns, the walter 380 is new and I would give it a year to settle out before jumping in as my only carry gun, there may be a revision coming where you may be without a piece for a month while it goes to be serviced,

my 2 cents

Cantbephaded04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Thanks Indy guy and everybody else that information was quite helpful and makes me even more excited for my Monday purchase assuiming the store didnt sell it over the weekend. Ill keep my fingers crossed, if not guess ill be driving to indy to pick one up.

woodcox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    Westside of Indy
    I have not used the other guns, but I have a P229 stainless steel with night sights for sale right now. 2-12rd mags 1-10 rd. houge grips. box and all paper work. looking for 550-575. PM me if interested.

Cantbephaded04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    IndyGuy:: I went Monday afternoon and paid for the P99 full size .40 but wasnt able to bring her home cuz i got one of those "delayed" purchases deals. I guess it means the gov't had three days to decide if i am worthy or not or some nonsense. Anyways today is Friday and I picked her up today she is beautiful!!! I will have pictures posted hopefully later tonight if not then tommorow. Thanks all.

Cantbephaded04

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    Its the "AS" model rather than the QA if thats accurate. Anyways I have heard a few things about the As trigger system which I admit seems amazing though havent shot it yet only owned it for 8 hours. But also people were praising the night sights. Was that a factory install because mine are definitly not night sights.

Right after I got mine I found out they just got another P99 compact which I havent actually seen but I was kinda mad I think maybe that woulda been a bit better for me but still I love the full size.

Ive never owned a gun with the accesorry rail and kinda curious what I should plop on there whether a light or laser or those cool but completely useless bayonets.

Top Bottom