• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    OK. The nice older guy at the walmart just told me that a 40% price hike in comming sometime this month. So I bought 500rds of blazer 9mm. (96$) And plan to buy more b4 the hike. Get it while its cheap!

Blazer has been 100% great stuff! my XD and my M&P 9c love it! So does my wallet!:draw:

concrete dog

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 19, 2008
    Goshen
    iwas just in wal-mart wed.(NORTHREN IN)the guy working sporting goods said the price will probably be going down the next few months.guess we will have to sit back and watch

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    I'm not sure what kind of knowledge the guy had but I'm going to have to call shenanigans. A family member used to work in the sporting goods section at the Avon Walmart. I told him to let me know the next time they were going to increase prices so that I could come in and clean them out before the prices were raised. He said that they had no idea when prices were going to change or what they were going to change to. Someone at corporate just pushes a button (ok maybe slightly more involved, but you get the idea) and the prices are changed without warning. He said sometimes he didn't know the prices had changed until he was ringing up items and noticed it. They don't want the employees knowing when the prices are going to change so that they don't clear them out at the lower price.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I'm not sure what kind of knowledge the guy had but I'm going to have to call shenanigans. A family member used to work in the sporting goods section at the Avon Walmart. I told him to let me know the next time they were going to increase prices so that I could come in and clean them out before the prices were raised. He said that they had no idea when prices were going to change or what they were going to change to. Someone at corporate just pushes a button (ok maybe slightly more involved, but you get the idea) and the prices are changed without warning. He said sometimes he didn't know the prices had changed until he was ringing up items and noticed it. They don't want the employees knowing when the prices are going to change so that they don't clear them out at the lower price.

:+1: That's really what I was thinking when I read that. I've worked corporate retail for a few venues when I was younger, you only know price increases/decreases when they give you the new price tag barcodes every week there's a sale or new product or a price change. Most of the time, general and regional managers don't know.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    BINGO! BINGO!
    When I worked at The Sports Authority none of us including the REGIONAL MANAGER knew what the sales were going to be or when price drops were going to occur until SAT NIGHT after the store closed and we were ready to redo prices and put the new inventory on the floor.

As has been stated if cooperate tells the store ahead of schedule the employees either buy it all up or leak it to buy it all up. Not good for inventory.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    my good friend is a manager of a wal-mart in southern indiana(I don't want to out him) I'll call him tomorrow and ask him if this is true.

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    AMMO?

Forgive if this has been answered before. Do Wal-mart employees get their discount on ammo also? If so they get good deals and more power to them! Wish I did!:dunno:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    OK. The nice older guy at the walmart just told me that a 40% price hike in comming sometime this month. So I bought 500rds of blazer 9mm. (96$) And plan to buy more b4 the hike. Get it while its cheap!

iwas just in wal-mart wed.(NORTHREN IN)the guy working sporting goods said the price will probably be going down the next few months.guess we will have to sit back and watch

Contradictory information.

Supporting evidence to indicate the "nice older guy" was lying through his teeth.

Metal prices are down, from what I hear.

So why are ammo prices still high and rumored to be rising?

Turtle, sorry to say this, but your actions would be at least part of the reason why prices just may go up after all: If the stores are selling like crazy, prices will keep going up. If they start seeing sales drop, prices will drop also- supply and demand. Sure, it's a gamble, but I'm betting that Blazer, Winchester, Remington, Federal, and the other ammo manufacturers are not going out of business. Cut your shooting or learn to reload and I bet those ammo prices drop like a rock.

:twocents:

Blessings,
    B

kec2306

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Franklin
    Ammo rising all over

I heard a similiar story at gander Mountain!! Guess we should expect it. I say buy up while its right!!

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    My thought is that all these "other" companys are jealous over the gas companys record profits and abillity to gouge. They are all crooks! cheaper cost + higher price = record profits and fat raises for a few old crusty crooks.

And I would have bought the ammo any ways! My guns are just paper weights without the stuff!

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    You should have been buying when cheap and plentiful. Metal prices have crashed through the floor. If ammo follows suit, buy while you can at the lower price.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    He said sometimes he didn't know the prices had changed until he was ringing up items and noticed it.

+1 Thats why you must check the prices at walmart and then what they ring up everywhere.

I was in walmart back just before one of the big jumps. I picked up 2 boxes of the remington 100 rd hollowpoints for what was 28 bucks at the time. I thought it looked low, but prices had just started jumping and I hadn't bought in a couple months. Rang up 34.96. I had them correct the error and bought the last 4 boxes they had at the marked price. They bitched a little, but they are required to honor their posted prices. I think those boxes are at 39 right now IIRC.

pmpmstrb

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2008
    Forgive if this has been answered before. Do Wal-mart employees get their discount on ammo also? If so they get good deals and more power to them! Wish I did!:dunno:

Unless they have changed it, employees get 10% off everything except grocery and clearance marked items.

+1 Thats why you must check the prices at walmart and then what they ring up everywhere.

I was in walmart back just before one of the big jumps. I picked up 2 boxes of the remington 100 rd hollowpoints for what was 28 bucks at the time. I thought it looked low, but prices had just started jumping and I hadn't bought in a couple months. Rang up 34.96. I had them correct the error and bought the last 4 boxes they had at the marked price. They bitched a little, but they are required to honor their posted prices. I think those boxes are at 39 right now IIRC.

+1. If I see something that I think is too good to be true I'll make note of the price and watch it ring up. Sometimes I'll take the item to the price scan at the end of the aisle to check it. This also lets you know if you need to keep an eye on it at the checkout lane. My brother cleared out the BBurg Walmart of the Rayovac headlamps because somebody had marked them as $10 instead of the $24.97 they should have been.

lester

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Greencastle
    I am the store manager of a very large 'big box' retail store. The prices of the ammunition that I sell in my store are set and adjusted the same as anything else in the building. Price changes are calculated and communicated by the corporate headquarters based on seasonal demand, distribution center stock level, reorder availability, future store shelf space planning, anticipated demand, and even local inventory levels. When the price of any item changes, it could be a mark down (getting rid of too much or preparing to clear the merchandise out for another shelf layout) or it could be a mark up to reflect a new merchant strategy for the category (based on criteria similar to those listed above). When price changes happen, the store personnel, especially nice older guys who work as department heads or floor service associates have no idea they are coming until they are due. If the store executes the price change correctly, they will activate the new price in their registers and change the shelf edge pricing label. If the register operator rings a price that does not properly reflect the price marked on the shelf or the item, then the store team did not execute correctly.

It is my opinion that the nice old guy was confused. It is certainly a possibility that the price of ammunition could continue to rise at Walmart -- but the people that work on the sales floor there will be the last ones to know it.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    All of this makes good sense, but I have a "nice lady" instead of a "nice old man" that sells me Wal-Mart ammunition.

She warned me of coming price hikes twice last year, and the hikes came just as she foretold. Almost to the day.

Esp? Or maybe she was just running lucky guesses under the assumption of hikes due to the price of metals or the uneasiness about the coming elections..................

If I get some free time this weekend I will try to catch her behind the counter and discreetly pick her brain, IF there is not a lot of big ears hanging around.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    The way I see it is this... We all actually need to decrease our spending on ammo. Instead of snatching it up because of a upcoming price increase just lay low and quit buying. This is the only thing that will have a positive impact on the cost of ammo. As long as were feeding the sharks the more they will keep coming back and raising the costs.

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    The way I see it is this... We all actually need to decrease our spending on ammo. Instead of snatching it up because of a upcoming price increase just lay low and quit buying. This is the only thing that will have a positive impact on the cost of ammo. As long as were feeding the sharks the more they will keep coming back and raising the costs.

:+1:

If I NEED ammo, I'll buy some, but I haven't been stocking any up to try to bring demand and prices down.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1776Defend2ndAmend
    Top Bottom