• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Scottie1317

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Is Wal-Mart keeping ammo prices down? Are they the single biggest buyer of ammo besides the federal Gov't? I have not noticed a price increase at the wal-mart's

Do you think this will keep the price of ammo from going up to these prices forever?

gunslinger762

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Only time will answer that question. Really it boils down to supply and demand. Right now as soon as things get put onto a shelf its getting bought. That is high demand. Even Walmart may not be able to fight that. But again it depends on how sustained this will all be.

Zachary8328

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 12, 2012
    I just enjoyed my local Wal-mart selling me 7.62 x39 ammo for 5.17$ a box. Been the first time I've been able to get my hands on it in about a month. The manager told me that they have no intentions of raising the prices as of yet. I know I don't mind. The cheapest price at a gun store has been 8.00$ a box. I hope it doesn't go up and if it does there's not much we can do on our parts

Engalwood

Expert
    Rating - 95.7%
    22   1   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    Greenwood
    I don't think Wally will? I look at it as they are the biggest dealer n ammo and you have to look at it this way.

They figure that since they sell so much why mess it up? Sell at reasonable prices and sell A C H I T ton of it or raise prices and sell not as much? I think that the more you sell the better at reasonable pricing?

mskendall

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 10, 2009
    NE Indy
    Whether true or not, the manager told me they're eyeing a, roughly, 10% increase in April. I'm not sure if it's a supply and demand thing or materials, gas, etc...

Kirkd

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Greenwood
    I just enjoyed my local Wal-mart selling me 7.62 x39 ammo for 5.17$ a box. Been the first time I've been able to get my hands on it in about a month. The manager told me that they have no intentions of raising the prices as of yet. I know I don't mind. The cheapest price at a gun store has been 8.00$ a box. I hope it doesn't go up and if it does there's not much we can do on our parts

Gander MountAin in Greenwood had about 30 boxes for $6.99/each, steel casing. Bradis had quite a bit. They had 5 boxes taped together for $40

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    As long as the Fed keeps printing more and more dollars the prices will continue to go up. If only because of the world commodity market. This is one of the reasons for the sudden surge in gasoline pricing.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Putnam County
    Good news is that there is more and more ammo finally coming around back on the shelf's and gun shops and retailers are finally bringing there prices back down to normal. The Indy 1500 wasn't to bad a little high but to be expected of a gun show but thanks to ZXGUN out of Goshen Indiana that was there had there prices at normal what it was before the prior events they have my business.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    I stopped in Meijer in Camby this afternoon and they were in the process of raising prices on the non shotgun ammo they had in stock, which wasn't much. They had Winchester (I think) green box .30-06 and they were raising the price $2/box as I watched.

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    Two weeks ago I was able to find some Winchester 9mm & 45acp at Wally World. Both were about 15-20% higher than their prices 3 months ago. But they were still less expensive than any you can find on-line, if you can find any.

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    A worker at Gander Mountain the other day told me that all ammo distributors received a letter from the ammo mfgrs saying that they'll have to raise their prices due to new Federal Taxes aimed towards them. So I wouldn't speak too soon about keeping prices low... BTW, in my educated opinion, it's not so much availability and taxation it's more to the fact that the dollar isn't buying as much as it did yesterday... "You wanna follow the value of metal, follow the decline of the dollar!"

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    A worker at Gander Mountain the other day told me that all ammo distributors received a letter from the ammo mfgrs saying that they'll have to raise their prices due to new Federal Taxes aimed towards them. So I wouldn't speak too soon about keeping prices low... BTW, in my educated opinion, it's not so much availability and taxation it's more to the fact that the dollar isn't buying as much as it did yesterday... "You wanna follow the value of metal, follow the decline of the dollar!"
    Copper prices are up. Not as high as that spike a year or so ago, but still higher than they've been.

Boring2u

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Can you get a rain check on current prices? Wal-Mart's policy is to have items stocked and offer rain checks if items are unavailable at advertised prices. Someone should try asking for a rain check.

10mmfan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    Well as much as I support Walmart with my wallet their employees are typically idiots. One of them at Plymouth store told me they were not reordering ammo till after 2013 (this was after thanksgiving but before The atrocity at Sandy Hook.) Said it was due to a 7 cent per round ammo tax. Went on Internet to verify this tax business and it was B.S. Another tool at Walmart that knows nothing working in sporting goods.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    all these reports from one place or another from a guy I know sorta makes it all seem bad. Then you realize this is the interweb and people just want to seem like they're on the inside.
    It makes them feel important and like they know something you don't. Trouble is, they don't know anything you don't.
    It's really just fuel for the fire and maybe even a little hot air to help the sparks burst into flame again. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom