• ...and so much more!
  • tbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Walmart isn't generating the runs, the morons who shop (or hang out or whatever...) there are. They need to get it together and clean up their act, starting with a public information campaign that goes something like this:

"If you want to continue to have a local Walmart to shop at, do your part to support a safe, family-friendly environment for all". Or does political correctness prohibit such a direct approach?

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    Okay, so they get a ticket or fine every time the PD has a run there, what happens WHEN that isn't enough and doesn't have an effect? Wal-marx can have all the security guards they like. I don't think it will matter. They aren't permitted to actually DO anything if the person doesn't cooperate and come to the office correct? It's not like the employees can lay the smackdown on anyone.

What's the next step? Can the city actually shut them down? Would they? If they did, all that crime would be spread out to the other businesses then. Wal-marx is fairly easy, yes they have cameras but hardly a live person around most of the time. Very short staffed to save money. If those who shoplift there move to smaller businesses it may not be so easy and some may take more drastic means to get what they want.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    That Walmart is right at the highway exit so riff raff from all over town is about 15 minutes away. Not to mentioned the large number of mouth breathing rednecks that live in the grove. The high crime rate at Walmart is because of the customer base, not the store.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Walmart isn't generating the runs, the morons who shop (or hang out or whatever...) there are. They need to get it together and clean up their act, starting with a public information campaign that goes something like this:

"If you want to continue to have a local Walmart to shop at, do your part to support a safe, family-friendly environment for all". Or does political correctness prohibit such a direct approach?

That Walmart is right at the highway exit so riff raff from all over town is about 15 minutes away. Not to mentioned the large number of mouth breathing rednecks that live in the grove. The high crime rate at Walmart is because of the customer base, not the store.

^^^These^^^ were my thoughts as well. Unless the mayor is prepared to give all Walmart employees police powers :nailbite:, I don't really see how this is going to do anything (other than make Walmart pay for the bad behavior of other people).

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy

This.

I live here, I know the customer base.
    Walmart is nothing more than a retailer trying to do legitimate business.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Even if Walmart hires 100 security personnel, and they catch every single shoplifter/shampoo fighter, the police are still going to have to make a run to pick up the ones they catch, right? So would Walmart be charged for that?

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Don't forget, the legislature downgraded theft from a level 6 felony to an A misdemeanor (under $750).

This seems like rational behavior to me...

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    One of the few actual responsibilities of government is to protect private property rights. Looks like they want to get out of that area. I bet our libertarians here on the INGO will be along shortly to voice their outrage.

Gadgetmonster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Southport area
    I am in Beech Grove 2-3 times a week and by and large the town has honest, decent, hard working people. I like the place, the businesses are run by local, dedicated small business owners.

Sure there are some low life's in BG but that can be found everywhere.

But when I go to that WalMart it about makes me sick. These are not all Beech Grove people. It is the nasty a-- people that hang out there that cause me to go down the street to Meijer.

I applaud Mayor Buckley for calling a spade a spade. Some how WalMart needs to clean up their act in BG.

Clean up the store and really keep it spit shined. Bring in adult strong willed managers that demand staff be vigilant in keeping the store clean and report thugs to security at the drop of a hat.

Police hellion rugrats that ride the new bicycles over to the food section and dump them. Drag the Hellion rugrats back to their parent and warn them and watch them.

Add many more security personnel with radios that can communicate and really have a presence when thugs congregate.

Come on WalMart... the community is being pulled down. Help turn it around.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

Do you really think that would have any effect on the people that need to straighten out their acts? :laugh:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I am in Beech Grove 2-3 times a week and by and large the town has honest, decent, hard working people. I like the place, the businesses are run by local, dedicated small business owners.

Sure there are some low life's in BG but that can be found everywhere.

But when I go to that WalMart it about makes me sick. These are not all Beech Grove people. It is the nasty a-- people that hang out there that cause me to go down the street to Meijer.

I applaud Mayor Buckley for calling a spade a spade. Some how WalMart needs to clean up their act in BG.

Clean up the store and really keep it spit shined. Bring in adult strong willed managers that demand staff be vigilant in keeping the store clean and report thugs to security at the drop of a hat.

Police hellion rugrats that ride the new bicycles over to the food section and dump them. Drag the Hellion rugrats back to their parent and warn them and watch them.

Add many more security personnel with radios that can communicate and really have a presence when thugs congregate.

Come on WalMart... the community is being pulled down. Help turn it around.
    So, you suggest they open themselves to a bunch of lawsuits? This is America, 2015. A business can't do anything to these people without getting sued. This is why things have progressed to where they are.

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    “There is a 10-day grace period. Then after that, we will issue them a ticket every time we go down to the Walmart for being a nuisance. The intent is to discourage the behavior,” says Buckley.

Wow! That's a big help mayor.
    Maybe Walmart should just let people do as they please and not say anything about it since Walmart is the bad guy here.

I used to sit on the benches by the restroom and wait for my wife to finish shopping.
    Watching people while I waited was sometimes enough to make me sick. Some people have no respect for themselves at all.
    So now I just go down to Hardy's and wait for her to call me.
    If I see the Mayor I'm going to ask him just how he figures this is all Walmart fault. I know it's not.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    If Walmart is smart, they'll lay off their entire work force, close the store, and leave an empty building for Beech Grove to deal with.

mondomojo

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2015
    India-no-place
    If Walmart is smart, they'll lay off their entire work force, close the store, and leave an empty building for Beech Grove to deal with.

^^^THIS^^^ Walmart is not to blame for the people that walk through it's doors or their behavior while inside. The dirtbag criminals are the problem, not the retail store. If Wallyworld was to close its doors the dirtbags would go to the next nearest mass retailer to do their shoplifting. Then what, close Meijer? It's a societal problem, not a retail problem. The city of beach grove is acting stupidly by vilifying the retailer and ignoring the real problem, which is a small percentage of the people that patronize the store.

Top Bottom