• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • How do you have visiting kids address you?

• Total voters

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I'm still in my mid 30's and growing up all my friends and I always called each others parents Mr or Mrs.

Is that dead now?

How do you have visiting kids address you? Does it matter on their ages?

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I'm still in my mid 30's and growing up all my friends and I always called each others parents Mr or Mrs.

Is that dead now?

How do you have visiting kids address you? Does it matter on their ages?

I always called(and still do) my friend's parents Mr. or Mrs. and any of my 6 year old son's friends are kids from my friends they and call me "Uncle."

To answer your question, I couldn't possibly care less if they address me as Mr. LastName" or "Ben."

AKg20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2011
    up yonder
    I was just thinking about this yesterday, I was wondering if things had changed and I just didn't get the memo...

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    They call me a** h*** :rolleyes: No wonder punch those little monsters in the face! :):

Im in my mid 20's, little kids call me by my first name, teenagers too.
    I would feel weird having a teenager a few years younger than me calling me "Sir".
    If I visit someone that I dont know I call them "Mr." or "Mrs.", unless they tell me to call them by their first name.
    My girlfriend's dad I call him "Mr." or "Sir".

7th Stepper

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2011
    Indiana
    Our daughters friends are mostly in their 20's and if they're girls, they just call me "mom". Potential suitors refer to us as Mr. or Mrs. usually while they're in the "size em up, and interrogate em" stage. The status of boyfriend (or intended), as long as they don't have a criminal record, are allowed to call me mom too. But Bill is Mr. or Sir to the guys, and Bill to the girls.

I used to call my friends parents Mr. or Mrs. until I was in my 30's, then I got permission to call them by their first names. They said that to still refer to them by a Title, made them feel way to old. Now that I'm in their category, I fully understand why they said that! :)

7th Stepper

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    My wife's parents have been "Mom and Dad" for the last 9 years. The first year we were together it was Mr. Mrs.

My best friend's parents have always been mom and dad. We have been best friend's since we were knee high snot-nosed punks, so we grew up in each other's houses. Hell to this day I am still welcome to walk into his parent's house whenever, and they get mad if I dont stop by when Im in the area.

As to the idea the OP was getting to, respect is something that has gone by the wayside, unfortunately. My parents raised me to always show someone respect, period. If I was at a friend's house, I showed their parents respect, did as they asked etc, if I didnt, they had full clearance from my parents to knock me into the next room, same went with my friend's at my house.

Most parents today dont seem to want to teach these kinds of morals to their children, and thats really sad. My daughter will be taught these things, and I wont back down from it. She will be a respectful girl/young lady/woman, as I cant stand a mouthy, rude kid.

-MColford

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Just about all the kids that I see call me by my first name. That doesn't bother me at all. Only ones that bother me is if my nephew or niece calls me by my first name.

But my boys call people Mr or Mrs. Being from the south it is just something you are taught to do at a early age. I think it is a show of respect. We try hard to teach our boys that sort of thing. My boys will fight over which one gets to hold the door for people at stores or restaurants. I am surprised how many don't say "thank you" for that, my wife always say "Thank you boys for holding the door for people EVEN IF THEY ARE RUDE AND WON"T SAY IT".

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    My daughter is two. All her classmates at her day care call me "Mommy." :) The teachers there are all "Miss <first_name>" so I'm sure eventually I'll morph into "Ms. Pami." I still try to call my friends' parents Mr. and Mrs., but the last two times I did that, I got the last name wrong because I didn't realize they didn't share the same name as my friends.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    I'm young enough that it's jarring when someone else calls me "sir" while I'm at work :):

I have always been taught to address any adult as mr/mrs or sir/mam unless that adult told me to do otherwise. "So-and-so's mom/dad" was also permissible if I didn't know the last name.

Forgetting to do that usually merited a "look" from my parents. The "look" was something to be avoided :D

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN
    My wife and I are 29 and 30 and our 7 and 9 year old girls have been taught to use mr. and mrs. when addressing an adult. My wife and her family are from TN so I think that has a lot to do with it.

Jerrek

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 17, 2011
    Brownsburg
    Kids from church call me Mr. Sam alot of my Girl's friend call me coach. I coach the V-ball team. I've had a couple just call me by my first name. I was always brought up to show respect ( Mr, Mrs, or Miss ) I doesn't really bother me if they are not trying to be a smart #$$.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    I am 43 - yikes and my kids's(HS and MS age) friends call us Mr. and Mrs. and we expect the same. There are a few exceptions for the super long term friends.

Top Bottom