• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • latj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Simple: the only Android evangelists I encounter are people with rooted phones...
    I would definitely not say I'm an evangelist but I am certainly a fan. I'm also not against the Apple products, I bought my wife an iPod Touch simply because I think it's the best mp3 player on the market, bar none! The fact that I can root it and tinker with it also keeps me from wanting to run out and buy the newest bang, whiz phone on the market.

I liked the Droid too, because of the physical keyboard but I hadn't realized how good the touch screens had gotten, I almost never use it.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    And, as far as the CDMA debate goes with voice and data simultaneously (which is a limitation of the technology, NOT the the network), that will be a moot point when LTE has more market penetration (which will likely happen this year).

I still say it would be foolish to buy a Verizon iPhone. If you want the iPhone and Verizons network that bad, might as well wait for the iPhone 5 (or whatever they call it). Since it will likely be an LTE phone it will be more functional (both AT&T and Verizon are switching to LTE, so one phone will work on both networks).

I agree that at present, a CDMA iPhone seems like a step backward. The only people it is likely to please are those in markets like New York City and San Francisco, where AT&T coverage is apparently the seventh layer of Hell.

redbaron

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Elberfeld
    Verizon's network/hardware (one of the two, perhaps both) can't handle data + voice simultaneously. That is, you can't be on a call and look something up on the internet without hanging up first.

I never thought I would use this function (browse while talking on the phone), but I have used it quite a bit. It does come in handy some times.

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008
    . If my phone could be easily rooted, I might do it. Unfortunately, Motorola has made it pretty tricky (at least the last time I checked). Either way, I'd MUCH rather have a non-rooted Droid 2 than the jailbroken (or not) iPhone.

My friend rooted his Droid 2 Global the other day and put Android 2.3 on it. So it's possible now!

AppleBonker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    Valpo
    I agree that at present, a CDMA iPhone seems like a step backward. The only people it is likely to please are those in markets like New York City and San Francisco, where AT&T coverage is apparently the seventh layer of Hell.

Well, AT&T was pretty terrible in Chicago when I lived there. Personally, I think I'd rather have the Verizon iPhone. Being that I'm on Verizon now and I understand how much more 3G coverage there is. I understand that the 3G on Verizon is slower, but you can access it more places. Nothing was more frustrating on AT&T than dropping down to edge. Also, I do understand that this is based solely on my usage locations/experience.

Also, I never used the data and voice at the same time. That could be because I don't talk on the phone much. I'm more likely to text or use the web. So again, for my personal use this is a feature that is not missed.

Edit: I should point out that I still wouldn't buy the phone now. With a required 2 year contract, this is not the ideal time. Wait for the iPhone 5 or LTE or whatever they call it. Don't lock into a phone right now if you're interested in the iPhone. Just my two cents.

My friend rooted his Droid 2 Global the other day and put Android 2.3 on it. So it's possible now!

Interesting. I'll have to go back through and do some reading. However, to be completely honest, part of the reason I ditched the iPhone was that an unmodified Android phone could do all I needed it to do. The jailbroken iPhone was just more work than I was willing to contribute to keeping a phone running. Every time there was an update I had numerous additional steps I had to take. I am truly enjoying not having to do that anymore. I spend enough time trying to keep my computers running Linux smoothly, I don't really have enough time to play with the phone too.

Top Bottom