• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Well, it's official now. Verizon is getting the iPhone. It's hardware is different than the AT&T version (CDMA), so you won't be able to use an AT&T phone on their network. Nor will you be able to use the phone function and web browsing at the same time, (unlike AT&T). But, for those that have been waiting, it's now here and you'll be able to start buying them in the next month or so.

Verizon Announces iPhone 4 Coming Next Month - The Consumerist

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    I'm a MAC guy since Dec. 2009. Knew it was coming but crushed my blackberry in November and I'm stuck with a Samsung Fascinate on my contract. :xmad: Nothing wrong with the Samsung except that they go out of their way to be incompatible with the MAC. I have managed to put music on and take pictures the phone off by mounting the phone as a mass storage device.

I'm sure my user experience with an iphone would be much more pleasant whenever I can get one.

zombiehunter

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    New Castle, IN
    I always thought I wanted an iphone, then I got an ipod touch and KNEW I wanted one.....then I bought my htc incredible, sold my ipod touch, and couldn't care less about the iphone! lol

dagibson1507

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Muncie, IN
    I think they are to late. The only verizon customers interested in this are the ones jumping ship from at&t. Droid has surpassed iphone in my opinion.

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    I bet there will be a ton of pissed of Verizon Iphone users that rushed over and bought one as soon as they could, when they learn the Iphone 5 is scheduled to release this June.

redbaron

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Elberfeld
    I think they are to late. The only verizon customers interested in this are the ones jumping ship from at&t. Droid has surpassed iphone in my opinion.

I don't think so. I think the timing is perfect and well played by Verizon. They brought the Droid out and got their current customers to buy them as well as pulled a few customers from AT&T. Now with the iPhone, they'll get several of those that bought Droids to upgrade to the iPhone and get those customers from AT&T that are only with them because of the iPhone.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I bet there will be a ton of pissed of Verizon Iphone users that rushed over and bought one as soon as they could, when they learn the Iphone 5 is scheduled to release this June.

but the reason people are going to verizon is because AT&T sucks so the i-phone 5 shouldn't matter much.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I always thought I wanted an iphone, then I got an ipod touch and KNEW I wanted one.....then I bought my htc incredible, sold my ipod touch, and couldn't care less about the iphone! lol

Because you're smarter than you're average consumer. My wife and I both have android smart phones (EVO/EPIC) and I'm in the process of turning her iPod Touch into my home theater universal wifi remote control.

Yep, the only people still sipping the iPhone koolaid are generally those who don't know anything else.

I don't think so. I think the timing is perfect and well played by Verizon. They brought the Droid out and got their current customers to buy them as well as pulled a few customers from AT&T. Now with the iPhone, they'll [STRIKE]get[/STRIKE] trick several of those that bought Droids to [STRIKE]upgrade[/STRIKE] buying an iPhone and get those customers from AT&T that are only with them because of the iPhone.

FIFY

but the reason people are going to verizon is because AT&T sucks so the i-phone 5 shouldn't matter much.

Sadly, if those iPhone users were forced to use an Android phone for a week, they would probably never want to return to an iPhone. This statement obviously excludes those who have an iPhone for the social acceptance factor as opposed to the functionality of having a smart phone.

latj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Sadly, if those iPhone users were forced to use an Android phone for a week, they would probably never want to return to an iPhone. This statement obviously excludes those who have an iPhone for the social acceptance factor as opposed to the functionality of having a smart phone.

I agree, I'm still running an original Motorola Droid. Overclocked, rooted, running whatever ROM I want. If you want a smartphone that's actually "smart" and you can adapt to your needs, Android is the way to go.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I agree, I'm still running an original Motorola Droid. Overclocked, rooted, running whatever ROM I want. If you want a smartphone that's actually "smart" and you can adapt to your needs, Android is the way to go.

It's amazing that in every recommendation of Android I've read, the first instruction is always "root it". I've never heard anyone recommend it based on the out-of-the-box experience, and while there are plenty of folks who do the equivalent "jailbreak" of iPhones, there are also plenty of folks who don't, and will recommend it solely on its out-of-the-box user experience.

There are a ton of users out there who are not interested in a device that requires you to void the warranty and violate the terms of your contract before it becomes useful. I wonder if Android remains a competitive product for them, as compared to the iPhone.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    It's amazing that in every recommendation of Android I've read, the first instruction is always "root it". I've never heard anyone recommend it based on the out-of-the-box experience, and while there are plenty of folks who do the equivalent "jailbreak" of iPhones, there are also plenty of folks who don't, and will recommend it solely on its out-of-the-box user experience.

There are a ton of users out there who are not interested in a device that requires you to void the warranty and violate the terms of your contract before it becomes useful. I wonder if Android remains a competitive product for them, as compared to the iPhone.
    ^^This! The iPhone is apparently good enough that it has a good percentage of the market worldwide and the users are quite satisfied with their product. Droid...well, it only becomes useful once you hack it. That's not convincing me to get one. If I do decide to get one, tho, I'll likely stay with AT&T and keep more functionality than the Verizon phone will have.

Welcome back, Fletch! You've been missed around here!

Griffeycom

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 20, 2008

We wouldn't have to root our phones if the carriers wouldn't put their junk on them. I rooted my phone, upgraded the Android OS and it's a ton better without the carrier's default crap they put on them.

Most of the Android users DON'T root their phones, just like most iPhone users don't jailbreak. However, there is a lot more you can do with a rooted Android than you can a jailbroken iPhone. I have no idea why you think you have to root for an Android phone to become useful, without rooting the OS is still incredible and a true iPhone competitor, and in my opinion much better than the iPhone.

But what would I know, I'm not a sucker for trendy, overpriced technology. ;)

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Yep, the only people still sipping the iPhone koolaid are generally those who don't know anything else.

Your statements are a bit too broad ;)

You're starting up another unwinnable argument. It's no different than the "sipping the Glock koolaid" Glock vs. xD arguments. It's all a matter of preference.

I've used the Android for longer than a week. I didn't really care for it. It's an innovative phone, but it's just not for me. I prefer my IPod Touch and the IPhone, and the "social acceptance factor" has nothing to do with it. That's like me saying you only carry a Glock for the "social acceptance factor" and that if you only carried an HK you'd never return to the Glock. :):

That being said, it's about time. This deal has been in the works for a long time and I'm glad to see it realized.

AppleBonker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    Valpo
    ^^This! The iPhone is apparently good enough that it has a good percentage of the market worldwide and the users are quite satisfied with their product. Droid...well, it only becomes useful once you hack it.

As stated above I think it's all personal preference. I find my non-rooted Android phone more useful than my jailbroken iPhone was.

If I do decide to get one, tho, I'll likely stay with AT&T and keep more functionality than the Verizon phone will have.

What is more functional? Sorry, I just didn't follow...

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    I have no idea why you think you have to root for an Android phone to become useful

Simple: the only Android evangelists I encounter are people with rooted phones. I've never met an OOTB user who was enthusiastically pro-Android to the point of telling me that my iPhone is a piece of ****, but I've met plenty of rooters who do. For example, the Android guys in my office are either rooters or relatively unenthused OOTB users. My boss is an OOTB switcher from OOTB iPhone, and he's not particularly impressed. Sure, he'll say it does some things better than his iPhone did, but he also says that the iPhone did some things better than the Android does, so to him it's a wash.

On the flip side, I know a fair number of OOTB iPhone users who are enthusiastic about the device and its environment. The vast majority of complaints I've heard are about AT&T, and I've never heard an OOTB user say that they felt restricted in any way by Apple or the App Store or iOS in general.

All this leads me to believe that the only people who are excited about Android are those who think nothing of voiding their warranty or breaking their contracts. I'm not sure that makes for a great recommendation.

*OOTB = Out Of The Box, ie non-rooted

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    As stated above I think it's all personal preference. I find my non-rooted Android phone more useful than my jailbroken iPhone was.

The CDMA version, (which runs on the Verizon network) can't do some things. For instance, it can't surf the web and take a call at the same time. This is due to Verizons network and the technology you have to use on it. At AT&T you can take a call and still be browsing. Not sure what other features will be disabled, yet.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Verizon's network/hardware (one of the two, perhaps both) can't handle data + voice simultaneously. That is, you can't be on a call and look something up on the internet without hanging up first.

AppleBonker

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    Valpo
    the only Android evangelists I encounter are people with rooted phones

Well, I certainly wont be that outspoken about it. Personally, I think the iPhone sucks. I used to have one. I jailbroke it so I could use it. And then I switched to Android. If my phone could be easily rooted, I might do it. Unfortunately, Motorola has made it pretty tricky (at least the last time I checked). Either way, I'd MUCH rather have a non-rooted Droid 2 than the jailbroken (or not) iPhone. Personal preference though. I surely wont preach at you about why my phone is better. If you enjoy yours and I enjoy mine, I just don't see the need.

And, as far as the CDMA debate goes with voice and data simultaneously (which is a limitation of the technology, NOT the the network), that will be a moot point when LTE has more market penetration (which will likely happen this year).

I still say it would be foolish to buy a Verizon iPhone. If you want the iPhone and Verizons network that bad, might as well wait for the iPhone 5 (or whatever they call it). Since it will likely be an LTE phone it will be more functional (both AT&T and Verizon are switching to LTE, so one phone will work on both networks).

Top Bottom