• ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Never? I can think of several scenarios that would call for the drawing of a gun, without the immediate firing of it.

Here's one-...

#2 - The BG has a hostage between you and them. Something will have to be said to draw out his melon for the perfect shots. What are you to say here?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Jack Says "Shoot the hostage." :D

LOL

speed%20banner.jpg

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Never? I can think of several scenarios that would call for the drawing of a gun, without the immediate firing of it.

Here's one--

You're walking to your car. You hear footsteps behind you approaching at an unusually quick rate. You turn to see a man walking quickly toward you. He's got a scowl on his face, and you suddenly see a knife in his hand. For the sake of the scenario let's say he is 20 yards from your position, but he's closing quickly.

You have now established 'opportunity' and 'intent', and coming VERY close to establishing 'ability'.

So what do you do?

Do you stand there quietly with a holstered gun until he gets within the magical "21 feet" range?

Do you silently draw and immediately fire?

Or do you draw your gun, issue the "STOP" command, and then prepare to defend yourself if he does not obey?

Option #1 makes you a dead man, as you gave up your space advantage by keeping your gun holstered, and the attacker closed the gap quicker than you could draw and fire.

Option #2 keeps you alive, but you now have to deal with the fact that you took a human life. Also the local prosecutor is considering bringing you up on charges because he feels like the knife-wielding attacker lacked "ability" due to his distance from you.

Option #3 can go two ways. A) the perp ignores your command, continues to advance, and you drop him. No charges are filed because he was clearly close enough to have the "ability" to harm you. Or B) upon your command, the perp sees this show of overwhelming force, realizes that he's far enough away to back out, and leaves the area. You're shaken, but you're alive, and you have no legal worries.

Personally, I believe there are both tactical and legal scenarios where drawing without immediately firing can be a good thing. :twocents:

If you fell threatened, than in my opinion you should brandish your weapon. Have it at the ready with muzzle pointed in a safe direction. If he/she is still stupid enough to keep advancing, or attempts to physically attack you. He/she has been warned with verbal and non verbal commands. In my opinion it would hold up better in court, rather than just drawing and shooting someone. I'm speaking from my Military training and experience.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    If you fell threatened, than in my opinion you should brandish your weapon. Have it at the ready with muzzle pointed in a safe direction. If he/she is still stupid enough to keep advancing, or attempts to physically attack you. He/she has been warned with verbal and non verbal commands. In my opinion it would hold up better in court, rather than just drawing and shooting someone. I'm speaking from my Military training and experience.

I agree, if you have enough time and enough distance between you and the threat you should ask him/her to drop his/her weapon and to stop.
    Just shoot because you draw your weapon is a very bad idea IMO.
    If you thought that you needed to shoot the threat in order to stop the attack at some point by the time you draw your weapon the situation is different and you need to think again about the use of force.
    Holding your gun in your hand is now a new element to the situation and that alone may put an end to it.

Top Bottom