Vegetable gardening this growing season?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1861navy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2013
    Pulled snakeberry away from the Lamb's quarters and chickweed. Thinned the garlic mustard too.
    Shaded and thinned some dandelions too. Had a tremendous salad with garlic mustard leaves, buds, violet leaves, flowers, chickweed tops, baby lambs quarters leaves, celery heart, onion, pepper, and sweet garlic mustard dressing.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Fresh asparagus just up here also! I expect to have a lot this year, both regular and purple. I'm going to try covering 1 area and go for some white as well.

Wanted some mushrooms with it, but came back with an empty bag :(

I love morels sauteed with asparagus in butter.

Everybody in my family breads and fries morels, which I think is almost a sin to cover up that great morel flavor with breading and grease.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Got my peas, potatoes, onions, and cole crops in the ground.

I also put a 12volt electric fence around my garden to protect it from my dogs, and other garden pests.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Have any of you planted jerusalem artichokes or sunchokes?

I'm hearing good things about how much food they produce and if you've got the space why not? I'm still relatively new to successful gardening so anyone with real life experience? I hear they get invasive and take over quickly, but I can put them in a field and mow them down if I choose to.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Have any of you planted jerusalem artichokes or sunchokes?

I'm hearing good things about how much food they produce and if you've got the space why not? I'm still relatively new to successful gardening so anyone with real life experience? I hear they get invasive and take over quickly, but I can put them in a field and mow them down if I choose to.

I just picked up a bunch of these bulbs to plant. Hoping they go crazy!

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    I just picked up a bunch of these bulbs to plant. Hoping they go crazy!
    No, you don't. They will take over your whole garden. Even a fragment of root will resprout. Putting mats of old carpet over them did not kill them. Containment is difficult, control nearly impossible. And eating them? Meh.

Our rhubarb is up, broccoli and peas are in, potatoes planted, other plants in the starting trays. We are barely tilling this year and planting directly in the old leaf mulch from dumping last year's maple leaves in the garden. We'll see how that works. We also save cardboard to lay between the rows to keep weeds down.

Last edited:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    No, you don't. The will take over your whole garden. Even a fragment of root will resprout. Putting mats of old carpet over them did not kill them. Containment is difficult, control nearly impossible...

I planted tansy one year along the edge of potato plants, reportedly a natural way to ward off potato beetles. Big mistake. This self seeding weed went nuts in the preceding years. Everything that wasn't tilled or mowed with regularity was awash with 5 foot tall tansy clumps for +/-100 yards. The yard, the bean field, everything.
    (FYI- tansy did not work as suggested on beetles, eggs or larvae. Didn't even slow them down.)

Eventually, I killed off the most of the tansy on my property with persistence and tools and chemicals and fire. My poor neighbors ended up with the results of my mistake though. Years later, I'm sure they still have "wild" tansy replenishing in their the fence rows and creek banks.

Years and a couple moves later this has returned to haunt me. My current neighbors have a live privacy fence between their front yard and mine, tansy of course. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I planted a 5 gallon bucket in my raised bed and put the Jerusalem artichoke in that bucket. The rest of the stuff will be getting planted out back.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Accidental test results today. We have a huge chest freezer in the basement that is dead. Before I went on a trip I cleaned it out and tossed in a single heat mat used for seed germination and a thermometer. This was about 20 days ago. So today I saw it and opened it up. Perfect 78 degrees inside. Now, this is going to be used for controlled temp environment for beer fermenting BUT some seeds are going in this weekend, while I drink an ice cold home brewed Stout. No I don't really like beer and I didn't brew it, but I like good beer and my wife brews it. Our version of a Beer Garden.

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    No, you don't. They will take over your whole garden. Even a fragment of root will resprout. Putting mats of old carpet over them did not kill them. Containment is difficult, control nearly impossible. And eating them? Meh.

Oh I'm not putting them in the garden :)

Some will go on a hillside and some will go between fruit trees to see how they work with the rest of the guild/combination I have going. We have ducks and chickens to help eat them also.

I know what you mean though. I have horseradish in my garden. It does possibly help prevent potato pests, but it can take over.

I had my mint plant contained with a bucket (bottom cut out) but after 2 years it "escaped".

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I have mint and garlic chives "on the loose" in my raised beds. I pull up most of the mint each spring when I get the beds ready for planting, but I always miss a few here and there and I let them go until the next spring. The garlic chives were in one clump, and I try to cut off the seed heads before they open, but a few get loose every season.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Just planted 4 100' rows of sweet corn tonight, hopefully the ground is warm enough for good germination. I plan on planting 4 more rows in a few weeks to stagger the harvest.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Are you guys getting any rain this, advertised as rainy, weekend? My soil is dry as a bone, cracked and hard as brick.

SchwansManDan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 29, 2015
    Fort Wayne, or close
    Too much other crap going on right now for me to do my regular garden, not the least of which is the county taking over the empty lot next to my house & turning it into a parking lot.

Sooo ... Tomatoes. Peppers. Chives & other herbs. Keep it simple this year & work on a new square foot garden for next season.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Snuck out a few reds this evening, just before dark:

20150707_213025_zpsalqhjiu9.jpg

Top Bottom