• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    I just closed on my Tennesee retirement land this past Saturday.
    There is enough land to warrant the purchase of a utility vehicle to save what's left of my back and legs. Never have owned anything that couldn't be decribed as a "play toy", I'm left wondering the where, what and when.
    The land is moderately hilly (Tennessee), I'd need 4WD in a side by side, I'd like a dump bed, but could add a dump trailer if need be. Would like an adequate sized motor (1000cc or more), any other options I'd just be guessing on and would have to figure out as I go.
    What say you INGO?
    What make/model?
    Which option/accessories?
    New or used?
    Thanks

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Is this going to be used for hunting? If so, I'd recommend electric and specifically a Polaris Ranger EV. My hunting partner bought one back in 2014 and it has been awesome for that purpose though it has also done its fair share of work as well.

If not used for hunting I can't offer much help. I've got an older JD Gator and while they're tough to kill, the price of parts is nothing short of painful if something goes wrong. Had to have the starter replaced earlier this year and the factory replacement was over $900. I ended up going aftermarket but it still cost me almost $500.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Is this going to be used for hunting? If so, I'd recommend electric and specifically a Polaris Ranger EV. My hunting partner bought one back in 2014 and it has been awesome for that purpose though it has also done its fair share of work as well.

If not used for hunting I can't offer much help. I've got an older JD Gator and while they're tough to kill, the price of parts is nothing short of painful if something goes wrong. Had to have the starter replaced earlier this year and the factory replacement was over $900. I ended up going aftermarket but it still cost me almost $500.
    It will be used for about everything from hunting, typical homestead chores ect.
    I appreciate the feedback on the JD Gator, I have found a couple with low hours but both were 4x2s. I had no idea that simple PM on the damn thing would bring me back outta retirement, lol.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    It will be used for about everything from hunting, typical homestead chores ect.
    I appreciate the feedback on the JD Gator, I have found a couple with low hours but both were 4x2s. I had no idea that simple PM on the damn thing would bring me back outta retirement, lol.
    I have contemplated going the mini truck route, I should've done it back when they were really cheap.

Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Aug 4, 2017
    Fishers
    When I bought my land in Newport there was an old Suzuki Samurai in the barn that I tried to get thrown in. Owner said he'd been using that for 20 years and promised it to his kids for their land. Still not sure which direction I want to go but I'm following.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    If I were in the market and had the money I'd buy a Polaris electric without hesitation. We've driven within feet of bedded deer, they're quiet and capable.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    In a former life I was a power sports mechanic. We owned and operated a Kawasaki dealership. Hence the username. Kawasaki Mules are/were almost impossible to kill. They aren't fast, but they will go anywhere and do almost anything you could ask a UTV to do. I've been out of the game for about 10 years now so I'm sure a lot has changed. JD UTVs used to be rebranded Mules. Polaris Ranger WAS the bottom of the barrel but they have made impressive improvements. Polaris or Kawasaki would be what I would look at f I was shopping again.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Kawasaki Mule Pro. The 3 cylinder engine is quieter and pretty darn fuel efficient for a UTV. I believe they are using the same motor in cars and some of the John Deere UTVs.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Picked up a Kawasaki mule 2510 from FB marketplace. "Had electrical issues" which appears to be a bad fuel pump. Just replaced it. And just got some new tires for it that I'll put on tomorrow. It's pretty fun to run around my buddy's farm

rem788

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2009
    indy west
    I have a 2005 Yamaha 660 utv. I like it a lot. I have 3 polaris atv's, all purchased bran new. I have had 100% electronic module failure on each. I have 2 friends that purchased polaris sportsman's brand new, both had module failures. The module on my 2008 trailblazer is $525 and on national backorder. I would hesitate to buy a polaris again. Just my experience, good luck.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    I have a 2005 Yamaha 660 utv. I like it a lot.
    The only reason I didn't mention Yamaha Rhino is because their machines tend to be 90/10 sport to utility. Or at least they used to be. They might make a more utility focused machine now. The 660 uses the Grizzly engine. Solid motor that's been around for a long time. Good machine. The OP seems to want 80/20 utility to sport ratio. That's why I'd still suggest the Mule. I'm not 100% surprised to hear you've had trouble with Polaris though. Electronics have always been their Achilles heal.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    A buddy has a Polaris. I don't know anything about it except that it's old and he's constantly griping about fixing something on it. His dad owns a 2x4 gator and claims he's never had to do anything to it except add oil. A guy down the road owns a kubota, enclosed cab w/ plow. It does pretty well with the snow. It looks brand new though.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    137   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I have a 2014 Polaris 900 Crew and I absolutely love it. Not one problem with it. Starts and runs every time. Love Polaris so much , I bought my son a Ranger 150. Same deal. Not one issue with it..

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Don't know about side by sides and UTVs, but my 2007 Polaris Sportsman 800 is an absolute beast and has been completely trouble free.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Don't know about side by sides and UTVs, but my 2007 Polaris Sportsman 800 is an absolute beast and has been completely trouble free.
    That is about the time Polaris started giving a damn about quality. Most of their stuff from the early 2Ks and back were JUNK. When the RZR came out and became popular Polaris realized they needed to make things work out of the box or lose money fixing them under warranty. Polaris corporate themselves literally used to joke around about how bad their machines were. They knew they were trash and sent them to market anyway. Today they are much better and it's all because of the RZR.

JRR85

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    Got a Kubota Sidekick earlier this year. I added some options but a power dump bed is a must in my opinion. I was between the Gator and Kubota. I went with the Kubota because I got 0% for 60 months and it was in-stock. Also, the dealer made me a pretty good deal on top of the financing. It’s done everything I needed and some. Also good for moving trailers around if you need that.

Top Bottom