• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Anyone have any experience with these? Looking at putting one on my AK.

UTG AK47 Quad Rail

botach_2082_186748952

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    the upper handguard on the utg system is held into place by 4 bolts.... none of the bolts fit into recesses in the bottom of the rail so one could arugue that the MAY get in the way, i doubt it.... the UTG seems like a pretty good set up to me, at least on the one i installed for a customer the other day. it came with spacers to ensure a tight lockup with the front of the reciever, and everything seemed pretty robustly built... lockup what really tight... that said i dont have any experience with the MI.
    the utg came with a block that bolts between the barrel and gas tube to prevent you front tourqing down the rails so tight that it interfears with bolt movement.

the lower hanguard on the UTG cannot be used by itself, as the upper hand guard is that holds int onto the weapon.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    What is it about the UTG set that you don't like ?

Typical low-quality Chinese garbage. Issues with metal quality, fit on the rifle and rail specs are not unheard of. Obviously some folks' opinions will vary (see IGW's post above).

For not much more money, you can get the MI, which is of excellent quality and is made in the US (counts as a 922 compliance part). A no-brainer, IMO.

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    The reason I ask is because I have the Norinco Hunter that I've modified and the last thing on the list is a front HG set .

Since no company makes after market parts for this rifle I'll need a bolt on set and was thinking about the UTG also .

The problem being the design and nothing that fits a traditional AK will work without some mods .

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Since no company makes after market parts for this rifle I'll need a bolt on set and was thinking about the UTG also .

The problem being the design and nothing that fits a traditional AK will work without some mods .

For that particular application, assuming 922 compliance isn't an issue, the UTG might actually be the better choice. It would be cheaper to acquire, and being made of softer metal, would be easier to modify.

Good luck and keep us posted!

I Like Firearms

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 6, 2009
    I have a UTG rail on my Saiga 12 that is similar to that. I Love it. Holds very true! Yeah o well its Chinese, the shotgun is Russian... I bought it here. Who gives a crap. Its a rail. on a AK.... Hmmmmm Yeah.. UTG will work great

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Typical low-quality Chinese garbage. Issues with metal quality, fit on the rifle and rail specs are not unheard of. Obviously some folks' opinions will vary (see IGW's post above).

For not much more money, you can get the MI, which is of excellent quality and is made in the US (counts as a 922 compliance part). A no-brainer, IMO.

UTG is pretty hit or miss... have a set of mid lenth handguards for an ar, that are to long for midlenth handguards.... just machined wrong i supposed... waste of 70 bucks, but i bought them before i was really "in the know" i would stay away from UTG for the most part, but if your hand guards are like the ones the customer brought to us, you are good to go... just be sure you buy the right ones, because even AK's vary....

mavisky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    Greater Atlanta Area
    Are you wanting to put an optic on the upper rail? If so spend the extra cash. If you're going to do a receiver side rail mounted further back then save your money and get the UTG.

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Are you wanting to put an optic on the upper rail? If so spend the extra cash. If you're going to do a receiver side rail mounted further back then save your money and get the UTG.

this.
    That said, I have 2 piece UTG's on my RRA and they're tight and seem to be well made. The rail plane matches the receiver (i.e. the LT110 spans the gap between the receiver and the UTG HG) which lets me mount the rear of the XPS at the front of the receiver. It's never loosed up after approx. 2k rounds. Think I paid $55-ish for it. I like it.

PC192076.jpg

Last edited:
    Top Bottom