• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • quicksdraw

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    East Central In.
    What do you expect from the Atheist, Communist, Liberal Union? They're a bunch of cowards that try to subvert ideals for which better men (and women) than they will ever be died!:xmad:

Archbishop

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    INDY
    This just makes me mad!
    Can't the Gov sell this small bit of land to some private individual That would take it off Gov property and there wouldn't be a problem. I sure there would be a line of people willing to buy the land.

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    Got that in an email a few minutes ago. I sent the link to everybody I know and signed the petition. I am way past angry...when are we going to get to the point where the tail stops wagging the dog?

Bob

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    That is just absolutely sad and pathetic. How in the world can any government officials even think about tearing down a memorial for those that fought for the freedom that allowed us to vote these jackals into office. I'm definitely gonna sign the petition, and gonna try to send the link to others as well. This is just another reason we need to kick these idiots out of office and replace them with those that will fight for what the people want, and what is in best interest of our country and soldiers.

Flintlock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 25, 2008
    Southeastern Indiana
    I guess if this cross must come down, so must the cross tombstones under which countless veterans have been buried?

This is a disgrace. Those judges who have so far ruled in favor of the ACLU are a disgrace, the ACLU is a disgrace, and so is the fool who filed this suit.

800px-ww2_normandy_american_cemetery_rain.jpg

joegrunt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Planning on Evansville
    This is well....sad does not seem to convey my true thoughts. I was stationed at Fort Irwin (NTC) in CA. There are over 40 crosses on the road between the post and the closest town, a silent tribute to all those that have died on it. I am pretty sure that it is considered government property (side of the road). I truly hope the CA order will be overturned on this ruling and common sense will prevail.

Lawguns

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I was thinking of that on my next trip to California I should go and paint a cross on the plywood box. But, I would probably just cause a bigger fight. I saddens me to think that a person in Oregon over a thousand miles away might find the cross offensive. Many crosses are scattered across Government land as part of memorials. This could set a precedent that could have dire effects. What happens to all the other symbols on government land? Do we get rid of all the 5 and 6 pointed stars? Do we remove the Star from the General Rank because it offends? Where do we draw the line?
    You can’t make everyone happy all of the time.

Isophix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Michigan City, IN
    Two points:

One, I am an atheist. I was raised under a Christian faith, but my experiences and reason have moved me away from religion. I strongly support the separation of Faith and State, as I believe that government should ignore one's religion, just as it should ignore one's color, height, sexual orientation, and other personal attributes that do not create one's character.

However, (and this is my second point) anyone who says that this memorial equates an endorsement of religion is a fool. The image of a cross alone is NOT an endorsement of religion.

It has to have context. If there was a sign that said: "This memorial is in honor of those Christians who died for their country.", one might begin to have an argument that the memorial constituted a government endorsement.

Even then, the question becomes: "Who is responsible for the erection and maintainable of this memorial?" The information provided in the video states that a group of private individuals originally erected the memorial, and one private individual has maintained the memorial of their own free will, and at their own expense. If this information is accurate, then the memorial seems to be more an act of individual free speech, that happened to occur in a public forum (which is constitutionally protected), versus an act of government preference of one religion.

But, hey, it's California.

One side note: Not all atheists want to badger and bully people who believe in a higher power. As a matter of fact, most of us come from families that are religious. Implying that all atheists are religion-hating loonies is no different than implying that all gun owners are wanna-be cops or trigger-happy nut jobs.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    I don't live in California, but wheres the (still) brave soldiers who go in the night and tear the box/bag/fence/cage off the cross for their God & Country?

Seriously. Its a box people. Go tear the sum'bitch down. Keep doing it until the local Government gets the fuggin hint.

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    One way to solve the problem is to replce the memorial with a non-denominational (secular) memorial in the same location.

Or, if having the cross there is important for the sake of historical tradition, then just place a larger multi-denominational memorial there so it would still be there in the context of a larger memorial recognizing those of all (or no) faiths.

KPierce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Jeffersonville
    Well this is just complete and utter BS of the highest order.

And Finity this has nothing to do with religious denomination or belief. The cross has been a symbol used to mark the graves of soldiers since this country was founded. If we are to add other denominational symbols to this one memorial, then what about all the grave markers in Arlington ? Should we have to add multi-denominational symbols to them as well ?

It's stuff like this that saddens me to the core. But it also forces me to see that this once great country is dieing at an accelerated rate. I fear that with more situations like this coming up, it is only a matter of another generation or two(at most) until this is truly no longer the United States of America.

ncthorn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    Actually KPierce, Stars of David have been used to denote the burial place of Jewish soldiers in military cemeteries.

This is an outrage. You cannot do something to honor a group of people and then decide that you want to take it back. Absolutely absurd.

Top Bottom