• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I picked up a Colt Model 1917 tonight. It came with a bit of a bonus. They asked if I was interested in some ammo to go with the revolver and started pulling boxes, bags and Tupperware full of .45acp out of the closet. All said and done, it was almost 1000 rounds. Well, I said I hadn't planned or budgeted for the extra ammo. In fact, on the way there I bought 100 rounds from my favorite LGS. They said that since I had been so much help with the appraising and selling of the grandfather's collection that I should take the ammo and bring them another $100 next month.

As I've said before, I am not very familiar with this revolver; but, gosh it feels good to handle. It seems as rugged and sturdy as they come. It is a "hulk" of a revolver!

Here is the revolver with the reproduction holster I bought last week.
    USArmyModel1917-02.jpg

The US Property stamp is under the barrel.
    USArmyModel1917-04PropertyStamp.jpg

And these markings on the grip.
    USArmyModel1917-03GripDetail.jpg

It certainly makes a good companion to my Eddystone Model of 1917.
    Colt1917Eddystone1917-01.jpg

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Congrats! As a 625 fan I don't think you will be disappointed. Something really neat about shooting some history.

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    Would LOVE to have a Colt to go with my Smith 1917. Moon Clips are just plain cool! Great purchase on a truly classic revolver and piece of history, congrats!

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I don't remember the fella's name; but, I met a guy at the NFA shoot in September. I struck up a conversation with him because he was the only other fella there whose side arm was more obsolete than my Walther. He showed me his S&W Model 1917. And he offered to let me shoot it. So, a few months later the opportunity to jump on this pristine Colt 1917 landed in my lap. I had to have it. I wish I remembered his name because it is all his fault I bought this fine revolver!

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I dont remember his name but that was VUPDblue's Dad! and there was a very cool story behind that pistol. We had a nice conversation about it.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    As you can see, this gun is clearly marked "US Property". As a retired US Army NCO, I will be willing to accept it back into governmental custody and assure you that no further investigation will ensue. :D

Sniper 79

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    Awesome gun with awesome history behind it. If they could only talk and tell their story. My uncle had one and sold it on me. I was quite upset last I asked about it and he told me he let it go. I would have loved to have it especially since I am now into 1911's and reloading the .45 cartridge.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Beautiful gun. Thanks for sharing. It is one on my want list as well. Love the history behind those old warhorses.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Actually, the first handgun I ever owned was a Model 1917 Colt. I was going through AIT at Fort Devens, Mass., and had a friend who was from a little 'burg over in upstate New York. He and I made several trips to his parents' home to go hunting. He sold me a Model 1917 which had been Parkerized and was pretty-well "used", but - for $50 (including three or four half-moon clips and a box and a half of ammo) - I don't think I got hurt! To this day, I can't remember what I later traded it for, but am still kicking myself. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom