• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Well I have pretty much decided to drink the kool-aid and buy my first AR-15 with my tax refund. I have been trying to read what I can and do the research, but its pretty hard when you don't know exactly what everything means, and the value you of this mil-spec part over another. So I hate to do this, but I'm posting yet another "what AR should I get?" thread.

As far as use goes. I'm thinking kind of multipurpose. I want a fun range gun that has some accuracy to it, and I'm also thinking it will be a good caliber rifle to get into some coyote hunting with (a buddy has invited me to go, but I don't have a fitting cal rifle), and last but not least, as always, a SHTF gun.

I have read So you want to buy an AR-15, huh? - Police Forums & Law Enforcement Forums @ Officer.com but that seems to be all about mil-spec m4 clones and I'm not sure if that really fits my needs. I think I know some of the features I may want, but I don't know if they are the best for my intended purposes.

Here's what I was thinking after reading some yesterday, although I'm second guessing myself after reading more today.

5.56 Chamber (to use 5.56 and .223)
    Chrome lined barrel (maybe not best for accuracy, use higher grade SS?)
    Twist 1/9 or 1/7, hearing both are common and not sure which would suit me better.
    M4 feed ramps, seems to be the better way to go, but why exactly?
    Barrel length...I like the idea of a 16", but willing to go 20" if it would be better for my purpose.
    Corresponding to barrel length I think would be the type of gas system...(?) I was thinking for 16" use a midlength, and for a 20" use rifle...(?)
    A3 Flattop upper, just cause I like the look.
    BUIS+Scope
    Free Float rail handguard
    M4/CAR stock

So thoughts, comments, opinions? I am planning on going to the AR-15 open house and asking a ton of questions and fondling a ton of AR's :ar15::ar15:but I thought I'd post this up here and see what kind of feedback I can get.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Well I have pretty much decided to drink the kool-aid and buy my first AR-15 with my tax refund.

Great. But Uncle Sam isn't buying you anything; you're buying it with your own money that your Uncle has been "holding" for you for a year... ;)

5.56 Chamber (to use 5.56 and .223)
    :yesway:

Chrome lined barrel

Twist 1/9 or 1/7, hearing both are common and not sure which would suit me better.

Either would probably work for your needs. I am partial to 1x7, as it will stabilize heavier bullets better, and that's the trend in 5.56mm ammo.

M4 feed ramps, seems to be the better way to go, but why exactly?

Feed reliability, especially in carbines (i.e. 16" and shorter barrels) shooting longer (heavier) or non-FMJ bullets.

Barrel length...I like the idea of a 16", but willing to go 20" if it would be better for my purpose.

IMO, from 0 to 300 yards, anything longer than 16" is just extra length and weight.

gas system... I was thinking for 16" use a midlength, and for a 20" use rifle...

A3 Flattop upper, just cause I like the look.
    No reason for a fixed carry handle in this day and age. If you ever want to add any kind of optic, the flat top is the way to go.

What kind?

M4/CAR stock
    Might consider upgrading to a VLTOR Emod, Magpul CTR or ACS for added comfort (cheek weld) and rigidity.

Comments added.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    What you described in wanting is basically an M4 Carbine. or a regular carbine. ;)

in no particular order

Colt
    LMT
    BCM.............with the BCM you can get a mid length barrel.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Great. But Uncle Sam isn't buying you anything; you're buying it with your own money that your Uncle has been "holding" for you for a year... ;)
    touche

What kind?
    Some type of quad rail I think. Mostly cause I like the looks better than the plain M4 handguard, but also if I decide to add any accessories (which we all know I will), I have the base to mount them on.

M4/CAR stock
    Might consider upgrading to a VLTOR Emod, Magpul CTR or ACS for added comfort (cheek weld) and rigidity.
    I'll look into those, I just got those 2 options from that article and thought maybe those were types and that manufacturers made their own brands of those types.

Any other suggestions you can give me? Tips for shopping, or brands to looks at? Forgot to add my budget. I'm getting about $1200 back from taxes, and while I'm not against spending it all or adding a bit to it to get a great rifle, if I saved some because of the cost/value curve I wouldn't be mad either.

Last edited:

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I plan on being there with the gf in tow ;) Also is there anyone that makes a comparable rifle out the door? I don't mind parting it together/building myself, but since it was my first I wouldn't mind buying a full rifle. Just dont wanna screw it up. Thanks again.

w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    Yeah, Im hoping my wife will let me get an AR with my tax check too. Looking at building one. Wanting to get an M4 with a flat top, 16 in barrel, 6 pos. stock. Will most likely order an upper rifle kit from del-ton, and get me a lower from a local gun shop. Any ideas on best gun shop to get the best price on lowers?

sprshggy07

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    Terre Haute
    Also hoping uncle sam can help with an AR build and also looking at the del-ton rifle kit. Luckily I got a Rock River refurb lower at the 1500 hopefully all goes well.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    Be careful, they are like Lays potato chips. You can't have just 1.

I started my journey (as did several thousand) into EBR disease in Nov 2008, 2 days after the POTUS election.

I went with a midlength, chrome lined, 1x9, flat-top as a good all around utility AR. After all, if I'm just gonna have one, I might as well get one that compromises pretty well.

1 turned into 2, and 2 has turned into another lower, which usually results in getting another upper. So in 14 months I have gone from 0 to 2.5 AR's, and will likely be at 3 by summer.

Current plans are to have a 16" carbine length, 16" middy, and either a pistol caliber, or go with a 20" 5.56 to round out the set. Of course that means that my 16" M4gery really isn't a real M4gery since the bbl is 16" + FH, so I'll probably have to get a 14.7"bbl with permanent Flash-hider, then a.....trails off......

:ar15::ingo:

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Barrett REC7

The Barrett who made the 98Bravo 338Laupa Magnum is now making the AR15 type rifles. They called it REC7. Anyone would be interested in this? Depending on the prices, I'd have the Sig 516 on top of my wish list. We have more choices now for every budgets.:rockwoot:

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    The Barrett who made the 98Bravo 338Laupa Magnum is now making the AR15 type rifles. They called it REC7. Anyone would be interested in this?

They REC7 has been out for a few years now. I like the idea and I'm sure Barrett has executed it well, but I haven't jumped on the 6.8 bandwagon and I don't care for the ARMS SIR rail system they use; I find it clunky and over-engineered. Then there's the Barrett pricetag... :spend:

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    your AR

Sounds to me like you should get a 20" barrel with 1/9 twist, and 5.56 chamber always. If you going after coyotes the 20" will be better than the shorter ones 1/9 will be better for the lighter Varmit bullets. Carbines are better for CQB when SHTF but with the longer barrel you don't have to let them get that close. Of Course you could go with the civilain equal of the M14. My brother-in-law carried an M14 in Nam in 68 so he wouldn't let them get that close!:patriot:

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    INTREST FREE!!!!:xmad:

Yeah, that part of it sucks. I always try to look at it like this: Hopefully Uncle Sam used my money to buy some ammo for the guys over kicking butt in the Sandbox, maybe an ACOG or two, and if neither of those, maybe I helped buy 1/1000000th of an M1 Abrams or Apache Helicopter or something cool like that.

The reality of course is that my $$ likely helped feed someone who didn't want to work, and was happy to live off the handouts they were getting from Uncle Sam. But option #1 above makes me smile, so I'll stick with that.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    Be careful, they are like Lays potato chips. You can't have just 1.

I started my journey (as did several thousand) into EBR disease in Nov 2008, 2 days after the POTUS election.

I went with a midlength, chrome lined, 1x9, flat-top as a good all around utility AR. After all, if I'm just gonna have one, I might as well get one that compromises pretty well.

1 turned into 2, and 2 has turned into another lower, which usually results in getting another upper. So in 14 months I have gone from 0 to 2.5 AR's, and will likely be at 3 by summer.

Current plans are to have a 16" carbine length, 16" middy, and either a pistol caliber, or go with a 20" 5.56 to round out the set. Of course that means that my 16" M4gery really isn't a real M4gery since the bbl is 16" + FH, so I'll probably have to get a 14.7"bbl with permanent Flash-hider, then a.....trails off......

:ar15::ingo:

You ain't lyin' brother.....:n00b:

I traded for my first AR last summer (Oly Arms K16), built my first by November (28" 6.5G), I will have my first SBR completed here soon, and I have already committed on a 458 barrel for a future build.:+1:

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    I am just getting ready to build my first one. I bought my Oly from brais a couple years ago so I guess I am a little slow on the second but I am going to be ding this same research shortly. I hope to go buy a lower tomorrow to build off of. I to am wondering where to find a good selection of lowers in stock around town.

Top Bottom