• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dodgehunter84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    I'm just wondering what cleaning solution everyone is using to clean cases with. I've been using RCBS solution because that is only kind they had when I bought my ultrasonic cleaner.

ksick26

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    I use the Hornady solution. It mixes 40:1, so a container lasts for a LONG time. brass looks good!

mac45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2008
    Been using the Hornady stuff.
    I may try the RCBS when this bottle is out just to see if it makes a difference.

warthog

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Vigo County
    here I thought I was the only one using Simple Green. :)

x3 I guess should have been my answer with a quote.

did I do the purple right? ;)

In any case the stuff is cheap and works really well using very little in solution. Never tried degassing it like you do Interpon but I will give it a whirl next time for sure. I do heat it up to 135-140 like you do though. Sadly the HF cleaner I have doesn't have a heater so I have to reheat it once it cools on the stove. It does stay nice and warn long enough for a batch though and I rarely am doing more than a batch.

It also works on handgun but before you try it yourself on your guns always mix some up and test it somewhere there is finish and it is easy to hide like under a handgrip. Not responsible if it turns your handgun funny colors or strips the finish. No trouble on mine so far but it is alwas best to check it yourself before taking anyone's word for it.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I have used the Hornady solution diluted per their directions. It does contain Citric acid according to the material safety data sheet you can find on line. Brass is more susceptible to damage from base chemicals versus acids. That is why you should never use ammonia, simple green, or lye on brass. With the concentration used, and time in solution, all you are getting is a mild surface etch that brightens the finish. For a home made solution, I've read of others having good success with Dawn and White vinegar diluted down. I've also heard that cola beverages work good too, though the last thing I think you need is a bunch of sticky goo to clean off afterwards.

Top Bottom