Ultralite .50 cal BMG, anybody own one or know much about them?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I don't want to insult your intelligence here but have you ever fired a bolt action 50 bmg? even with heavier rifles it isn't exactly a joy to shoot. Now you want to put that into a super lite package which is going to magnify felt recoil. Even with a well designed muzzle break it can only do so much.

Is this a rifle you plan on shooting 20 rounds a day with once in a while or do you want to go shoot a hundred or more rounds in an outing and not feel like your shoulder no longer works...

DSmith78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Indiana
    I don't want to insult your intelligence here but have you ever fired a bolt action 50 bmg? even with heavier rifles it isn't exactly a joy to shoot. Now you want to put that into a super lite package which is going to magnify felt recoil. Even with a well designed muzzle break it can only do so much.

Is this a rifle you plan on shooting 20 rounds a day with once in a while or do you want to go shoot a hundred or more rounds in an outing and not feel like your shoulder no longer works...

no insult at all. no ive never shot one. only reason i ask is i have a guy wanting to do some trading on some non gun stuff i have with one of these guns and im just curious about it. the vids you see on youtube dont look like recoil is that bad on these guns. I would honestly plan on reselling the gun and ammo too, wondering if they are good gun and would possibly be able to sell the gun.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I'm ALWAYS interested in something like that.
    Unfortunately right now my finances do no match my interests.

Brand?

My opinion, yes you could probably sell it fairly easily, depending on your asking price.

As stated above, that "Ultra-Lite" will likely feel like an 8 pound sledge hitting you in the shoulder.

DSmith78

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    Indiana
    I'm ALWAYS interested in something like that.
    Unfortunately right now my finances do no match my interests.

Brand?

My opinion, yes you could probably sell it fairly easily, depending on your asking price.

As stated above, that "Ultra-Lite" will likely feel like an 8 pound sledge hitting you in the shoulder.

EXACTLY. Everyone is interesed but how many have the money. It also has 628 rds of ammo which i would have no need for if i sold the gun and how many people are gonna be able to cough up that much money for the gun and ammo. it would be a neat toy to keep for myself and ive considered that as well.

USMC-Johnson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    Depends there are a few different kinds made now days. I mean they are probably fun to go out and shoot a few rounds on the weekend but i see no use in indiana. But its a gun so it is inherently fun to a point until you have to buy ammo.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    The UL50 is in the middle of the road when it comes to .50bmg uppers. It's not the low end and it isn't the high end. They are solidly built and ok value for the money. Higher end quality would be the Ferret50 or the ALS.

The nice thing is you can sell just the upper without having to go through an FFL which means you can sell nationwide more easily. Depending on model and condition used UL50 upper will go from $1300-1700. Depending on the ammo it can be sold for anywhere from $1.50/round to $3/round.

I love my .50s, they are fun to shoot and reasonably cheap to load for.

dunningben

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Bremen, IN
    If i'm getting a 50bmg, i'm going for something with a little meat to it. I wouldn't trust an AR lower with that, however convenient it might be.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    If i'm getting a 50bmg, i'm going for something with a little meat to it. I wouldn't trust an AR lower with that, however convenient it might be.

Says the voice of vast experience with them...

There's no reason the lower can't handle it just fine, the force is back against the buttstock. I have about 800 rounds through one with my current setup, and the previous upper that was on it had about 500 rounds with no discernible wear. Even if it did wear out in a few thousand rounds, a lower is a hundred bucks.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    50bmg and ultra-lite don't belong in the same sentence! I have a AR50 with a muzzle break. It's very shoot-able with the break and bipod but it is a handful. I am a big guy. I can't imagine shooting 50 from a light gun. If you are close I will let you shoot my 45-70. That will open your eyes. Then imagine it being the 50bmg.

Here is my 50 in action. If you are going to shoulder fire it I hope you are a big boy!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGMjPHDdc8s

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    I have owned an AR50, a Bohica with 36"bbl, and I currently own a Ferret50 and an LAR Grizzly.

A while ago I posted a side by side comparison shoot of the latter three and found the Bohica to be the harshest. But they all three were reasonably similar, though the Grizzly had a lot to do with the fact that it is 10lbs heavier than the others. Compared to the AR50 with its weight and supposedly highly efficient muzzle break, they ALL are pretty close in comparison to shoot, and quite frankly my .458 socom hurts more to shoot than any of the .50s I have owned. I enjoy shooting the .50s, the recoil really isn't that bad and really is more of a hard shove than a punch.

Top Bottom