• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fubanator

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Have always used crushed corn cobb as my tumbler media. Very pleased thus far with the results. Heard that crushed walnut was the best so I bought some Lymans "Tufnut". The container says it is treated with rouge. Tumbled a couple hundered 223 cases for twelve hours. Used a generous amount of Dillan rapid polish 290. The results were dissappointing. The cases were dull in appearance. Does anyone know if these results are typical. Also is appears as though the flash holes on many cases are clogged with media particals.

I Love Bourbon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Speedway ish
    Apples and Oranges...
    Crushed walnut media is much better at cleaning brass and corncob does a better job of polishing.
    Try this, if you have really dirty brass start off with walnut then when it's clean switch over to corncob for the shine.

Both medias have their merits and uses, use them to your advantage.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    I use the Lymans walnut hull and with a little bit of Flitz my brass always comes out with a mirror-like shine after about 2-3 hours. Did you wipe the brass off with a cloth after taking it out of the walnut? If not then that is why they still look dirty. The red residue makes it look dull until wiped off. ;)

45-70

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Cale
    What you described sounds normal for rouged walnut and as far as the flash holes go, the decapper pin will take care of that issue.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Combine the comments from Mouse and U.S. Patriot, and you've got my final answer!

Your gun likes CLEAN ammo...could care less if it's shiny. Truth be told, both corn and walnut clean cases well enough. If sparkly things fascinate you, corn is the right media for you. I accidentally left some brass to tumble overnight one time. Funny thing...the groups weren't any tighter from those cases. ;)

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I'm in the same camp as the OP. If my brass doesn't look new, it's not acceptable.

I don't like Tufnut at all. I've even had it die some cases red. I stay away from the stuff. Corncob is the way to go for shine. Add a little carwax and it'll really clean up nicely.

When I have the time, I put my brass in the dry tumbler for 12-15 hours. (that's after a two step wet wash too.)

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    Wow, Aszerigan...you're the first experienced reloader I've ever heard of who still worries about cases being shiny and polished. When most guys realize that it just doesn't make a difference, one way or the other, they stop obsessing over primer pockets and gleaming brass cases. Is there a particular reason, aside from aesthetics, that you still like to get yours so sparkly?

Aszerigan

Whitetail Trading Co.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    390   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Is there a particular reason, aside from aesthetics, that you still like to get yours so sparkly?

Yep, there are two reasons. First, I like shooting shiny ammo. Call me OCD. :) Also, with the volume of brass that I run through my dies, if I didn't clean them well, I'd start running into issues with dirty (read:buildup, out of spec) dies. It's just a time-saving step.

Second, when a customer pays to have his brass reloaded, he doesn't want dull, 'kinda-shiny' ammo in return.

I might be in the minority in my thinking, but when people can't tell whether its new or used brass by looking at, feeling, or inspecting the rounds... I've done my job.

Rob377

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 30, 2008
    DT
    Yep, there are two reasons. First, I like shooting shiny ammo. Call me OCD. :) Also, with the volume of brass that I run through my dies, if I didn't clean them well, I'd start running into issues with dirty (read:buildup, out of spec) dies. It's just a time-saving step.

Second, when a customer pays to have his brass reloaded, he doesn't want dull, 'kinda-shiny' ammo in return.

I might be in the minority in my thinking, but when people can't tell whether its new or used brass by looking at, feeling, or inspecting the rounds... I've done my job.

+1
    I'm not a commercial reloader, but I like my brass to be nice and shiny as well. It may not make any difference in the way the ammo works, and I probably won't wear out my carbide dies in my lifetime either way, but nasty looking brass BUGS me.
    I do find clean brass easier to inspect. I'm a brass rat, and pick up abandoned brass whenever possible, so the added ease of spotting imperfections or signs it was used as 9mm Major brass is no small thing.

Corn cob does a great job polishing. Takes a little longer to clean, but leaves the brass with a nice shine. I don't really worry about the extra time, because I usually just let the tumbler run overnight.

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    For all the reasons above, I chose the thumler's and stainless route. 4 hours and it looks like you could put it in a box and give it to the wife for Valentine's day. Inside, primer pockets, outside, are all brilliantly shiny. 5 minutes to dump them, rinse, and spin in my separator...overnight to dry or 10 minutes with a hair dryer. I like pretty brass. I just got in 2500 once fired dirty 223 brass, and I'm having fun making 500-600 a night turn into brand new sparkling again.

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    I try to make mine look like new as well for the following reasons:
    1. Easier to find shiny brass on the ground
    2. Eliminates unnecessary wear and tear on the die
    3. Reduce microscopic particles embedded in the brass that can rough up the chamber
    4. I am looking for accuracy which is partly driven by consistency. Having extra carbon and dirt in and on the cartridge case just add extra variables

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    One thing I will confess to doing is polishing shoulders/necks, particularly in concert with annealing. I will typically chuck the brass up in a Lee case trimmer head and spin them with a cordless drill while squeezing the neck with fine steel wool to clean and polish. I also do this when forming wildcat cartridges with steep neck angles, like the 6.5JDJ or 358GNR. As a previous poster said, this makes it easier to spot any defects.

Hiker1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    South
    Not sure what town you live in, or around? Forget the expensive Walnut media. Get over to Petsmart, or Petco for another product. Visit the lizard department, and buy the ground walnut media (and corn cob media), pet store versions are no different in my experience. It's sooo much cheaper, and all natural.

Don't throw your money away on bags of stuff in catalogs-when it's sold in larger pet stores for kid's critters.

Indy574

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jun 25, 2011
    Marshall County
    For all the reasons above, I chose the thumler's and stainless route. 4 hours and it looks like you could put it in a box and give it to the wife for Valentine's day. Inside, primer pockets, outside, are all brilliantly shiny. 5 minutes to dump them, rinse, and spin in my separator...overnight to dry or 10 minutes with a hair dryer. I like pretty brass. I just got in 2500 once fired dirty 223 brass, and I'm having fun making 500-600 a night turn into brand new sparkling again.

Some day when I have some extra coin to burn I definitely want to give that a try.

gopwins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Visit the lizard department, and buy the ground walnut media (and corn cob media), pet store versions are no different in my experience. It's sooo much cheaper, and all natural.
    I tried the pet store walnut media and I was not impressed. I dumped it out of my tumbler after two batches and returned to using corn cob media.

Top Bottom