• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    For all the reasons above, I chose the thumler's and stainless route. 4 hours and it looks like you could put it in a box and give it to the wife for Valentine's day. Inside, primer pockets, outside, are all brilliantly shiny. 5 minutes to dump them, rinse, and spin in my separator...overnight to dry or 10 minutes with a hair dryer. I like pretty brass. I just got in 2500 once fired dirty 223 brass, and I'm having fun making 500-600 a night turn into brand new sparkling again.

Which Thumler's model did you buy? I've heard good things about them. From what I can tell, they were originally designed for rock tumbling, but with the stainless media, do a good job of getting cases looking brand new. Is there a maintenance process on the media itself? I mean, it has to get dirty at some point, or maybe all the grime it takes off the cases just turns into a dust that you can dump out and wipe away?

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    I'm in the same camp as the OP. If my brass doesn't look new, it's not acceptable.

I don't like Tufnut at all. I've even had it die some cases red. I stay away from the stuff. Corncob is the way to go for shine. Add a little carwax and it'll really clean up nicely.

When I have the time, I put my brass in the dry tumbler for 12-15 hours. (that's after a two step wet wash too.)

Id be interested in knowing what your two step wet wash process is if you don't mind sharing

kwatters

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Apples and Oranges...
    Crushed walnut media is much better at cleaning brass and corncob does a better job of polishing.
    Try this, if you have really dirty brass start off with walnut then when it's clean switch over to corncob for the shine.

Both medias have their merits and uses, use them to your advantage.

This, I use Walnut first on really dirty brass. I usually pick up from outdoor sources and it can be stained pretty bad.
    Once it is clean, it usually looks dull, then it goes into the corncob with some new finish car wax, make sure you don't use car wax with ammonia in it, it will reduce its life.

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side
    Not sure what town you live in, or around? Forget the expensive Walnut media. Get over to Petsmart, or Petco for another product. Visit the lizard department, and buy the ground walnut media (and corn cob media), pet store versions are no different in my experience. It's sooo much cheaper, and all natural.

Don't throw your money away on bags of stuff in catalogs-when it's sold in larger pet stores for kid's critters.

Sad thing is the crushed walnut has no place in the pet store. It can and will kill lizards who ingest it. Good for lining the bottom of bird cages though.

Top Bottom