• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MCrupe

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Kendallville
    I went to the range yesterday with a buddy of mine to have some fun. I took my favorite Bersa Thunder Pro 9mm HC pistol with me along with my PSA AR-15. I had 200 rounds of 9mm TulAmmo and 140 rounds of .223 TulAmmo. The .223 cycled great no problems at all. The 9mm was great as well save 1 round. As I was shooting I had a ftf so I ejected the round and seen that the primer had been struck like all the others but didn't fire, so I loaded it in and tried it again and nothing! Trigger pulls number 3 and 4 had the same result. I took the round out and looked at the primer in amazement that it never fired. Finally on the fifth trigger pull the round fired. Now I am not a big fan of steel cased ammo but it is a cheap range round at $10.37 for 50 rounds at the local wal-mart. My question is, Has any one else had this problem with TulAmmo? or any other brand for that matter?

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    No, not Tula, but over the years, I have had it happen with other ammo, most went BANG the second time........oh for that cheap 9mm Egyptian FMJ back in the day!?!

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    You are lucky. Mine usually have sideways or non-flush primers on one side, which could lead to problems if trying to fire them.

TD12

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Afghanistan when I can.
    Some guns don't like certain ammo, in my opinion if you have a gun that doesn't like ANY ammo you feed it, get rid of it.

I won't keep a gun around that doesn't like certain types of ammo, because if you ever have a SHTF scenario happens I want my gun to fire ANY and EVERY kind of ammo.

Now, when a bad primer doesn't ignite the powder to fire that ammo... I feel like that could be poor manufacturing. Like you said, it only happened to one round. I would chalk that up to poor manufacturing, not the gun not liking it.

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    That's not a "TulAmmo" problem...that's just a single bad primer. I've had that happen with various factory ammo and even with handloaded ammo. Every once in a while you run into a bad primer. Not really noteworthy, IMO.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Tula primers are pretty hard. Obviously the OP's gun didn't have any problems with most of them, so it may indeed have just been a defective primer. I used to have a little pocket .380 and it didn't like Tulammo at all. I would have to pull the trigger 100+ times to get through a box of 50 rounds. That was the first and last box I tried to use with that gun.

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    That's not a "TulAmmo" problem...that's just a single bad primer. I've had that happen with various factory ammo and even with handloaded ammo. Every once in a while you run into a bad primer. Not really noteworthy, IMO.

Exactly... I actually just had a handloaded .308 fail to ignite because of a bad primer this past weekend. These are Winchester primers I'm using. So if a single Tulammo primer didn't ignite, I'd say you're doing pretty good.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    One bad round out of 200 isn't too bad, why complain? Now if you had 3,5,10 or whatever, but one round what the heck? As you said, " but it is a cheap range round at $10.37 for 50 rounds at the local wal-mart."

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana
    I have heard that the solvents the Russians use for manufacturing the Tula rounds are not good for the gun, and that if you use that ammo you need to clean the weapon more often. Can anyone confirm or debunk that?

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I have heard that the solvents the Russians use for manufacturing the Tula rounds are not good for the gun, and that if you use that ammo you need to clean the weapon more often. Can anyone confirm or debunk that?

It's generally understood that Tula is dirtier ammo, but still plenty safe to shoot and usually runs fine.

Chase515

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    Oxford, In
    I have shot 1500 Rd's tula combined out of hand guns and rifles with zero failures. I have a x pd glock with who knows how many thousand rounds through it and its had a steady diet of tula and reloads since I've owned it. The only bad steel case ammo I've seen recently is from a coworker who bought a 1000 wolf wpa brown box. 80 of the rounds were buldged at the base about the bottom 3rd, most of the rounds wouldnt come out of the mag and the one that made it in the chamber didnt come out with out the help of the cleaning rod. :twocents:

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    Worst ammo I ever used. I have put 1500 rounds through my XDM 9 without one issue and the Tula 9mm caused all kinds of problems. I left the remaining box on the range for someone.

Duron219

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2012
    East Chicago
    I've shot about 350 rounds of Tula through my M1 Carbine and never had a problem. The ammo gets my rifle really dirty and I spend more time cleaning it.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    A couple of years ago I was trying out my new M&P. I was shooting some Tula and one box had 4 ftf. I moved to my hammer fired pistol. Of the 4 two fired on the second try. The other two never fired. Still have them.

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    TulAmmo is fine. Just made through production in cheaper ways than other manufacturers.

You get defective ones every once in a while (especially primers). It happens.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I've experienced 3 dead primers in my life. One .40 and two .45. All three were Tula. Now I reload and shoot cheaper than Tula and more consistent than any factory ammo (back when it could be found).

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    There is A LOT of false information out about com bloc ammo. And with all the new shooters joining the sport, these rumors are spreading more than ever.

Here are some good factual references...

ComBloc Ammo FAQ

And here is some good reference material from a fell INGO'er

[ame]http://youtu.be/Qpo9rknFDkU[/ame]

[ame]http://youtu.be/P5ZB3UfG960[/ame]

Top Bottom