• Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I will start by saying that I 100% support the death penalty on moral grounds. There are some evil scumbags (is this word banned?) that need to stop sucking oxygen.

That said, I do want to make certain that the soon to be lifeless bad guy actually earned his execution.

This Troy Davis execution gives me doubts as seven (7) of the nine (9) witnesses have since recanted their testimony, claiming police pressure at the time.

Here are a few links:

Troy Davis case - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Troy Davis Execution Delayed, Awaiting Decision From Supreme Court : The Two-Way : NPR

I don't know if this guy did the crime or not, but loosing 7/9's of your witnesses is a big percentage to cause me to question the moral ground for proceeding with an execution.

IF HE DID IT I have no problem with the switch being thrown, but it seems like an awful big IF on the surface of what I have found.

If you have followed this in greater detail: Any thoughts?

Regards,

Doug

newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Doug (I will address you by your given name unless you prefer otherwise).

The witness testimony was not the sole piece of evidence. They were also able to recover shell casings (with his prints on them) from a shooting (and pistol whipping) of a homeless man outside of a burger king that occurred earlier in the evening. The shells from the shooting of the off-duty GA cop also matched the bullets used in the earlier shooting and also had his prints on them. He was convicted of the murder of the homeless man.

I believe that he is in fact guilty of the murder of the off duty officer, and ditched the weapon in an effort to move all blame from himself. Ive seen enough police reports to know that criminals will dump a weapon if they think they can get away with it.

I think he is guilty, and should be punished to the full extent of the law. He showed malice and anger when he brutally murdered the homeless man, and then to murder a cop in cold blood a few hours later... I think they should give him the chair.

As far as witness recantations... I think somebody (possibly the douchebags at Amnesty International, or members of any one of the many anti-death penalty groups) got to those people and made them an offer they couldnt refuse; I state that due to the idea that I could understand 1 or even a few of them recanting due to the incident occurring 20 years ago... but 7 out of 9 leads me to think something more sinister is at play.

He has gotten 20 years worth of shots to prove his innocence, now its time to get what he deserves.

Last edited:

NYFelon

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    DPRNY
    What were the reasons of the witnesses recanting?

From what I understand they claim coercion and duress. Admittedly, I have only garnered snippets from the media as I am almost wholly ignorant of the circumstances of his case.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    As far as witness recantations... I think somebody (possibly the douchebags at Amnesty International, or members of any one of the many anti-death penalty groups) got to those people and made them an offer they couldnt refuse; I state that due to the idea that I could understand 1 or even a few of them recanting due to the incident occurring 20 years ago... but 7 out of 9 leads me to think something more sinister is at play.

Interesting that you believe Amnesty International is up to something "sinister" while simultaneously discounting the witnesses claim that the police themselves put the witnesses up to their testimonies.

newtothis

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2011
    Interesting that you believe Amnesty International is up to something "sinister" while simultaneously discounting the witnesses claim that the police themselves put the witnesses up to their testimonies.

I never discounted anything. I believe the police would have liked to have gotten the perp with little to no issues, but I dont believe they made 7 people give statements. Also, I dont believe that it would have gone unnoticed if 7 people gave the exact same testimony.

Youre reading to much into it.

He is a piece of trash and should get what he has coming for him.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Absolutely, but in my limited amount of reading, I don't think that is the case.

Not to mention he's had over 20 years to be acquitted and no one has seen him as possibly innocent(well, no one that matters).

I dont know anything about the case.I just dont agree with the methods.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Please elaborate.

I don't agree. It was WAY too slow...Over twenty years too slow(if he was indeed guilty, of course).

I dont agree with the method because it's a real torture.
    Like you said he was in jail for 20 years before being killed, that means he had a double sentence of both prison and death.
    They postponed his execution 4 times in 20 years, that's horible!
    Like I said I dont know anything about the case, but can you imagine being innocent, not only doing 20 years of prison but also being told times that you will get killed the next day?
    How do you live like that, how do you sleep, when you dont know if you will get killed the next day, year or mouth?
    Even if he was guitly that's torture and that shouldn't happen in a democracy like the US.
    Plus of course the fact that when they killed him they killed the only person who really knew if he was guilty or not, besides the police officer who was killed (if he actually knew who killed him).
    Since we had many cases in the past of people doing jail time and who where later found innocent, we can imagine that the same mistakes happen with executions too.
    So it's possible (and plausible) that some states killed innocent people.
    We will never know how many.
    That's why I say I dont agree with the methods.
    Once again im not talking about this case but about the general method.

With jail time you can correct, somehow, the mistakes when the person is found innocent after while, but not with death.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    They postponed his execution 4 times in 20 years, that's horible!

In what way? In what way is a stay of execution horrible? He's on death row. He already knows he's going to die. It's not like he's getting mixed messages. "Hey, judge says you can live." "Psych! You going to the chair after all." "Then again, mebbe not."

The only thing horrible is that they actually postponed it.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    In what way? In what way is a stay of execution horrible? He's on death row. He already knows he's going to die. It's not like he's getting mixed messages. "Hey, judge says you can live." "Psych! You going to the chair after all." "Then again, mebbe not."

The only thing horrible is that they actually postponed it.

He knows he's going to die, but he doesn't know when, then he knows when but they cancel, 4 times, it's like getting ready to die a bunch of times.And that makes it horrible.
    Even more horrible if you are innocent and actually getting killed for someone else's crime.
    Not that it was the case here, I dont know, the problem is that I think nobody knows for sure if he did it, unless the guy kills someone live on TV you never know for sure.

BillyT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Indy
    This man was guilty. I fail to understand how hearsay after the verdict proves innocence not once but 7x. Sounds like bs. I trust the jurors and boat loads of judges who have reviewed this better than a media spin job.

Edit

This scum isn't a victim. That cop his kids family are the victims. Remember them not him.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom