Trip to Chicago, what to do without a firearm?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • The Beaver

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Gentleman, and possible lades, I am visiting Chicago in about a month. What have any of you taken to Chicago in the past as a defensive measure? What is ROT with knives and conceal-ability?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Justin Case

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    Brown County
    Here is my recommendation.

picture.php

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    Gentleman, and possible lades, I am visiting Chicago in about a month. What have any of you taken to Chicago in the past as a defensive measure? What is ROT with knives and conceal-ability?

where ya headed? downtown or burbs? we visit semi-frequently. how long you staying?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Chicago proper has a knife-length restriction as well as a restriction on autos. 2.5" max length.

-J-

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

Either don't go, or go buy a GOOD Louisville Slugger and carry it over your shoulder.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    An ASP and a can of wasp spray of course! Weapons are bad, but these are just innocent tools.

mikerccie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Indy - North Side
    I am forced to visit Kalifornia regularly and I always carry my United Cutlery Tactical pen. I toss it in my carry-on and once through security clip it to the neck of my polo shirt. It makes a nice pen too.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama

If you have any specific questions or want to share with me where you SPECIFICALLY where you will be, please send me a PM and I'll do my best to give you more specific information.

Stay in all white neighborhoods, predominantly white neighborhoods or in Chinatown. The crime is primarily gang crime and primarily is occurring in black and hispanic neighborhoods, mostly on the south and west sides of the city. In EVERY area, park in public parking lots, well lit areas, etc. In EVERY area be alert to your surroundings. Don't leave anything of value VISIBLE in your parked car. You can drive through unsafe neighborhoods in the daytime but its not recommended to take public transport through the unsafe neighborhoods.

"Near North" is very safe as is Chinatown during the daylight hours. Ditto for "Lincoln Park" and the surrounding areas. Ditto for the "Gold Coast" area between Lincoln Park and the Near North area. Both "Greektown" and "Downtown" are not havens for violent crime during the day but watch for pickpockets and petty thieves. Greektown in the evening is fine if you park in a well lit parking lot.

I'm in Illinois almost every day and in Chicago on a very regular basis with my family. I've NEVER had a problem in the city other than one stolen sports car that was parked on a side street in a changing neighborhood. Despite what all the comments say above mine in this thread, I actually like spending time in the city with my family and have never felt threatened...but I know the city and many of its neighborhoods.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Every time I go to Chicago to visit family, I keep my gun in the trunk of the car, ammo separate. Legally, I am not a resident and visiting, so I don't need any card or permission. Of course I can't take the gun out or anything, but it's only for SHTF situations

Top Bottom