• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Love my ACOG. I would take that over magnified Aimpoint any day. I own both, but my Aimpoint is unmagnified.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Love my ACOG. I would take that over magnified Aimpoint any day. I own both, but my Aimpoint is unmagnified.

ACOG FTW!!!!!!!! I've tried an EoTech and PA Aimpoint clone and have come to the conclusion that RDS are just not for me.

20110602183651.jpg

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have one of each, and love the both. The Aimpoint gets the win for quick and easy target acquisition at close range, as you have literally a point and click situation. Put the dot on what you want to shoot, and pull the trigger and shoot it.

The ACOG is awesome when you start adding some distance (say > 100yds) and wanting to keep quick target acquisition but have some precision to your shooting. Great glass, and the 4x and chevron (or other reticle) give you the advantages you would expect from a lowerpower scope.

I hate to play the "What are you going to use the rifle for" card, but that probably defines what optic you should go with. For general plinking inside of 100yds and the OMG SHTF Zombie home defense gun, the Aimpoint is my vote. I would suggest the 2MOA version, as the 4MOA will mean that anything less than 4" will be completely covered by the dot at 100yds, and when you magify you'll have a less crisp dot that you would with the ACOG.

If you want to still have a good optic for the Zombi-pocalypse, but also like to stretch out past 100yds, the ACOG is the way to go.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    thanks, i've spent WAAAAAAAAAAAY too much money to get her to this point. lolz

anyhoo, it's a LaRue LT-105(or maybe 104 i dont remember) QD mount for the TA33 ACOG. It is leaps and bounds ahead of the stock mount. I picked it up NIB from AR15.com EE for $80 shipped:rockwoot:

zonfather

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Indy
    jblomenberg16, you hit the nail on the head with that post. For the moment, plinking inside of 100 yds and OMG SHTF Zombie home defense gun sounds about right.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    I have one of each, and love the both. The Aimpoint gets the win for quick and easy target acquisition at close range, as you have literally a point and click situation. Put the dot on what you want to shoot, and pull the trigger and shoot it.

The ACOG is awesome when you start adding some distance (say > 100yds) and wanting to keep quick target acquisition but have some precision to your shooting. Great glass, and the 4x and chevron (or other reticle) give you the advantages you would expect from a lowerpower scope.

I hate to play the "What are you going to use the rifle for" card, but that probably defines what optic you should go with. For general plinking inside of 100yds and the OMG SHTF Zombie home defense gun, the Aimpoint is my vote. I would suggest the 2MOA version, as the 4MOA will mean that anything less than 4" will be completely covered by the dot at 100yds, and when you magify you'll have a less crisp dot that you would with the ACOG.

If you want to still have a good optic for the Zombi-pocalypse, but also like to stretch out past 100yds, the ACOG is the way to go.

While everyone has their opinion and he supports the ACOG as well....I would have to disagree in that I have engaged targets as close as 30 yards with an ACOG and with/without NVG's...and had NO PROBLEMs with target acquisition regardless of range...of course it will depend on your own eyes, skill level, and training level....anything under 40 yards if you train properly you barely need to use sites at all and should be able to effectively hit center mass with muscle memory...if not, then you aren't as proficient with your gear as you should be IMO....regardless, it's a matter of preference anyway and going to depend on your own eyes...which mine are pretty fuzzy and I never had a problem with the ACOG..........I NEVER came across or thought of a scenario where I would prefer eotech to ACOG for anything...I'm simply not a fan of them

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    dont rule the ACOG out though. i have mine zeroed for 50 yards (instead of 100 meters) and it brutally accurate. it will just take practice to get used to it. rapid fire plinking allowed me to do this (which is awesome for me...as my equipment far exceeds my ability to use it ;)) :

20110409084959.jpg

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    dont rule the ACOG out though. i have mine zeroed for 50 yards (instead of 100 meters) and it brutally accurate. it will just take practice to get used to it. rapid fire plinking allowed me to do this (which is awesome for me...as my equipment far exceeds my ability to use it ;)) :

20110409084959.jpg

what model ACOG are you using that you have zeroed at 100 yards?

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    if you zero the top-most point of the center line at 36 meters....than the tip of the "triangle" will be the approximate point of impact at 100 meters...and the round will strike at the same point (top of the line) at 300 meters...then each tick mark below that will be "on target" for their designated range (i.e. 400, 500,600-800)

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    of course it will vary slightly for different ammo....this is using military ammo....but it's gonna be roughly the same/very close.....close enough to still make kill shots at desired ranges

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    the way that reads doesn't seem to make sense...I meant to say that the round will hit at the same elevation on a target that is 36 meters away as it will on one that is 300 meters away...and so you should BZO it at 36 meters at the top point of the vertical line.........there, that sounds like it makes more sense...

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    While everyone has their opinion and he supports the ACOG as well....I would have to disagree in that I have engaged targets as close as 30 yards with an ACOG and with/without NVG's...and had NO PROBLEMs with target acquisition regardless of range...of course it will depend on your own eyes, skill level, and training level....anything under 40 yards if you train properly you barely need to use sites at all and should be able to effectively hit center mass with muscle memory...if not, then you aren't as proficient with your gear as you should be IMO....regardless, it's a matter of preference anyway and going to depend on your own eyes...which mine are pretty fuzzy and I never had a problem with the ACOG..........I NEVER came across or thought of a scenario where I would prefer eotech to ACOG for anything...I'm simply not a fan of them

Excellent point...and sounds like you've used it in some "real world" situations.

My comments were more around the relatively smaller field of view you get at close ranges with a magnified optic, but you are definitely right...it works well for binden aiming at close ranges too.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Yeah, I felt the same way once.....I thought the magnification would be excessive up close too....but really at that range you're going to hit from muscle memory escpecially in a CQB situation....of course you still can use the sites but you should keep both eyes open at that range in order to get a good field of view for your safety...in which case your sites really become more of a quick reference point....and as many practice rounds as you've fired you're going to be able to hit close range targets with your "eyes closed"

the ACOG (at least the right models) are BY FAR the best and most versatile optic for the AR platform hands down...or for any combat optic for that matter.......Eotechs might be cool on a video game....but in real life it's only effective at close range and you must change sites from one second to the next if you must engage a target at a different range...and you never know what's going to happen....so I simply use the ACOG and don't have to worry about any of that....keep the removeable carry handle sight as backup if necessary.....

..for any sort of "combat" situation.....ACOG!!!.....other than that it's all a "cool" factor....except for long range and of course scopes

Top Bottom