First implemented as Vetigel:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

First implemented as Vetigel:

That is impressive. I wonder what the shelf life is?

INP8riot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2023
    Rockville
    I have had something similar to that in my med kit for years. It is quick clot in a syringe to put into a puncture type wound. That looks similar based on what I can tell just in gel form. That and a fox seal should greatly help any chest cavity non-planned entries.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    I have had something similar to that in my med kit for years. It is quick clot in a syringe to put into a puncture type wound. That looks similar based on what I can tell just in gel form. That and a fox seal should greatly help any chest cavity non-planned entries.

Celox works by adhering to tissue and physically blocking the bleed. Quickclot absorbs the water in blood and thereby concentrates the clotting factors in blood so they can form a clot. Both require holding direct pressure until they set up. The gauze versions require wound packing and the granules have to be dumped in and reach the bleeding site.

I can’t find what the mechanism for Traumagel is, whether it physically blocks the wound or works with clotting factors or something else.

Traumagel is a gel that is supposed to flow into the wound (via pressure from syringe), act in seconds, and not require pressure. So easier to apply and faster to work.

Also it is being tested by the Army as a first aid treatment for penetrating brain injuries. Right now not much you can do besides bandage the hole and get the patient to a neurosurgeon.

Hopefully it works out. I think it’s a good sign that the veterinary world has been using it for sometime now.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Celox works by adhering to tissue and physically blocking the bleed. Quickclot absorbs the water in blood and thereby concentrates the clotting factors in blood so they can form a clot. Both require holding direct pressure until they set up. The gauze versions require wound packing and the granules have to be dumped in and reach the bleeding site.

I can’t find what the mechanism for Traumagel is, whether it physically blocks the wound or works with clotting factors or something else.

Traumagel is a gel that is supposed to flow into the wound (via pressure from syringe), act in seconds, and not require pressure. So easier to apply and faster to work.

Also it is being tested by the Army as a first aid treatment for penetrating brain injuries. Right now not much you can do besides bandage the hole and get the patient to a neurosurgeon.

Hopefully it works out. I think it’s a good sign that the veterinary world has been using it for sometime now.
    My question would be how deeply the gel will penetrate in relation to the depth of the wound so that, while it might stop external blood loss by preventing it from flowing freely out of the body, will it penetrate to the depth necessary to stop the bleed at its deepest point, so one doesn't continue bleed internally? I'd like to see some research on that with demonstrated results.
    Head injuries...one has to be careful how much pressure ends up inside the cranium due to orbital blowout or pressure on the Pons and the Medulla Oblongata (ANS) of the brain stem.
    Veterinary work would provide 'real-life' experience...I remember a USAF flight doc, back in the late '80's, who was training army field medics in SW Texas, they would take goats and sheep out and shoot them and the medics would have to work to keep them alive! Good real-life training.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    My question would be how deeply the gel will penetrate in relation to the depth of the wound so that, while it might stop external blood loss by preventing it from flowing freely out of the body, will it penetrate to the depth necessary to stop the bleed at its deepest point, so one doesn't continue bleed internally? I'd like to see some research on that with demonstrated results.
    from what I’ve read, the point of making it a gel is so that it does flow to the deepest part of the wound, and this is why it’s in a syringe to provide the pressure to make the gel flow.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    from what I’ve read, the point of making it a gel is so that it does flow to the deepest part of the wound, and this is why it’s in a syringe to provide the pressure to make the gel flow.
    I understand...and it makes sense, but I would still like to read the research on that...especially in soft tissue, specifically the thoracic area where there's nothing solid to keep the gel flowing in a specific direction rather than simple press outward evenly in all directions - example, lung tissue filled with alveoli, capillary blood vessels, and other soft / squishy tissue, especially with a broken rib or two, reducing resistive compression, if that makes any sense? As a former volunteer EMT with 26 years' experience, in dealing with flail chest wounds, there's nothing to support lung function on the injured side, unless one creates the resistive barrier (aka, secure the rib motion via a compression wrap.)

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I understand...and it makes sense, but I would still like to read the research on that...especially in soft tissue, specifically the thoracic area where there's nothing solid to keep the gel flowing in a specific direction rather than simple press outward evenly in all directions - example, lung tissue filled with alveoli, capillary blood vessels, and other soft / squishy tissue, especially with a broken rib or two, reducing resistive compression, if that makes any sense? As a former volunteer EMT with 26 years' experience, in dealing with flail chest wounds, there's nothing to support lung function on the injured side, unless one creates the resistive barrier (aka, secure the rib motion via a compression wrap.)
    I'm guessing you wouldn't want a the gel in the lung tissue and becoming a thrombosis... riding up and occluding something.

We packed the footballs with the QClot gauze which made me realize if youre patient is conscious he's not gonna like you very much whilst you're doing this. That syringe applicator looks like it would be much less invasive and fairly quick. Won't be painless but snow em up with versed before you push the gel

Somemedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm guessing you wouldn't want a the gel in the lung tissue and becoming a thrombosis... riding up and occluding something.

We packed the footballs with the QClot gauze which made me realize if youre patient is conscious he's not gonna like you very much whilst you're doing this. That syringe applicator looks like it would be much less invasive and fairly quick. Won't be painless but snow em up with versed before you push the syringe

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn

We packed the footballs with the QClot gauze which made me realize if youre patient is conscious he's not gonna like you very much whilst you're doing this. That syringe applicator looks like it would be much less invasive and fairly quick. Won't be painless but snow em up with versed before you push the gel
    Exactly...I just see secondary complications from this form of treatment, especially the potential of the gel becoming a thrombosis blocking other function.
    Another question might be how well would it work in the event of a upper femoral artery laceration and retraction (example, GSW), where the actual blood loss will be in the lower abdominal cavity while the visible wound in the upper thigh?

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Exactly...I just see secondary complications from this form of treatment, especially the potential of the gel becoming a thrombosis blocking other function.
    Another question might be how well would it work in the event of a upper femoral artery laceration and retraction (example, GSW), where the actual blood loss will be in the lower abdominal cavity while the visible wound in the upper thigh?
    I think another big concern would be, the surgeon missing some of the jel contained within blood vessels or arteries and sooner or later it creates a blockage in the heart of even the brain.

Top Bottom