• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SHCdvldg

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Waukesha
    So I'm putting together a small-ish trama kit to keep in my car and take to the range at all times. I know I need the basic stuff like israeli bandages, quikclot gauze, nasopharangeal tube, trauma shears, tourniquets, ace wraps, kerlix, etc. What else do I need? Where is a good place online to pick this stuff up? Its going into an OSOE compact tear off med pouch and mounting on my B.O.B thats already in my car. Right now I only have a boo boo kit and I know that is unacceptable. Any knowledgeable help will be greatly appreciated. I am familiar with the use of the various parts from being in the military and having gone through the combat lifesaver course, but I'm looking into a medical specific tactical training course.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    sounds like you have the basics already under control. narescue.com is a good place to buy.

I have in mine gause, kerlix, tourniquets, israelis, maxi-pads, shears and gloves. thats the one I grab when going on people shot/stabbed runs. our EMS is only minutes away the majority of the time so I only carry what i am likely to need as a first responder until the pros get there.

Blackjack43

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    You have some good stuff. Just know that you need propper training before you go putting things in peoples noses. Get some gloves, lots of gause, don't use turniquet unless you have absolutely no other option. It can do a lot of damage. Some tweezers, a light, antiseptic wipes, alcohol prep pads, tape, etc...

Bmrdude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    As a 24 year EMT/firefighter, I'd suggest adding OP airways (easier than NP's unless absolutely needed, plus they need lubed to fit), BP cuff/stethoscope, SAM splints, Curlex wrap, medical tape, 4x4 gauze pads, saline solution (bottles), eye pads (if one eye is injured, pad both), OB kit, plenty of rubber gloves, isolation masks for you, pocket resuscitator mask (for CPR), peroxide/alcohol bottles, aspirin, Visine,
    hand cleanser (pump bottles), Benedryl, a couple of towel rolls for C-spine stabilization... well, that's about all I can think of right now.

Remember ABC's: Airway, breathing, circulation (Adult CPR is 30:2 ratio compressions to breaths, child/infant is 15:2)

Also, your safety is first! Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Good luck :)

Dj15802

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Avon, IN
    As a 24 year EMT/firefighter, I'd suggest adding OP airways (easier than NP's unless absolutely needed, plus they need lubed to fit), BP cuff/stethoscope, SAM splints, Curlex wrap, medical tape, 4x4 gauze pads, saline solution (bottles), eye pads (if one eye is injured, pad both), OB kit, plenty of rubber gloves, isolation masks for you, pocket resuscitator mask (for CPR), peroxide/alcohol bottles, aspirin, Visine,
    hand cleanser (pump bottles), Benedryl, a couple of towel rolls for C-spine stabilization... well, that's about all I can think of right now.

Remember ABC's: Airway, breathing, circulation (Adult CPR is 30:2 ratio compressions to breaths, child/infant is 15:2)

Also, your safety is first! Be part of the solution, not part of the problem.

Good luck :)
    Rate has changed again. 30:2 for adult and 30:2 pediatric for 1 person and 30:2 adult 2 person with 15:2 pediatric 2 person.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    You have some good stuff. Just know that you need propper training before you go putting things in peoples noses. Get some gloves, lots of gause, don't use turniquet unless you have absolutely no other option. It can do a lot of damage. Some tweezers, a light, antiseptic wipes, alcohol prep pads, tape, etc...

I have added a few cans of Arm and Hammer saline spray...I seen them use that at the hospital for cleaning and packing a wound. Around $4.00 at Wally World.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    sounds like you have the basics already under control. narescue.com is a good place to buy.

I have in mine gause, kerlix, tourniquets, israelis, maxi-pads, shears and gloves. thats the one I grab when going on people shot/stabbed runs. our EMS is only minutes away the majority of the time so I only carry what i am likely to need as a first responder until the pros get there.

Thanks for posting that link. I'm slowly working on getting kits together, and a good IFAK is something I have not yet even started. This site is going to be clutch in filling that up. Although, I think that instead of buying their quite expensive IFAK kits, I'll get my own MOLLE pouch(es) to fill up with individual supplies I get, likely from this site.

Rep added.

Shibby575

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2011
    NE IN
    Be sure you educate yourself on the quickclot. If not utilized properly, and medical treatment sought afterwards, it can cause a **** load of problems.

Dragon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Muncie, IN
    Be sure you educate yourself on the quickclot. If not utilized properly, and medical treatment sought afterwards, it can cause a **** load of problems.

This is old info. Visit their site and look around some, it's now in the form of gauze, has no thermo reaction, isn't granular so doesn't require surgery to remove or massive irrigation.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    I would focus primarily on bleeding control if you are going to be taking this kit to the range.

• Some type of absorbent gauze. (Kerlex, 4x4 gauze, ABD pads, Israeli bandages)
    • Tourniquet (want to be cheap, use an old belt)
    • Band-aids of various sizes (because someone always needs a band-aid)
    • Bottled Saline (many different options) to clean wounds
    • Tape (even duct tape works)
    • Ace wrap or elastic bandage to stabilized joints or create pressure dressings
      • SAM Splint or some type of stiff material to fashion a split (thick cardboard, thin, small wood planks, etc)
    • CPR Mask
      • Leave the nasopharyngeal airway (NP), oropharyngeal airway (OP), BVM, etc out unless you are currently certified, licensed or qualified to use this devices. If you need these you have bigger fish to fry and improperly inserting or using them can cause more harm them good.
    • Something for an occlusive dressing. If you don't know what an occlusive dressing is for then you probably shouldn't have one.
    • Gloves - body substance isolation. You just never know what germs other people have.
    Training, training, training. There is no point in having any of this equipment if you don't have the knowledge to deploy it effectively.

in_betts

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    North of FW
    First let me say right up front that I am not an expert, at almost anything. I would add that Vetrap (Coban) can be very useful. Having been through four hand surgeries where this was used as a dressing, I keep it on hand for the just in case. You can warp this so tight it will work as a tourniquet, and so loosely that it makes a gentle wound dressing. Very durable and cheap too! Thanks mostly to the equestrian folks as the best source is a Tractor Supply or similar store. And if you are in need of fashion, it comes in colors, including regular and urban camouflage.

Top Bottom