• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    So you're packing ,you get pulled over for 30 in a 25, he's got you and you know it.
    He asks you " Do you know why I stopped you?"
    You say " no sir" like yer supposed to .
    He states "You were exceeding the speed limit, can I see your license, registration and proof of insurance please?"
    You hand 'em over. Now do you have to tell him you have a concealed handgun on your person or in the vehicle?
    My nephew was told it was a felony if you didn't tell them about it during a traffic stop.
    Looking for real law here not what your cousin's,, sister's, manicurist's ,lawyer's, half brother told him over a beer.:)

L-W-R-C

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Willow Branch
    i have been puled over with my uncle and they have seen the gun without him saying he had it in the glove box when he got the registration and they asked for permit and had no problem with it.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Another one of these threads? It is getting almost as bad as the threads about 50 posts! In indiana, there is no law that says you must voluntarily tell the LEO about your LTCH or your firearm. It would be nice to know, but there isn't any legal ramification for not telling.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    So you're packing ,you get pulled over for 30 in a 25, he's got you and you know it.
    He asks you " Do you know why I stopped you?"
    You say " no sir" like yer supposed to .
    He states "You were exceeding the speed limit, can I see your license, registration and proof of insurance please?"
    You hand 'em over. Now do you have to tell him you have a concealed handgun on your person or in the vehicle?
    My nephew was told it was a felony if you didn't tell them about it during a traffic stop.
    Looking for real law here not what your cousin's,, sister's, manicurist's ,lawyer's, half brother told him over a beer.:)
    The law your looking for does not exist. Laws are not made to make things legal. They are made to make things illegal.
    There is no law making it a crime to not inform LE that you are carrying.

Some states do have a duty to inform law. IN is not one of them.

Cpt Caveman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    57   0   1
    Feb 5, 2009
    Brown County
    Thanks, Kludge, Beau. I really appreciate your willingness to help me straighten this out.Yer both stand up Americans.
    Xamsx and Frank ,if you didn't wanna deal with "Another one of these threads" then why'd you take the time to respond? Wasn't looking for your attitude. Thanks anyway, though.

Last edited:

clt46910

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Akron Indiana
    There is no law that says you have to. I carry my LTCH with my drivers licence. So I hand it over with the rest.

From my experience, I am asked if I am carrying and where is it. I tell him, he says Ok thanks for telling me. Comes back, gives me a warning instead of a ticket. Wishes me a good day.

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    Thanks, Kludge, Beau. I really appreciate your willingness to help me straighten this out.Yer both stand up Americans.
    Xamsx and Frank ,if you didn't wanna deal with "Another one of these threads" then why'd you take the time to respond? Wasn't looking for your attitude. Thanks anyway, though.

I don't think Xamsx or Frank were giving attitude.....merely pointing out the fact that if one might consider using the search function one might have been able to find the multitude of threads and the law already cited without a new thread. I have the distinct feeling that had it been real attitude......there would be no question as to what it was.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Some say "never tell", while others say "always tell".

Here is what I (would) do:

Hand the officer exactly what he asked for, nothing more. If, at some point during the stop, I'm asked to get out of my vehicle, or if my handgun is in such a position to become inadvertantly discovered (like falling out of the glovebox), I will THEN politely inform him. Something to the tune of "yes Officer I'll get out, but for your safety I'd like to inform you that I am carrying a handgun on my right hip, would you care to see my LTCH?"

This way, a "routine" stop can stay a routine stop, without the possiblity of disarming and blah blah blah. However, I also don't want to be drawn down on when my six-shooter falls out of the glovebox while I'm retreiving my registration, or when I get out of the car and the wind blows my cover garment up.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Some say "never tell", while others say "always tell".

Here is what I (would) do:

Hand the officer exactly what he asked for, nothing more. If, at some point during the stop, I'm asked to get out of my vehicle, or if my handgun is in such a position to become inadvertantly discovered (like falling out of the glovebox), I will THEN politely inform him. Something to the tune of "yes Officer I'll get out, but for your safety I'd like to inform you that I am carrying a handgun on my right hip, would you care to see my LTCH?"

This way, a "routine" stop can stay a routine stop, without the possiblity of disarming and blah blah blah. However, I also don't want to be drawn down on when my six-shooter falls out of the glovebox while I'm retreiving my registration, or when I get out of the car and the wind blows my cover garment up.

Ok guys give the OP a break. Remember that we INGOers pride ourselves on not being like "other" boards that treat new questions with disdain.

For the record, there was no disdain implied on my part. I was trying to make light of the situation, but obviously it was taken the wrong way. Tell, don't tell....do whatever you want. I like to know, but if you don't tell me and I find out later my panties won't be in a wad. And contrary to popular opinion, just because I see your carry piece that you didn't tell me about doesn't mean I'm going to stick my Glock fo-tay in your ear. Now if that carry piece is in your hand, thats another story. I have no problem with guns being in holsters, glove boxes, center consoles, under the seat, etc. I won't tell you to give it to me, so do me the favor of keeping your hand off of it.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I don't think Xamsx or Frank were giving attitude.....merely pointing out the fact that if one might consider using the search function one might have been able to find the multitude of threads and the law already cited without a new thread. I have the distinct feeling that had it been real attitude......there would be no question as to what it was.

The search engine sucks, and returns terrible results. This is a gun forum. People talk about guns, and ask questions about guns. Frankly, everything to be talked about has been, questions to be asked have been. If we're to respond rudely to repeat questions, there is no need for the forum. Merely a FAQ.

The grown up thing to do, if one is bored with a subject, is to ignore it. Instead, some are deciding to make sure the poster is aware of the fact that some folks know it all, and knows better than to ask questions and further his knowledge in the future, to avoid being slammed by ill mannered people without the self restraint to simply NOT CLICK on a thread which holds no interest for them.

EvoVIIIMatt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    I did not let the state trooper know I was carrying this morning when I got to meet him for speeding. I didn't think he needed to know.

teh Nub

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Clark Co
    I wouldn't say anything unless the firearm would become visible while I was retrieving my licenses, registration, or insurance. I've heard of 1 or 2 people talking about handing over their permit with their drivers license and the cop went kinda nuts. I guess it depends on the officer and how they will react, after all they are just trying to stay alive while doing their job...

Top Bottom