• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Read a couple posts up, I don't give another cop any blind faith just because he has a badge. Even if it's the same one I have. I am an FTO (Field Training Officer) and am all too familiar with the **** poor minimum training standards.

And for personal blind faith, well, I'd have to get to know someone personally before I put any kind of faith in them like that, cop, priest, judge, whatever they do....

EDIT: Found the post I referenced.

I had read that was offering an explanation on why so many of us that are Veterans seem to have a Distrust of LEOs...

Well that and the fact that some of us have worked for, with, or around enough of the Alphabet Agencies to give anyone a strong distrust of anyone with Authority granted by the State...

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I had read that was offering an explanation on why so many of us that are Veterans seem to have a Distrust of LEOs...

Well that and the fact that some of us have worked for, with, or around enough of the Alphabet Agencies to give anyone a strong distrust of anyone with Authority granted by the State...

I can understand that and will even agree that there are a good deal of cops that think that just because someone else is a cop, they are good people.

But, I am not going to begin to discuss the alphabet agencies ;)

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I think that we actually made some progress in this thread and it will be interesting to see what the admin implements for the future. However, I have to get to bed and get up with the kids in the morning.

On a side note, Is Que ever really going to lock this thread?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I think we are all operating under different definitions of courtesy, faith, trust and respect. Everyone earns my courtesy until they've done something personally to lose it. Faith, trust and respect are different for me.

I had a temp worker approach me and ask me if I was ever in the military. He could tell by the way I carried myself, yada, yada. My physique sure didn't give it away. This guy still had the say hooah at anything gleam in his eye. He told me that he couldn't raise his arm past his shoulder because he got injured in Iraq. I asked him various questions and my bs meter went through the roof. I have no doubt he shipped to basic but I'd bet $20 that he was a medical or psych wash out. I asked him what unit he went to combat with and he literally put his hand on his forehead and looked like he was straining his brain to remember. He couldn't think of the unit he went to combat with.

So no, as one who was in the military, I don't give my trust to another vet just because they say they were in. I didn't let the guy know I knew he was full of ****. I just know not to trust or respect him.

We should all be courteous to everyone but vet their words and actions.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Kick, please outline the progress made. The only thing I've seen are a few people having civil discussion, which should be possible anyway, right? Oh yeah, I'm not crazy enough to close one of Fenway's threads. After all, he freakin' owns an alphabet agency! :eek:

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    While this isn't exactly keeping with the OP, a couple of Q&A's might help Fenway make his decision.
    What do some members hope to accomplish with the constant ranting and raving against law enforcement?
    What is the end goal to post the same rhetoric over and over?

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    While this isn't exactly keeping with the OP, a couple of Q&A's might help Fenway make his decision.
    What do some members hope to accomplish with the constant ranting and raving against law enforcement?

Does there really have to be an "end goal" (or motive) for the folks who express outrage or disapproval of something? (even if they do so repeatedly).

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Kick, please outline the progress made. The only thing I've seen are a few people having civil discussion, which should be possible anyway, right? Oh yeah, I'm not crazy enough to close one of Fenway's threads. After all, he freakin' owns an alphabet agency! :eek:

:laugh: @ Fenway owning an alphabet agency....

The thread has generated several ideas on how to reduce the amount of bashing or "perceived bashing" (based on who is reading the post). Some of the ideas (like yours) have been seconded.

Several of the pro-leos, anti-leos, and those that are somewhere in the middle did have civil discussions. If you look back to other threads, most of the civil discussions were just people on one side or the other waiting for the other to "slip up" and then words were twisted to fit what ever agenda someone was promoting. The civil discussion in this thread seemed to be an attempt at both sides to bridge the gap and promote progress. Although, I will concede that not much tangible progress was made in seeking a solution, I feel that the civil discussion in itself was progress.

iChokePeople

Master
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   1
    Feb 11, 2011
    The thread has generated several ideas on how to reduce the amount of bashing or "perceived bashing" (based on who is reading the post).

THIS ^^ is, IMHO, the problem with trying to define 'bashing' from earlier in the thread. The line on what's 'bashing' moves, for most people, when they believe they're the target/victim.

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Does there really have to be an "end goal" (or motive) for the folks who express outrage or disapproval of something? (even if they do so repeatedly).

Yes there does. By someone doing or saying something, they want to accomplish a goal. Otherwise there is no reason to do or say it.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    Yes there does. By someone doing or saying something, they want to accomplish a goal. Otherwise there is no reason to do or say it.

Ok, so then what was your motivation behind your questioning their motivation?

I am not picking on you or anything Dogman, your post just sort of had an odd circular reasoning to it that struck me a bit funny.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood

Fenways question had to do with how to handle the so called "cop bashing" . (I think.... It's been so long ago, I could be wrong!)
    As far as What you call ranting and raving or rhetoric, I think issues that some people have with individual LEO's, or with police in general, are important enough to them that they post their thoughts on here and some times, those conversations get out of hand, and perhaps do actually turn into "bashing".
    Of course, some are probably "bashing" from the beginning!
    Personally, I don't have a problem with well meaning back and forth dispute and/or debate!!!! I think the problem is only when that discussion turns into personal insults, threats, or just irresponsible or I'll-mannered talk. That's when the moderators should and do(sometimes too early, IMO) jump in and tell those involved to calm down or close the thread. Rules are already in place for those situations, and I don't think any more really needs to be done, besides what I already mentioned many pages ago, perhaps having threads specifically for discussing LEO related issues, ( also, religion, race,etc,) so that anyone who thinks they may get upset reading those types of discussions can simply stay out of those threads and save themselves the headaches and ulcers, and save the rest of us from their crying and whining fits!

Dogman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Hamilton County
    Ok, so then what was your motivation behind your questioning their motivation?

I am not picking on you or anything Dogman, your post just sort of had an odd circular reasoning to it that struck me a bit funny.

To see what the reason is behind the continual ranting that goes on by some members.

Top Bottom