• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    How about, "this cops actions are the very reason I'm leery about other cops". Yes, I agree it's unfair, but that is life, isn't it?

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    How about, "this cops actions are the very reason I'm leery about other cops". Yes, I agree it's unfair, but that is life, isn't it?

REALLY!?!?!?! For the love of GOD! I normally do not butt heads with you but, WOW!

How about, if you think it could be considered bashing, DON'T POST IT HERE!
    As I have stated before, go join copwatch and bash your heart out if that's what you really want to do.

*Second paragraph not aimed at Rookie, aimed at anyone who really wants to bash.*

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    All this back and forth is'nt really getting anywhere that we have'nt already been before. Maybe it's time for a decision and everybody can just deal with it.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    All this back and forth is'nt really getting anywhere that we have'nt already been before. Maybe it's time for a decision and everybody can just deal with it.

Yeah, I have seen a couple of good ideas tossed out by Que, Bill, myself, and others. Some of them have been seconded by others.

If not decision time maybe just time for simple polls.

One to define or not define bashing and another with some of the ideas that have been proposed.

I agree 100% that this "Town Hall Meeting" was a good idea and a step in the right direction, it has ran it's course.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    Below from dictionary.com
    bash·ing

  noun 1. the act of beating, whipping, or thrashing: a series of unsolved bashings and robberies.

2. a decisive defeat: We gave the visiting team a good bashing.

3. (used in combination) a. unprovoked physical assaults against members of a specified group: gay-bashing.

b. verbal abuse, as of a group or a nation: feminist-bashing; China-bashing.

Bold added by me to indicate the section of the definition that would apply to our situation.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Yeah, I have seen a couple of good ideas tossed out by Que, Bill, myself, and others. Some of them have been seconded by others.

One to define or not define bashing and another with some of the ideas that have been proposed.

I agree 100% that this "Town Hall Meeting" was a good idea and a step in the right direction, it has ran it's course.
    It has yet to "run its course". We've still not seen a cogent explanation of what "bashing" even is. Seen loads of butt hurt but nothing that comes close to actually defining "bashing".

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN

Yup!!
    It's degenerated into just another of the tiresome "Us vs Them" Threads.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009

I agree and to tell you the truth with all the participants in this thread, of which i've participated from the beginning, even though there was some spirited debate at times from both sides I can't recall it ever getting to the point of "Bashing" Maybe that's a good thing.

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    REALLY!?!?!?! For the love of GOD! I normally do not butt heads with you but, WOW!

How about, if you think it could be considered bashing, DON'T POST IT HERE!
    As I have stated before, go join copwatch and bash your heart out if that's what you really want to do.

*Second paragraph not aimed at Rookie, aimed at anyone who really wants to bash.*

:yesway: I can agree with that

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    It has yet to "run its course". We've still not seen a cogent explanation of what "bashing" even is. Seen loads of butt hurt but nothing that comes close to actually defining "bashing".

Read my post directly above yours. I'm not the smartest guy in the world. I'm not a dumb guy either. I would like to think I am of average intelligence. However, I simply fail to understand what is so complex about bashing.

No one needs to know what gay-bashing, black-bashing, white-bashing, Latino-bashing, Asian-bashing, or any other kind of bashing is. For some reason you put "cop" in front of bashing and everyone looses all of their sense.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    My suggestion is that when someone posts a thread about what they feel was a positive encounter with LEOs, the first person to post (in purple or not) that it was a fishing expedition, his rights were violated etc... gets to meet the banhammer. It is not the threads borne of single incidents that constitute bashing IMHO, but rather the good threads that go south because anti-LEO loudmouths want to armchair quarterback someone else's experience and put their own negative spin on it.
    Well here ya go...have at it.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/155451-1000_to_law_enforcement.html

:popcorn:

IMO...of course...let the small handful of individuals responsible for this thread continue.

The only way I'd be good with banning them is if it became a personal attack or there were threats (veiled or not) of violence. And since I've seen that from the majority of that small handful...the problem could have already been solved.

Unless I'm sleeping with them...their opinion of me is really meaningless. :twocents:

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I agree and to tell you the truth with all the participants in this thread, of which i've participated from the beginning, even though there was some spirited debate at times from both sides I can't recall it ever getting to the point of "Bashing" Maybe that's a good thing.

I can't say it has either. Definately some spirited debate and some posts that were a little "ill worded" (myself included) but, I don't think it ever degenerated to bashing either. It's yet another sign that things may be starting to head in the right direction.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Read my post directly above yours. I'm not the smartest guy in the world. I'm not a dumb guy either. I would like to think I am of average intelligence. However, I simply fail to understand what is so complex about bashing.

No one needs to know what gay-bashing, black-bashing, white-bashing, Latino-bashing, Asian-bashing, or any other kind of bashing is. For some reason you put "cop" in front of bashing and everyone looses all of their sense.
    That's nice, and all, but you're going to have to spell things out for everyone. We all know that definition, but it gets us nowhere because "bashing" in this instance seems more than a bit subjective, as 88GT has more than made abundantly clear. What I might consider "bashing", someone else might not. Frankly, I don't see a lot of "bashing" going on. Criticism, yes. I've seen a few people engage in the "I hate all cops", but they usually get modded. It's not a prevalent thing here, despite the whinging. Criticism of events. departments, individuals and actions are often seen by some here as "bashing", when clearly they're not. This is just another case of hecklers veto as far as I can tell.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Well here ya go...have at it.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/break_room/155451-1000_to_law_enforcement.html

:popcorn:

IMO...of course...let the small handful of individuals responsible for this thread continue.

The only way I'd be good with banning them is if it became a personal attack or there were threats (veiled or not) of violence. And since I've seen that from the majority of that small handful...the problem could have already been solved.

Unless I'm sleeping with them...their opinion of me is really meaningless. :twocents:
    You're just looking to add to your bone collection section right next to AE :D

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    That's nice, and all, but you're going to have to spell things out for everyone. We all know that definition, but it gets us nowhere because "bashing" in this instance seems more than a bit subjective, as 88GT has more than made abundantly clear. What I might consider "bashing", someone else might not. Frankly, I don't see a lot of "bashing" going on. Criticism, yes. I've seen a few people engage in the "I hate all cops", but they usually get modded. It's not a prevalent thing here, despite the whinging. Criticism of events. departments, individuals and actions are often seen by some here as "bashing", when clearly they're not. This is just another case of hecklers veto as far as I can tell.

OK. I think that's were you and I are just going to have to agree to disagree and let things be what they are going to be. You state that you need a more clear definition and you feel that you are entitled to one.

I feel that its ridiculous to have to define it. As I stated in the post that you quoted, no one needs a definition of any other kind of bashing to simply not do it. Why does it become so complicated when it comes to cop bashing?

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN

OK. I think that's were you and I are just going to have to agree to disagree and let things be what they are going to be. You state that you need a more clear definition and you feel that you are entitled to one.

I feel that its ridiculous to have to define it. As I stated in the post that you quoted, no one needs a definition of any other kind of bashing to simply not do it. Why does it become so complicated when it comes to cop bashing?
    Because when someone can't win the argument they cloud the issue. :rolleyes:

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I really don't think anything is going to change. There will always be bashing and disagreements here.

Even if the MODS start banning, someone will cry and yell "but what about my freedom of speech!"

And you'll have the regular bashers who will argue they AREN'T bashing, but they don't realize they are too stubborn and hardheaded to know what they're doing IS being a cop basher.

Disagreements are one thing. Bashing is another. There's nothing wrong in being pissed off at one particular cop. But things get way outta hand here. And I don't see that changing. People don't change their ways. History has proven that.

Top Bottom