• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    James and Chantal Dodson, of Pennsylvania, spent their life-savings on medical care for their sickly infant, who passed away at 10 months old. Overcome with medical bills and unable to afford a cemetery plot, they decided to bury their son on their 5-acre property.

The free republic where they live requires that the "property owners" pay substantial fees to the government in order to acquire permission to use their "private property" for this purpose. The town demands a $650 application fee as well as $500 per day fines until they submit to the demands of the Nanny State.

Pa. family buries infant son in yard over lack of money; town says they need zoning change

Family buries baby in yard because they can’t afford a grave plot

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    Wow, I cannot find the words to politely say what I want to say to that Board. I feel for this family, it must be just heartbreaking to watch your young child suffer and die only to be treated like this from your community. What a ysigvbeiugfnfngoinfoin finfg jfowjf nfjnfijfopfpwjnf !!! (aka lots of bad words ;) )

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    there has to be some laws or standards in place for disposal of a body. decomposing bodies are an unhealthy thing and a casket itself will not properly keep all the bad stuff in. in todays society we have many more people on the earth than back in the day. I do think some things should be on a case by case basis. if there wasnt laws like this though, you would have people throwing bodies in dumpsters, burying them in their small back yards, not burying deep enough, etc. it would get out of hand.

I dont wanna read this sad story, so I didnt, but sometimes you have to do things the right way. Im sure they could have taken up a collection from the community to help with expenses of ta proper burial. I would have gave them some $$.

vz. 61

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Dead animals decompose almost everywhere all the time, what does it matter if it's human? So long as no harm is caused to anyone else or their property there is no crime.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    there has to be some laws or standards in place for disposal of a body. decomposing bodies are an unhealthy thing and a casket itself will not properly keep all the bad stuff in. in todays society we have many more people on the earth than back in the day. I do think some things should be on a case by case basis. if there wasnt laws like this though, you would have people throwing bodies in dumpsters, burying them in their small back yards, not burying deep enough, etc. it would get out of hand.

I dont wanna read this sad story, so I didnt, but sometimes you have to do things the right way. Im sure they could have taken up a collection from the community to help with expenses of ta proper burial. I would have gave them some $$.
    While I agree... It seems that if you pay the fee in this town...it's OK. That's the problem.

They live on 5 acres. I don't see the problem. But then where do you draw the line? 4 acres, 2 acres, 1/2 acre? What happens when someone in the vinyl villages decide they want to bury a family member in the back yard?

But again...the issue appears to be permits. Either you can do it...or you can't.

But just because you can't afford the proper paperwork? :noway:

Now if you'll excuse me....I'm going out back to pick out a nice spot for the mother-in-law.

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU
    Wow, I cannot find the words to politely say what I want to say to that Board. I feel for this family, it must be just heartbreaking to watch your young child suffer and die only to be treated like this from your community. What a ysigvbeiugfnfngoinfoin finfg jfowjf nfjnfijfopfpwjnf !!! (aka lots of bad words ;) )

You took the words right out my mouth:(

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    While I agree... It seems that if you pay the fee in this town...it's OK. That's the problem.

They live on 5 acres. I don't see the problem. But then where do you draw the line? 4 acres, 2 acres, 1/2 acre? What happens when someone in the vinyl villages decide they want to bury a family member in the back yard?

But again...the issue appears to be permits. Either you can do it...or you can't.

But just because you can't afford the proper paperwork? :noway:

Now if you'll excuse me....I'm going out back to pick out a nice spot for the mother-in-law.

i agree with you too. I dont believe it should be based on how much $$ you have like so many things under the kings rule are. my only consideration was from a sanitary and health concern. also, I almost added the "where do you draw the line" argument but didnt. seems like we are on the same page.

when I die, I would like my ashes mixed with dog food, then after the BIG dog takes a crap, I would like said crap placed on the door steps of the U.S. capitol. Ive been beneath their feet my whole life, why not stick with them? :D

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville

Were people doing that before it was required by law?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    The law is law, while we don't have to agree with it it still is the law. It needs to be changed if people don't like it. But I personally do agree, burrying on your own property is a no no. Technically here, and almost anywhere I imagine, it's against the law to burry any animal on your own property.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    As if the .gov doesn't have enough control over my life. Now I need to get their permission to use my own property?
    Sadly, yes. Build without the permits and the city can force you to knock it down or pay heavy fines. My father-in-law was a building inspector for the City of Indianapolis. He eventually quit because he hated that he was expected to hammer "Joe Taxpayer" for violations but would get in trouble for doing the same to builders.

Garb

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Richmond
    i agree with you too. I dont believe it should be based on how much $$ you have like so many things under the kings rule are. my only consideration was from a sanitary and health concern. also, I almost added the "where do you draw the line" argument but didnt. seems like we are on the same page.

when I die, I would like my ashes mixed with dog food, then after the BIG dog takes a crap, I would like said crap placed on the door steps of the U.S. capitol. Ive been beneath their feet my whole life, why not stick with them? :D

I owe you some rep for that later lol. :laugh:

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    "Where should the line be drawn?"
    - How about 6 feet under the ground.

Animals die, decompose, and turn into fertilizer on my property all the time. Some of the deer are as big as an adult person, and they don't even get the courtesy of a burial. There are zero health concerns to neighbors.

These "public safety" concerns are simply a boogeyman to keep the government in control of your private property. Brought to you by the same a******s that require you to pay the government for permission to remodel your home. Funny how all the supposed "safety concerns" melt away when you pay the tax. :rolleyes:

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I agree with E5Ranger375. Today there are hundred of millions of people living in the United States. We loose almost 7,200 people every day (CIA). So we need some reasonable rules to follow when disposing of the dead.

That said, the town could have shown some compassion. Once they discovered this families tragic circumstances they could have offered to work with them to get at least a proper vault, made them pay the $650 fee as soon as possible, and waived the $500 per day fine. To me that would be reasonable and compassionate, fulfilling potential health needs while showing mercy.

The application of a fine is just cruel.

Regards,

Doug

1032JBT

LEO and PROUD of it.......even if others aren't
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Noblesville
    I have already explained to my wife that when I become old(er), frail, and can no longer care for myself..........the 3 S's rule applies. If she felt some compassion she could go for a box of some kind, cardboard or pine but nothing more.

Should I be concerned if she starts showing more intrest in my guns?????

And before anyone says anything about joking in a thread like this.....you will notice none of that was in purple.

Top Bottom