• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I have my eyes on a beautiful Mosin carbine at the local shop. I'm just waiting on some money coming in. The largest caliber I currently own is 7.62x39. I'm wanting a Mosin because of the larger caliber, plus is has a greater max affective range, compared to my AK. At the same time, I do not want to stock another caliber. So, now I'm debating, possibly getting rid of my Marlin 925M .22MWR rifle. I have also been considering a .223 bolt action. If I get both though, then that's two more calibers I would have to stock. If there where more options, in terms of 7.62x39 bolt action rifles. Then I would possibly consider one. Or, another option would be an SKS. Basically, I'm wanting something I can hit a Man sized target center mass, out to 200-300 yards. I really do not see me having to shoot past those yardages.

sadclownwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 97.8%
    45   1   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    NWI
    SKS with Tech Sights, over 200 yards is not a problem. you can't pick your shots, but aiming for center of mass is not a problem. My SKS will perform at the 225 yard range. Get the Tapco kit for it, and it will be a hell of a lot more accurate than your AK.

That being said, the Mosin Bug has bit me too, and i want one.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    cz makes a nice accurate bolt action 7.62 x 39 rifle. It will outshoot SKS at 200-300 yards and If they are like the 22 bolts from cz they will outshoot most 7.62 rifles period.

I don;t believe that cz rifles was all that expensive either.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    Mosins are awesome. Ammo is cheap. The cheap cost of the rifle will make up for having to stock ammo for it. Kimmi LOVES hers and can hit man size targets at 100 all day, I'm guessing she'll be fine at 200 but haven't had a chance to try it yet. That's with iron sights.

With 7.62x54 if you really get into it you can always upgrade to a Dragonov or PS-L.

nrar15

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Attica
    Go ahead an buy the Mosin. Everyone needs one it's cheap to shoot and is good out to 300yd's no problem.

Seancass

Master
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Near Whiteland, IN
    I don't see an SKS offering any real advantage over your AK. I would also be surprised if your AK is not capable of connecting at 2-300 yards if you get a little practice. A mosin is a good, cheap rifle, you should definitely get one! I don't see why you should limit yourself to a certain number of calibers. Variety is good! 7.62x54r is so cheap, you can afford to stock some.

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    Buying the Mosin would be a great choice, if you are happy with the way it is.
    If you want to later mount a scope or are unhappy with the 50+ inch length, then you will wish you bought something else and you will be selling the Mosin.
    Many people buy a Mosin...just to have one to shoot now and then.
    More than likely they will be shooting their other rifles, at the range.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I have my ammo stock down to 5 calibers, not counting my shotgun. 7.62x54 is cheap enough not to be a burden to buy, and keep on hand in large amounts. The several different Mosins I own are all pretty danged accurate, even the M44. I had an older SKS, and that thing was dead nuts accurate out to 250 yds or so,but the Mosin would have a lot more range than that. You really can't go wrong with a Mosin. Oh, and you will go through a lot more ammo than you would think, so stock up.

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    I don't see an SKS offering any real advantage over your AK. I would also be surprised if your AK is not capable of connecting at 2-300 yards if you get a little practice. A mosin is a good, cheap rifle, you should definitely get one! I don't see why you should limit yourself to a certain number of calibers. Variety is good! 7.62x54r is so cheap, you can afford to stock some.

i will disagree. My SKS is more comfortable and enjoyable to hold and to shoot than my AK. The accuracy is far superior as well. The AK has the capacity, but that's about it. ymmv

Mosins are cheap and so is the ammo. You should get one. And then get the SKS.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Honestly, i would buy a Mosin. The rifle is cheap. The ammo is cheap and comes in spam cans. If you get sick of the Mosin overall length there are aftermarket stocks and a good gunsmith or machinist could cut the barrel down for you to a more acceptable length.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus

I'm a variety man myself. The thing is though, I would rather have a few calibers. That I can stock a lot of ammo for. Rather then more calibers, with less ammo for each. That's one reason I'm looking at the Mosin is ammo is still failry cheap. So I can get plenty of trigger time. Plus, the 7.62x54 packs plenty of punch.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The next time I'm able to get to the range, I'm going to try my luck at 100 yards with my AK. I want a larger caliber, hence why I'm looking at a Mosin. The ammo is still fairly cheap, plus it has a longer max affective range. I have been looking for a nice carbine, which I have found. I like the carbine because it's lighter, and because it's easier to maneuver. The one I'm looking at has the smoothest bolt, out of all the Mosin's I have handled. The shorter barrel will produce more recoil, but it's not a big deal for me. Plus, as Cru said. If I could find a nice PS-L, I would have two rifles chambered for the same caliber. In the latest issue of Guns magazine. There was a guy that hit a 44" target with 4 consecutive shots at 1,000 yards, with a Mosin 91/30 with PSU scope.

CZ does make a model that chambers the 7.62x39. I have no experience with their rifles. Though, I have heard great things about them. In terms of price, they are on the higher end.

In terms of a rifle chambered in .223. I have narrowed it down to a Weatherby Vanguard carbine with 20" barrel. A local shop can get me one for $450. I have read great things about them online. They come with an adjustable trigger, and a accuracy guarantee from the president of the company. I have not found another rifle with similar attributes for the same price. The Remington's and Savage's I have looked at, start at around $550 and up.

I will probably by the Mosin if it's still there, by the time I get the money I'm expecting. Then, I'll just have to see what I get on my tax returns. I have also been putting back my spare change and cash. I think I have about $70-$80 so far in my safe. I do this, so it's out of sight and out of mind. Plus I do not keep a running total. That way I'm less likely to spend it.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    If atterbury was open normal days I'd bring Kimmi's mosin down. The thing about mosin bolts, they feel smooth when unloaded, but when loaded, you still have to slap them around!

2cool9031

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    NWI
    The next time I'm able to get to the range, I'm going to try my luck at 100 yards with my AK. I want a larger caliber, hence why I'm looking at a Mosin. The ammo is still fairly cheap, plus it has a longer max affective range. I have been looking for a nice carbine, which I have found. I like the carbine because it's lighter, and because it's easier to maneuver. The one I'm looking at has the smoothest bolt, out of all the Mosin's I have handled. The shorter barrel will produce more recoil, but it's not a big deal for me. Plus, as Cru said. If I could find a nice PS-L, I would have two rifles chambered for the same caliber. In the latest issue of Guns magazine. There was a guy that hit a 44" target with 4 consecutive shots at 1,000 yards, with a Mosin 91/30 with PSU scope.

CZ does make a model that chambers the 7.62x39. I have no experience with their rifles. Though, I have heard great things about them. In terms of price, they are on the higher end.

In terms of a rifle chambered in .223. I have narrowed it down to a Weatherby Vanguard carbine with 20" barrel. A local shop can get me one for $450. I have read great things about them online. They come with an adjustable trigger, and a accuracy guarantee from the president of the company. I have not found another rifle with similar attributes for the same price. The Remington's and Savage's I have looked at, start at around $550 and up.

I will probably by the Mosin if it's still there, by the time I get the money I'm expecting. Then, I'll just have to see what I get on my tax returns. I have also been putting back my spare change and cash. I think I have about $70-$80 so far in my safe. I do this, so it's out of sight and out of mind. Plus I do not keep a running total. That way I'm less likely to spend it.

Why not a Savage edge?...or the Axis, that is what they call it now.
    I have one and I think it is a great rifle. Not to mention the fact that they can be had for under $300.00

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Why not a Savage edge?...or the Axis, that is what they call it now.
    I have one and I think it is a great rifle. Not to mention the fact that they can be had for under $300.00

My Dad just picked one up recently. Have not had a chance to shoot it. Seems like a good rifle, but I want an adjustable trigger, if I go that direction. I have gotten so used to shooting my Savage .22.

Top Bottom