• ...and so much more!
  • 4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Tornado-Safe Room-Gun Depository

The time has come to end my procrastination and start construction of our Tornado-Safe Room-Gun Depository. Living in the boonies, we need a safe place during violent storms. I finally have the wife's approval ;) to start construction in the basement. Ideas, do's, don'ts, help - all are appreciated.

Thanks

BulletSponge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Indy.
    Make sure the door opens inwards so you can't be trapped if something "a large chunk of your house" falls in front of the door. Make the top the strongest part of your bunker so it can hold up anything, including a car. Just something to think about.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    dont forget the signage

610x.jpg

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    When we move, it will be into a house that I build. I plan on putting a tornado shelter/gun room in the basement, so I've thought a lot about this. I want the room to have a storm shelter door leading to the outside (heavily reinforced and locked from the inside), and I would build the room off the side of my basement, but not under the house itself. That way, if the house is flattened, I'm not under it, so I'll have a way out.

Here's another thought. If it's not a hobby, get a HAM license, and put a shortwave set in the room. Run an antenna out the top in a PVC pipe so that you have reception. That way you can always call for help if you need to.

Ogre

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I have thought of buying A mid sized shipping container (like you see on cargo ships or mounted on semi trailers) used (fairly cheap 2-3K$ or less) and burrying it beside my house and put a whole in my basement wall to access it. I don't have all the particulars worked out, but it seems like it would be a cheap alternative. Maybe put a protective heavy coating, of some sort, on it to keep corrosion to a minimum...

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Building a "safe room" (in the sense of shelter from hostiles) or safe gun depository is a fairly simple proposition. Sturdy framing, adequate impact resistant sheathing, a solid door w/good locks, and your good to go.

However, for proper tornado protection, there are detailed specifications depending on the type of construction you choose. For example, if you frame a room in the basement, the framed walls and ceiling must be separate/isolated from the rest of the house. Otherwise if/when the rest of the house goes it will pull your room apart as well. The size of your room must also be limited because the surface area of the walls increases wind loading. Etc. All the fasteners and framing are spec'ed to withstand tornado forces. And the specs are different for concrete/block construction.

There are a ton of variables here; type of construction (concrete, block, wood frame, etc.), size needs (how many people, how much stuff, etc.), functional needs (safe storage/occupancy, tornado, nuclear, etc.).

My own conclusion on this (for my own goals) is to build a larger room to saferoom/gun storage specs, and a smaller enclosure inside that room for tornado, etc. Building something the size I want to the most demanding specification is prohibitively difficult/expensive, but when broken into component modules, it becomes manageable.

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Some research I've done on this topic. A lot of good info here, and should give you some food for thought.

Storm Shelters, Tornado Shelters, Hurricane Shelters & Safe Rooms
    Storm Shelters and Tornado Shelters by FlatSafe, In-Home Storm and Tornado Shelter
    The Storm Shield Fiberglass Tornado Shelter
    Storm Shelters
    Shelter Comparison Page

Eventually, I would like to build a concrete add-on room, with a sub-basement to serve as a tornado shelter. The room would serve as a master bath, dressing room, safe area, with an access hatch and stairs to the sub-level shelter. Currently the house only has a crawl space.

Last edited:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    You could use that FlatSafe product as a service pit to change the oil in your car too! ;)

4sarge, are you interested in having a product installed or doing it yourself?

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    You could use that FlatSafe product as a service pit to change the oil in your car too! ;)

4sarge, are you interested in having a product installed or doing it yourself?

I've finished mine. The Vault Safe door that I found used didn't work (weight & size) out so I improvised ;)

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I've finished mine.

Hey, good for you! I didn't know you were that far along, but now that I go back and look at the first post I guess it was over a month ago.

Would you care to share the details of the construction you settled on, tips, suggestions, etc?

I've been in the researching, thinking, planning stage for a while, but hope to have it done this summer.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    Hey, good for you! I didn't know you were that far along, but now that I go back and look at the first post I guess it was over a month ago.

Would you care to share the details of the construction you settled on, tips, suggestions, etc?

I've been in the researching, thinking, planning stage for a while, but hope to have it done this summer.

I ordered the FEMA handbook for constructing Tornado proof shelters and pretty much followed their recommendations for the basement construction. Two walls are poured 8" concrete and the other 2 are 8" stick reinforced construction. I had to sacrifice height, 7' ceiling

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    I have the PDF file(s) for that (and the CAD drawings). Does the book include anything that's not in the electronic version (other than actually physically being on paper)?

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    I have the PDF file(s) for that (and the CAD drawings). Does the book include anything that's not in the electronic version (other than actually physically being on paper)?

It seems that when I ordered mine the diagrams were not available on line. I had to call to order it but there was a distinct difference

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    I don't think you would go wrong with just what's available online.

Those plans told me enough to know what's needed. And they should tell any contractor, and/or architect what they need to know.

Top Bottom