• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Why doesn't some OCer answer the question: If you were selling your home, would it bother you if neighbor(s) were OCing pistols, shotguns, rifles while prospective buyers were outside and could see this person(s) OCing? It seems no OCer on this thread wants to answer.

Because the question seemed to be rhetorical in that the answer was obvious. Nope. Wouldn't bother me at all. The potential buyers who would be bothered by someone OC'ing would also be bothered by the gun cabinet. Six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Now, of course, you're likely to "escalate" to someone doing far more than just "OC" and ask if that would bother me. That argument only works if one takes an absolutist "all or nothing" position--which I rarely do.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Now, of course, you're likely to "escalate" to someone doing far more than just "OC" and ask if that would bother me. That argument only works if one takes an absolutist "all or nothing" position--which I rarely do.

So if your neighbor was out back cutting wood with an AK-47, no issues? Sorry, just had to escalate!!

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    It may not bother me, but man, would that take forever, cutting wood with an AK. I'd prefer to use a chainsaw or maybe an axe, but to each his own.

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    So if your neighbor was out back cutting wood with an AK-47, no issues? Sorry, just had to escalate!!

A little more extreme than the usual escalations given when someone says "nope, wouldn't have a problem with it" but in the same vein.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus

Nah, I'd be against that....... horrible waste of ammo. Have you seen the prices lately?!?

People need to get their collective noses out of other peoples rights. :twocents:

Most of us are issued .40's though ;)

And, it could be that Indy has lots of practice doing stuff one-handed. Just sayin'...

HEY-OH

45310158-01074158.jpg

Last edited:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Why doesn't some OCer answer the question: If you were selling your home, would it bother you if neighbor(s) were OCing pistols, shotguns, rifles while prospective buyers were outside and could see this person(s) OCing? It seems no OCer on this thread wants to answer.

Sorry. I had no idea it was a serious question or that you desired an answer. No, of course it wouldn't bother me... escalate away!

You claim you got some responses to the contrary in some other thread. If so, just deal with them there. Why the need to troll it through this one? :scratch:

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Sorry. I had no idea it was a serious question or that you desired an answer. No, of course it wouldn't bother me... escalate away!

You claim you got some responses to the contrary in some other thread. If so, just deal with them there. Why the need to troll it through this one? :scratch:

Actually, in another thread he made the argument about someone carrying a gun in hand and got responses (mine included) that such a case was a legitimate cause for concern.

Unfortunately he apparently fails to see the difference between OC of a holstered pistol and one carried in hand and is attempting to claim that the arguments supporting OC require one to support carrying in hand if one is to be "consistent."

It fails on several grounds

Let's just look at Tactical advantage.
    Get a two pound dumbbell. Carry it all day, every day in your primary hand. Look at how many times you have to put it down. If something were to happen during one of those times when one had put it down--or had to switch hands--you've got a moment's thinking or fumbling to get lined up. With a gun holstered it's always in the same location so you can train to retrieve it automatically without conscious thought.

And by the end of the day carrying that two pound weight are you even able to lift it, let alone shoot it?

That should pretty much put paid to any question of whether carrying a gun in ones hand routinely (as opposed to in anticipation of immediate need) is not an overall "tactical advantage" over carrying holstered.

sjstill

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indy (west)

Like a dog with a bone. :rolleyes: Only a dog has enough sense to drop the bone after a while and move on to something else.

No, it would not bother me.

Happy now?

What's your hard-on for folks that OC? Was yer mama scared by a man with a gun at some point in your embryonic life stage? :n00b:

Dare we hope for a straight answer? Or will we get something that resembles a memo from the DNC? :popcorn:

Chow40cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Olympia
    +1 to ihateiraq

I smell a poser..... i was an MP... anyone with an "MP" badge was a joke..... Anyone that has gone through lost in the woods knows that the 1st week of basic they harp on you to not go try and buy a badge and be captain america

i reclassed to mp in sep 04. a grand total of 0 of us were issued badges. on ad i never saw mps displaying badges. a brassard was as far as it went. as far as i know, CID are the only ones who use badges officially. regardless of the badge issue, as a military policeman you have 0 authority in the civilian world. thanks for the education though. :noway:

Speaking from direct experience, some actually policed the base, and the areas surrounding. Typical rounds included donning said badge and patrolling the local strip clubs and bars for disorderly and/or underage military personnel.

I'm sure, however, that your experience speaks for all MPs, and there isn't a soul out there who was required to actually perform their MOS.

While its true that you can go and buy badges, neat little velcros that say "MP," and other cool little toys...there are many servicemen and servicewomen who are charged with policing their own. It would be nice to sit on post details all the time, or to sham through b.s. training day to day, but the profession exists in the form of an MOS because there is obviously a need for MILITARY POLICE. I think they named that occupation fairly clearly.

At this point we're splitting hairs though, some have to actually police, others don't. It's as though I'm saying that some civilian officers sit behind a desk, and you are saying that they all are out on patrol, and don't ever have desk duties.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    Speaking from direct experience, some actually policed the base, and the areas surrounding. Typical rounds included donning said badge and patrolling the local strip clubs and bars for disorderly and/or underage military personnel.

if youre saying saying that to rebut my comment about authority in the civilian world, it doesnt. youre only there to deal with military personnel.

I'm sure, however, that your experience speaks for all MPs, and there isn't a soul out there who was required to actually perform their MOS.

While its true that you can go and buy badges, neat little velcros that say "MP," and other cool little toys...there are many servicemen and servicewomen who are charged with policing their own. It would be nice to sit on post details all the time, or to sham through b.s. training day to day, but the profession exists in the form of an MOS because there is obviously a need for MILITARY POLICE. I think they named that occupation fairly clearly.

At this point we're splitting hairs though, some have to actually police, others don't. It's as though I'm saying that some civilian officers sit behind a desk, and you are saying that they all are out on patrol, and don't ever have desk duties.

im not really sure what any of this is supposed to mean.

ill admit, the only time ive been on active duty as an mp was in iraq, and badges are moot there. however i was an infantryman on ft bragg, and i dealt with the garrison mps you referenced on plenty of occasions. i never saw an MP use a badge for anything. but w/e.

Chow40cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Olympia
    ill admit, the only time ive been on active duty as an mp was in iraq, and badges are moot there. however i was an infantryman on ft bragg, and i dealt with the garrison mps you referenced on plenty of occasions. i never saw an MP use a badge for anything. but w/e.

Perhaps it's one of those things that changes from base to base then, and from unit to unit. I suppose there are plenty of other things that they do that with, this may be one of them.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    Like a dog with a bone. :rolleyes: Only a dog has enough sense to drop the bone after a while and move on to something else.

No, it would not bother me.

Happy now?

What's your hard-on for folks that OC? Was yer mama scared by a man with a gun at some point in your embryonic life stage? :n00b:

Dare we hope for a straight answer? Or will we get something that resembles a memo from the DNC? :popcorn:
    Sounds like he wants OC'ers to get shot to me:
    "The way I look at it, if more folks OCed, that would make my house less of a target for burglars. Burglars have already admitted they drive around on trash days looking for boxes sitting out showing a new purchase of a computer, flat screen TV, etc.. If we could get just 5% of the population to OC, burglars would just case out public areas and follow OCers to their home to find their next target. Who cares about getting public access to carry license records when you can just sit outside Walmart and find victims that way!! If 5% of the population OCed, it would be like shooting fish in a barrel."

Chow40cal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Olympia
    could be. the army is a weird, wild place.

Right! I've heard all sorts of crazy stuff that other posts or units allowed or wouldn't allow. One guy said they couldn't travel over 100 miles without command approval, while we could go 250. They have crazy restrictions from time to time, certain places are "off-limits," but the barber shop with happy endings is considered fine...oh well, as a fellow soldier, thank you for your service. Its gets to sounding routine, but I'd give my life for the guy next to me, and still would today for the guys I deployed with.

birdhunter55

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2009
    Clarksburg, Indiana

It would not bother me at all! I personally believe that one of the biggest mistakes most of us gun owners make in this modern time is tryiing to HIDE our guns. I have posted before, that I remember back in the day it being a common sight to see someone in their side yard (obviously in the country setting) out shooting starlings or other pest birds. You just don't see that today and that is why the sheeple are afraid of guns. All of us that are in a location where we can legally do it should be seen shooting cans, paper targets, birds or whatever at least once or twice a week. I am proud to be a shooter and don't care who knows it! As for a neighbor doing the same, I would welcome that as well. It would be good to know that I was surrounded by like minded individuals.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    Sounds like he wants OC'ers to get shot to me:
    "The way I look at it, if more folks OCed, that would make my house less of a target for burglars. Burglars have already admitted they drive around on trash days looking for boxes sitting out showing a new purchase of a computer, flat screen TV, etc.. If we could get just 5% of the population to OC, burglars would just case out public areas and follow OCers to their home to find their next target. Who cares about getting public access to carry license records when you can just sit outside Walmart and find victims that way!! If 5% of the population OCed, it would be like shooting fish in a barrel."

I don't want anyone to get shot. However, if OCers are going to OC in public, they have to be ready for not only positive, but negative consequences as well. Just because we don't have a case yet of an OCer getting shot for their gun, doesn't mean it can't/won't happen. We have verified reports of people getting shot over shoes, yes shoes. Why should we expect any difference from a $400+ firearm?

Actually, in another thread he made the argument about someone carrying a gun in hand and got responses (mine included) that such a case was a legitimate cause for concern.

Unfortunately he apparently fails to see the difference between OC of a holstered pistol and one carried in hand and is attempting to claim that the arguments supporting OC require one to support carrying in hand if one is to be "consistent."

It fails on several grounds

Let's just look at Tactical advantage.
    Get a two pound dumbbell. Carry it all day, every day in your primary hand. Look at how many times you have to put it down. If something were to happen during one of those times when one had put it down--or had to switch hands--you've got a moment's thinking or fumbling to get lined up. With a gun holstered it's always in the same location so you can train to retrieve it automatically without conscious thought.

And by the end of the day carrying that two pound weight are you even able to lift it, let alone shoot it?

Don't make it a pistol, make it a slung AK/AR. Surely you are OK with people doing their Walmart or Target shopping with an AK/AR slung over their body?

.fourfive

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2010
    bloomington, IN
    The same thing happened to me at toys-r-us in greenwood. I had it concealed but you could see the last inch of the barrel sticking out of my shirt. The lady told me multiple people had complained and then left. I told her i would leave but i would never return and iwould spread the word that toys r us infringes upon my rights as an american. then i think i called them all como pinky fags on my way outl.

Top Bottom