• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kingpin75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    greencastle
    We live in a lake community with a POA. They have a Putnam County Sherriff's deputy for security. When I got home, I was getting out of my car, he pulled up beside me to talk about my truck not being registered. Then he noticed my firearm on my side. He told me I needed to "semi-conceal" it.
    I asked him if that was per the POA and he said no that it is state law to which i immediately replied "no it isn't!"
    He then said he could get his supervisor out and he could tell me. i said ok, let's do that. He got his supervisor on the phone instead. the supervisor asked me what was going on, so i told him what the deputy said. the supervisor told me the deputy was right. I told him that I would go print the I.C. for his deputy. He then told me to print it and we'd take care of it in court. I said ok, that's fine with me, thinking ok here's the part where I get arrested. Then i hear silence. He hung up on me?
    I handed the deputy his phone back and said he hung up. He told me he didn't hang up, that his phone has been messing up. after that I told the deputy he should go to handgunlaw.us because he wouldn't see in the I.C. where it says you cannot open carry. he said he'll check it out and get back with me tomorrow. after going around greencastle all day OCing, even getting complimented at o'reilly auto parts on the right way to carry, I get two feet from my house and get hassled? lol

Scout103

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 29, 2012
    It's crazy how many of these types of events we hear about on here. If these LEO's don't know carry laws in there own state, how do they carry off duty?!? You have to wonder.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    You would think that being familiar with the handgun laws would be a prerequisite for LEOs. Amazingly, it most definitely is not, as so many stories like yours reveal. Good job for opening his eyes to reality.

BTW, what is POA?

Last edited:

Smokepole

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2011
    Southern Hamilton County
    That could be one where you have the cop look at your LTCH and ask him where it states that one must CC. Kinda make you want to have a copy of the IC handy in the vehicle for just such times. :D

kingpin75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    greencastle
    To be honest, I'm not mad at the deputy, he was willing to look up the law. He even got his own LTCH out and looked for "concealed carry". His supervisor was the one that got all cocky about it. If we hadn't been disconnected, I would probably be in Putnam county jail.

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    Had you ended up in the jail I think a call to Guy Relford would've been the next stop. He would have had a field day with that one and would've eaten that police department for lunch.

I agree with another poster, though, it might be useful to start carrying a copy of the IC or an immediate way to reference it on a smartphone or something else to prove to the cops that they are wrong and to back off immediately.

jath08

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2012
    Greencastle, IN
    Dont worry I know exactly where your coming from. I live in the same "lake" community as well with the HLPOA. There all a bunch of ding bats if you ask me. I had a few run ins with the "security" person before. The last time was when she stopped my 13 year old daughter in our driveway around 9 at night helping get groceries out of the van. She pulled her cruiser in the drive and shined the spot light on her and asked (very loudly) what she was doing getting into our van and then proceeded to tell her to drop everything and step back from the vehicle with her hands on her head. By that time I was out the front door saying a few choice words to the "security" person. The dumb@## thought she was breaking into it carrying a bag of groceries and a jug of milk. It used to be a woman that did the rounds until she got jumped by three guys last year, beat up and her duty pistol stolen off her side. The sherrifs out here arent the brightest ones Ive met.

Vince49

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2010
    Indy urban west.
    Oh really?

I happen to know for a fact that your former Sheriff and current Chief Deputy knows what the IC for carry is. I will speak with him tomorrow as I know he will be interested in hearing about this and I am quite sure he will see that the troops are brought up to date. :rolleyes: :)

Boonl1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Indy
    Step back a bit and re-think about what your association is doing. I live on a private lake community also and we never, never, never invite or allow the Sheriff or DNR here. It is private property. We keep it that way.

kingpin75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    greencastle
    Dont worry I know exactly where your coming from. I live in the same "lake" community as well with the HLPOA. There all a bunch of ding bats if you ask me. I had a few run ins with the "security" person before. The last time was when she stopped my 13 year old daughter in our driveway around 9 at night helping get groceries out of the van. She pulled her cruiser in the drive and shined the spot light on her and asked (very loudly) what she was doing getting into our van and then proceeded to tell her to drop everything and step back from the vehicle with her hands on her head. By that time I was out the front door saying a few choice words to the "security" person. The dumb@## thought she was breaking into it carrying a bag of groceries and a jug of milk. It used to be a woman that did the rounds until she got jumped by three guys last year, beat up and her duty pistol stolen off her side. The sherrifs out here arent the brightest ones Ive met.
    WOW! We're in VBL. We just got a new security/deputy. The last one was a retired state trooper and actually KNEW the law.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Just out of curiosity, how would you have printed out the IC where it says OC isn't illegal? I know you can print out the entirety of IC35.47 and hope that they'll stand by the side of the road and read the pages and pages of it with you, but there are other places in the IC where it could have been (yes, I know it's not anywhere in there, but that's not my point).

kingpin75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    greencastle
    Just out of curiosity, how would you have printed out the IC where it says OC isn't illegal? I know you can print out the entirety of IC35.47 and hope that they'll stand by the side of the road and read the pages and pages of it with you, but there are other places in the IC where it could have been (yes, I know it's not anywhere in there, but that's not my point).
    Good point. I was meaning the FAQ section on in.gov, bu I was kind of nervous at the time.

kingpin75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2011
    greencastle
    I happen to know for a fact that your former Sheriff and current Chief Deputy knows what the IC for carry is. I will speak with him tomorrow as I know he will be interested in hearing about this and I am quite sure he will see that the troops are brought up to date. :rolleyes: :)
    I plan on going to file a complaint Tuesday myself.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    Next time you should ask to see his picture ID (and not his badge), and ask where he got his training on firearms law? I'm thinking these guys go to Illinois, given their obsession with CC.

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville

Just have him read your LTCH which does not specify method of carry.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Just have him read your LTCH which does not specify method of carry.

The text of the LTCH doesn't specify a lot of things which are codified in the statutes. I certainly wouldn't use it to support my position on the legality of carry methods or locations. The only thing I would use are the statutes themselves.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    To the OP... When supervisor and moonlighting copper figure which way is up and realize that they are WRONG....be sure to request them to apologize in writing and you will be satisfied. :D They get stupid....you get stupid and march your arse to Internal Affairs OR A lawyers office!

It wont stop if "they" dont get their hands smacked at the very least. :patriot:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Bengineer
    Top Bottom