• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Mrs Longbow is doing better, smiled for a little while but is dealing with more pain and nausea than we expected. The bruising and swelling have about peaked and each day should get better. She won't be able to have solid food for at least another week.

I've actually got another part written, I just need to proof it............as best I can.........

ZS84

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Columbus
    Mrs Longbow is doing better, smiled for a little while but is dealing with more pain and nausea than we expected. The bruising and swelling have about peaked and each day should get better. She won't be able to have solid food for at least another week.

I've actually got another part written, I just need to proof it............as best I can.........

Take your time sir

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    Copyright, Longbow Entertainment a Division of Upland Hills

Timing is everything. The new kids on the block actually have skills we can use and we need it now!

Matt, the oldest of the three, is a dental student, one semester from graduation. Not a fully trained dentist, but we can’t complain right now. The other two are Markus, a union pipe fitter in training and Patty a high school senior, cheerleader and volunteer at the local nursing home.

Two in our group have serious teeth issues and Matt is going to do the extractions. He said the teeth are abscessed and the extractions will be nasty without a local. He says they are going to need to be liquored up to make the process go smoothly. He showed his extraction tools, and on the surface they looked like pliers, but then again they are very different.

After the test subjects were liquored up, the extractions were started. The kitchen was converted to be a dental office for the happy occasion. The first tooth came out easily with no significant effort. Did it hurt, yes, but nothing a little booze couldn’t take off the edge for her. It was in such bad shape, it just needed a skilled hand to remove it.

The second tooth was a different story. After a few glasses of wine, John was ready. The extraction tool did too good of a job. The tooth fractured, exposing the infection to air and within a few minutes the entire kitchen and soon the house smelled of death. John threw up and that only made it worse. Now the kitchen smelled of digested wine, vomit and the horrible infection smell from the abscessed tooth. Opening the doors helped get rid of the smell, but the best choice was to leave the house.

Matt was able to pull most of the tooth. The bottom of the third root of the tooth was beyond his tools and could only be removed by an oral surgeon. We joked that there is most likely none left in the area. He left it to work itself out or the body would just deal wit it. He thinks John’s mouth will heal, and thankfully we have antibiotics to help reduce the chance of infection for the two dental patients. Both were lucky, never again will anyone ignore tooth pains.

To earn his stay, he gave exams to the rest of us, and nothing significant was discovered. After the events of the day, oral hygiene took a jump to the front of the line of everyone’s daily routine. We had joked we would use a pliers to pull a tooth, but learned today were wrong. Our plans should have included purchasing three or four dental extraction tools. After seeing how the extraction tools work, we were stupid to think we could remove a tooth with a plier.

Three days passed and the weather warmed up enough, with the help of several showers to melt the remaining ice from the last storm. The fog rolled down from the hill like a bad sci-fi movie. The great freeze and the ice storm left the ground covered with shattered parts of limbs and branches. Kindling will be easy to find for months on end.

The run off from the rain and melting ice washed away any sticks or branches near the overflowing streams and creeks. Every underpass, small bridge or drain pipe are clogged with this debris. The instant dams added to the flooding of the low lands and the pressure of the backed up water, washed away culverts and the edges of the roads. The roar of the fast moving water was unexpected.

Several easy routes to the southern and eastern neighbors now had ruts or washouts that prevented any use of vehicles, until they were repaired. The water was moving too fast to try to unblock the dams, and we decided to wait it out. Two of the kids almost got washed away in the cold water trying to open up a 2 foot wide culvert. The water was unpredictable and dangerous. The adults called it a day, and after counting noses, everyone was accounted for at the homestead.

Several turn towards the west, at the thunder was booming. “More rains and more flooding “several in the group said as they walked back up the drive. The ground was saturated, a downpour or steady rain would be no worse than a dam breaking and washing out everything below it.

“The earth is being renewed” said the preacher on the FRS when he gave his evening report. “The flood water is halfway up the driveway. A few clicks later from our end, and he knew the message was received.

Both OP’s were flooded by dark and everyone took shift on the front porch and the rear of the house to keep an eye on things. Nothing but steady rain and the roar of the water was happening outside.

7 inches of rain fell, and by morning the lowlands were flooded and formed new lakes. The heavy rain covered most of the state and rivers were setting new flood records, if anyone had the time to notice. More debris piled up and the highway bridges and the water slowing ate away at the foundations of the bridges. Several were undamaged, but others failed or had the approaches wash away. Every town or city along the rivers were washed clean of all the trash left behind from the disasters. The debris filled in the holes on the branch and limb dams that were still forming. Diverted waters rushed across farm fields and washed away top soil. Rail lines served as levies against the flood, but did not last. Later in the day, just the rails remained along long section of the railroad lines. A few railroad bridges remained in other places, but the grounds around them were scoured clean as the water rushed around the newly formed dams.

Two days later the rains stopped. The five inch rain gauge was emptied three times before the sky cleared and it is obvious we had more than 15 inches of rain. 10 days after that, the waters had receded, and the extent of the damage shocked everyone. Bridges and entire sections of roads had just vanished. The streams and rivers had cut new paths where the dams formed and sediment had already filled in many of old river ways. When four of the adults came back from checking out the town, they talked about the extent of the damage and how isolated we are. The road was washed out at 24 different sections on the way into town. The worst is a 25 foot deep ravine that took out a major section of the road, but the bridge next to it is just fine.

A nameless child shouted down from the loft some words that gave us a new view on the events of the last few weeks. “We are safer now than we have ever been. No one will have an easy time to come out our way.”
    There is safety in isolation!

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    Great update; I too could actually visualize the story. Prayers to Mrs Longbow. Keep INGO in mind when you publish!

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN

50 degrees!

The sky is clear with just a high level haze. A tint of green is showing up in spots, replacing the gray and browns that have been the background colors for months. Not bad for July, but it feels like March.

A trip to town that took 20 minutes in a car before the disaster, now it takes two days on foot. Three weeks ago is was three days, but everyone has helped fill in the biggest of the washouts. John thinks by the end of the month, most of the path will be filled in. The backhoe from hell moves from washout to wash out to fill them in, but that won’t last for long. As it stands right now, diesel for it will run out in a day or two of work. The new ravine by the bridge is going to left as it is. That is the new choke point to keep vehicles or large groups from reaching us. A zip line was rigged over the gap and it is the high point of the trip into town.

Salvage work continues, the list grows, but the returns are diminished because the trip is too exhausting with the roads still being a mess. The unlucky ones get picked to haul diesel back from the town. The last remaining 5 gallon jerry can is a killer to transport back.

The health of the group is the best ever. Weeks of road crew work, and the food situation has created lean and mean adults. Mean in the sense of angry. A few fights over who does the most work happen almost daily, but the disagreements only last about a minute or two. No actual blows have fallen between workers. The dirt and rocks still are taking the blunt of the anger, and for that we are thankful.

Clearing the culverts and bridges of sticks and limbs is the highlight of our day. They are so tightly packed together, that the only fix was to set them on fire. A few sparks with a ferro rod and striker and the debris quickly lights. Within 30 minutes, most of the “dam” is ashes and the next time the heavy rains hit, the water will flow the right way. Most of the bridges and culverts in the county are concrete so they don’t have enough time to get too hot to damage the bridge. Not like it matters, a semi-truck will not be traveling any of these roads for a long time.

“Need any help” shouted a man and his family from the bluff that overlooks our latest project. “For the last 4 days we have been watching you all trying to decide if you are good or evil. My wife and I decided you were not evil and thought we’d introduce ourselves. Don’t try anything funny, my son is beihind this log with a few grenades to toss down on you if we guessed wrong.” A small hand rose above the log long enough to show everyone that he in fact had a grenade and it did not look like those customer service gag grenades the surplus stores sell.

“Come on down” said one of the ladies working the shovel ready project. “Like we have a choice” came from another in the ditch. Other than a kid with a lap full of grenades, the introduction went smoothly. 4 clicks on the FRS radio sent the warning to the two other groups to alert.

Peter Brimner introduced his wife Katharina and his daughter Lori to the group. His son Stuart said hello from about 70 feet away. Everyone wanted him to remain calm. Carrie said she needs to send another message to the others so that they don’t come rushing to rescue the group. Peter understood and nodded. She picked up the FRS radio and gave the stand down word to relax the others. “Martin” is all she said on the radio and two other voices responded “Nitram” within a minute. She had already told Peter and Katharina how they would respond, and that meant they are undoing the rescue mission.

Five minutes of small talk and the FRS toned in again. The same tone was returned and the two rescue groups finally did stand down.

Stuart asked if he can come down and his father said yes, and make sure the grenades are in the pouches before you climb down the hill. That is a conversation I have yet to have with any of my children, but who knows what the future holds. The 14 year old boy was down in a flash and the adults eyed him with caution. He smiled and said he only has four grenades.

They did most of the talking at first. The question that was asked of them was how did you survive?

“Caves” they said as one! “This area is covered with them and with just a little digging and selective use of explosives, they are easy to find”

“Five years ago, we purchased 200 acres from the lumber company and we had built a weekend cabin back at the end of the gravel road a half mile back. It sits back on the hill looking down at the creek and the woods. After one of the heavy rains a few years prior, we heard a sound like a running faucet underground and narrowed down the location of the sound. A 10 foot pipe, with a pinhole camera and cheap LED flashlight taped at the end, and about an hour of swearing we found out our hill had a cavern we could stand up in. The problem was the opening was only about 5 to 10 inches wide. The next weekend a two foot diameter hydraulic boring machine was rented and my brothers and I spent the weekend enlarging the opening.”

By Sunday afternoon, we were in and had shoved in a metal pipe that we could use to safely enter the cavern. The three of us decided that day; this would be the family retreat center. My other two brothers pitched in money and labor to make the cavern our man cave.

I asked him what happened to his brothers and their families. “They never made it out of Chicago and to this day, I don’t know what happened to them. They called and said they were leaving together and the roads were fine. Then I couldn’t reach them on the cell phone. We’ve done our best not to touch the gear they staged and have only eaten the foods that were going to expire that they stored,” , said Peter with a frog in his throat.

Last edited:

sbsg2005

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2011
    Mr. Longbow I hope your wife's health is as good as this story is. Been keeping you two in my thoughts.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Longbow, this has been a most entertaining and thought-provoking tale. It truly takes talent to accomplish both at the same time. I read all the installments other than the one you just posted last night. By the time I finished, I had been automatically logged out and was tired enough I gave in to the desire to simply turn off the computer and go to bed rather than logging back in. That did not stop me from praying for both you and your wife (which takes far less manual dexterity than hitting correct keys!). I have no question that the Lord will provide the right blessing at the right time, and that peace, tranquility, joy, and laughter will fill your home.

Have a good night!

Dave

longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN

A tarp covered pile of boxes greeted us when we made a call on the Southern neighbors. It took two days to fill in the road gaps so we could drive the box truck down to them. It was time to get a few more cases of TVP! They knew we were coming and we didn’t expect the supplies to be waiting for us down by the gate

No one was walking down to greet us and within seconds everyone in the truck had a racing heartbeat. Thoughts like ambush, and sniper shots through my head. That worry faded just as fast as I dreamed it up. They were waiving up by the house and kept shouting “read the note”.

Taped to the tarp was a note written on the back of JC Penny envelope. “Sorry for not meeting you all at the gate. We have implemented quarantine with the birth of the third child. Tami Fay is doing great and she was 9lbs 4 oz. Mom and Dad are doing well.

No contact within 200 feet between outsiders for the remainder of this month. We voted last night, and this is best for the health of the newborns. The Brimner family is a great addition to the group, but until we know more about how new members will affect the bigger group, we have to be concerned for the babies. No vaccines are available and with the Brinmers being new to the community, concerns over communicable diseases jumps to the front of the line. In a few weeks, this will pass, but until them, please understand our concerns. We hope none of you are offended.”

Everyone gave the thumbs up sign, loaded the truck and headed back home. “Looks like we have some protective parents and I’m not sure how the Brimner’s will take the news”, I said as I drove the rental truck back. In the back of my head, I wondered if the rental company will ever contact me to get their truck back. It is a safe bet; the place it was rented from has been looted or burned by now.

We drove up the driveway and noticed John talking to two people standing next to a Bell Jet Ranger sitting in my pasture. The rotors were not moving and everything looked casual. The tarps were off the Russian Space Capsule and it was pretty obvious why they showed up. They all must have been expecting us because they hardly reacted as we stopped to join the conversation. John introduced our visitors and they said they had flown over from Dayton, Ohio. A third man crawled out of the space capsule with two brief cases that looked heavy; by the way he carried them to the helicopter. They already knew the astronauts had a space baby, and understood why they had no interest in leaving. The crew had come to retrieve the electronics and data to for future study. The gear took up more space than they had planned and had to make room in the helicopter. John picked up two M4’s, two full ammo cans, a case of MRE’s and an EMT like kit. A request for vaccines for the newborns was requested as a favor for taking care of the astronauts and safe keeping of the capsule. Heads nodded and they said they won’t be back for at least a week with a bigger helicopter to get the capsule. Promises of more than just vaccines were hinted and they handed me a box for the astronauts. The pilot applogized for the lack of ceremony for them, but they will understand. That will happen in due time. Rebuilding the country comes first.

The crew did a pre-flight on the helicopter, started it up and within 5 minutes they were gone. The flight back to Dayton was nothing special, but the confirmation that the Astronauts were alive had reached the President before they had it back in the hanger. The thought of a space baby, put a smile on his face, it was the only good news of the day. His experts had just told him, less than 3,000,000 people were left in the USA. Raw data was showing that the great die off was worse than expected and maybe, 1% of the population on the Earth is still alive.

The President still could not believe he was looking at the California Coast around San Francisco. The earthquakes that followed the tsunamis had reshaped the west coast in less than 3 minutes. The joke was that the west coast would fall off into the ocean. What really happened was everything surged up at least 50 feet and moved 50 to 100 feet in a different direction, depending on what fault line did the moving. The Golden Gate Bridge is no more, but the footing and what is left of the eastern most support column is 60 feet above the water. The other support column is on its side on the new bluff overlooking the fjords that dot the coastline for hundreds of miles in either direction.
    - - - - -

Carrie said to me, “I’ve done some research on our new group members. They appeared genuine, but I had to make sure they could be trusted. I found their place on Mailman Mike’s map. Three big green spots were at the property map. Looks like Mike thought all the brothers were living at the place. We have one less thing to worry about with them based on what Mike felt.”

“What about the other green spots? Anyone within 10 miles of us?” I said as I blew out the candle.

“Two green and five red spots are within a day’s walk. The green locations can wait, I’m more concerned about the red spots, and they could already be watching us.

“I doubt any of the reds made it through the winter, but we have to make sure they are not a threat.

Both of us crashed for the evening. In the morning, the rest of our group will be briefed in the plan to see if any of the known threats are still around.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom