To the person that shot themselves at the 1500..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • armcclure

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    So.... how's the hand doing? :yesway: :noway:

You're so clever! I award you one internetz.

And for those saying there are no accidental shootings; bull.
    A slam-fire (as previously mentioned) is an accident. Even if you are fully aware, expecting it to happen, pointed into a safe backstop...
    It's still accidental. No negligence required.

btwelch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloody hell! How hard is it to NOT accidentally shoot yourself!? Face palm. As someone previously mentioned the media is going to pounce all over this.

At least the guy wasn't face palming when he shot himself in the hand! ...or would he get a Darwin award for that?

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    You do not have to be careless or negligent for a gun to discharge. **** happens, even when you're being careful. Guns can, and do, discharge when you take them out and futz around with them. Doesn't matter who you are. As Kirk is fond of saying, "Eez gon. Eez not safe". The 1500 requires people to take their firearms out of a nice safe holster and unload them in areas without barrels or other safety barriers, thus increasing the odds of a discharge and someone getting hurt. Leave the guns alone and they'll be just fine.

You're right and you're wrong. "Eez not safe" that's why the rule is you never point your gun at something you are not willing to destroy. Like your hand for instance. That is the careless part.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Googled Emory Cozee. Found a 1976 graduate of Northwest HS. That would make him about 54 - good chance it's the same guy. Looks like there were very few internet references to him until yesterday; now he's an internet sensation.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    I don't understand the "Us vs Them" attitude that people have on this forum toward law enforcement... We have plenty of great LEO's here, and I would hate for the constant hostility to drive them away. There's thread after thread saying "oh I hate that a gun owner did something that misrepresents our culture, I'd hate for all of us to be judged by the bad ones," and yet that's exactly what some people do here toward law enforcement.

You must be confused. The "us vs them" mentality is only perpetuated by those in LE. It's perfectly acceptable to utilize the same ignorant & flawed mindset of the Anti's as long as it's used against LE.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    :yesway:
    Which IS the mode I carry.....Thing's design'd ta carry that way.
    In the post,I'm talk'n about the Mustang .380......since it don't have the add'd safety feature of the backstrap safety......when I DO let the hammer down on a piped round.....the only SAFE way to DO that on these......is just how I x'plain'd it......I'm open for pointers.....:):

Like I said......if I had a dollar for ever time I've let the hammer(s) down on these things......I'd be rich dude t'day.....:cool:

That is not safe, plain and simple. Don't care how rich you would be for every time you've done it, it's a bad idea.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    We need to find a way to educate those that don't want to be educated. Those that have gotten away with dangerous behavior for years. Often those who were "raised with guns" and, or "taught by my dad."

Last edited:

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    That is not safe, plain and simple. Don't care how rich you would be for every time you've done it, it's a bad idea.

?........aw-rite then, dude......I'll give ya the benefit o' the doubt.....
    Soooooo.......?.......if you want'n to say....I dunno....chuck this thing in'a dresser drawer,or in'a cabinet cuzz......you gonna decide to carry somethin' else for the day.....or....few days......?
    Gonna put it away cok'd/lok'd?......or take it out'a battery?.....and if/when ya take it out'a battery......how ya suppose you'll do that?......

jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    im not trying to be a d**k but i just dont understand how you can shoot yourself in the hand like that. Whether your letting down the hammer on a piped round or letting ur slide chamber oneand it goes off. How in the heck do you put your hand in front of the barrel by doing either. Me and my wife were talking about this last night and couldnt find a scenerio where your hand would be in front of the barrel....... If im missing somehting please feel free to tell me... I just dont get how he didi that....

Harleyrider_50

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    So. Indiana
    We need to find a way to educate those that don't want to be educated. Those that have gotten away with dangerous behavior for years. Often those who were "raised with guns" and, or "taught by my dad."

Well at'd be ME,dude.......an' I sho'nuff don't claim to know it all......but in 54 yrs......I ain' kill'd nobody......ain't accidently shot nobody.......never had'a ND.....etc,etc, etc............

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Ever heard of "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone?"

Yes I'm new to this forum. And honestly I'm disappointed.

This thread is full of people calling this guy a variety of names, stemming from hill jack to idiot and everything in between;
    As if none of you have EVER done ANYTHING that could have possibly led to an accident.
    None of you are perfect. Accidents happen. Should this guy have been more responsible? Yes. But he is human.

Welcome to the forum.
    Develop a thick skin. Sometimes things said here with raise your blood pressure. Just ask any of the resident LEOs.
    We have +27k members, with opinions all over the spectrum.
    And, when analyzing a subject, points can be brought up that are disappointing or angering. Especially when analyzing something like this.
    Just realize, at the end of the day, what is said here does not affect your job or home. Learn what you can, ignore if you have to.

Glocker 400

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    You do not have to be careless or negligent for a gun to discharge. **** happens, even when you're being careful. Guns can, and do, discharge when you take them out and futz around with them. Doesn't matter who you are. As Kirk is fond of saying, "Eez gon. Eez not safe". The 1500 requires people to take their firearms out of a nice safe holster and unload them in areas without barrels or other safety barriers, thus increasing the odds of a discharge and someone getting hurt. Leave the guns alone and they'll be just fine.

The 1500 does not require anyone to do anything with a loaded gun. People choose to bring their loaded guns with them and futz with them, knowing full well that loaded guns are not allowed in the 1500.

If guns are so dangerous that they cannot be handled without inevitably discharging, as you insinuate, then the antis are right. They are unacceptably dangerous to society and should be prohibited in public.

The fact of the matter is, unless there is a mechanical failure, unintended discharges are 100% the fault of the stupid human behind the trigger, not the properly designed firearm. Even with a mechanical failure, keeping the muzzle in a safe direction negates a potential tragedy.

I'm not sure that "they are all unsafe and will discharge when handled" is the best line of thinking with regards to advocating for the right to carry arms in public.

Top Bottom