• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • battuedave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 30, 2010
    I will be going to arkansas in a couple weeks.I have a Indiana ltc.Am I legal to cross Illinois with my Handgun?
    Thank you

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    un loaded & cased.

And in a compartment unaccessable to passengers.

Keep in mind that in some states (I KNOW that Ohio is one) that a loaded magazine = loaded firearm. I PRESUME that Stalinois is one of those states, but do not know for sure.

-J-

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    And in a compartment unaccessable to passengers.

Keep in mind that in some states (I KNOW that Ohio is one) that a loaded magazine = loaded firearm. I PRESUME that Stalinois is one of those states, but do not know for sure.

-J-

IL. law does not require seperate storage or unloaded mags.. just no ammo in gun. fully enclosed case.
    "fanny pack carry"

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    On another board, we had a member who was always talking about this. IIRC, it is properly called "fanny pack transport", but yes, with a FOID, an IL resident can transport a handgun, with it's full magazine, with both items in separate, zipped compartments and be completely within the law (at that time at least; maybe now, too)

Blessings,
    Bill

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    from the FOID act;

Ill COMP STAT § 2 : Illinois Statutes - Section 2
    <snip>
    (b) The provisions of this Section regarding the possession of firearms, firearm ammunition, stun guns, and tasers do not apply to:
    (1) United States Marshals, while engaged in the operation of their official duties;
    (2) Members of the Armed Forces of the United States or the National Guard, while engaged in the operation of their official duties;
    (3) Federal officials required to carry firearms, while engaged in the operation of their official duties;
    (4) Members of bona fide veterans organizations which receive firearms directly from the armed forces of the United States, while using the firearms for ceremonial purposes with blank ammunition;
    (5) Nonresident hunters during hunting season, with valid nonresident hunting licenses and while in an area where hunting is permitted; however, at all other times and in all other places these persons must have their firearms unloaded and enclosed in a case;
    (6) Those hunters exempt from obtaining a hunting license who are required to submit their Firearm Owner's Identification Card when hunting on Department of Natural Resources owned or managed sites;
    (7) Nonresidents while on a firing or shooting range recognized by the Department of State Police; however, these persons must at all other times and in all other places have their firearms unloaded and enclosed in a case;
    (8) Nonresidents while at a firearm showing or display recognized by the Department of State Police; however, at all other times and in all other places these persons must have their firearms unloaded and enclosed in a case;
    (9) Nonresidents whose firearms are unloaded and enclosed in a case;
    (10) Nonresidents who are currently licensed or registered to possess a firearm in their resident state;

<snip>

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Franklin
    This is some good information! I have to go to Chicago for some training ill be in a Motel. So as long as my hand gun is in an enclosed case with ammo separate I can have it with me?

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Also note that Federal law covers you through your interstate journey as long as you are legal at start and destination points and transport as outlined.

TITLE 18--CRIMES AND CRIMINAL PROCEDURE

PART I--CRIMES

CHAPTER 44--FIREARMS

Sec. 926A. Interstate transportation of firearms

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or
    regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof, any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver's compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.

source link

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    This is some good information! I have to go to Chicago for some training ill be in a Motel. So as long as my hand gun is in an enclosed case with ammo separate I can have it with me?

NO, Chicago has "home rule"..
    state law does not trump the city ban..
    if your hotel is outside the city limits you might be ok.. but you will need to check more..

Hornett

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Bedford, Indiana
    ANY gun ANYWHERE in the city limits of Chicago will get you arrested if you are caught. (unless you are passing through, which you aren't)
    For that reason, I really hate going there.

t413

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    NE IN
    If you MUST be in Chicagoland area, I would field strip the gun and leave it in your trunk.
    Its not easy access if you have to put the gun back together.

Any handgun in Chicago = get use to soad on a rope :D

sptland

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Howe, IN
    The Chicago Handgun Law is going in front of the Supreme Court -- it's days should be limited since it violates the 2nd amendment!!!! FYI - I don't publish my license plate or anything - but I carry everywhere I travel!! BECAUSE MY CONSTITUTION ALLOWS ME TO!!

Top Bottom