• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Well the crappies have moved to deeper water so now time for the gills, went this morning and the gills are starting to go on the nest... Caught a few nice ones on the lake we been catching the crappies on, so this evening going to a farm pond and see if I can get on some true monster gills...? Haven't fish this pond before but the old farmer said nobody has fished it in years and there used to be some giant blue gills in it, so time to see if its true ? Sure hope so, I didnt even know there was a pond there.... Have drove by the place a million times and never knew it was there... Was talking to the old farmer about deer hunt'n his place and he was telling me about the deer like to water at the pond and I ask what pond ? Went to google maps and sure enough there it is and its a nice pond too... So will let ya know how it goes later, going about 4 and stay'n till dark.... O'yea got permission to deer hunt it too... Its a two-fer :yesway: hunt'n and fish'n don't get much better then that !

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Well that was a flop, what a waste of time... The spill way was washed out, pond isn't a pond its a pool of water... I don't know how old google maps are but it had to be old , because the pond is not what it showed... So tomorrow to another farm pond that I know has nice gills and is still a pond , so a evening at home with the wife and grill some burgers... Then a good nights sleep and up bright and early and back to the fish'n... I guess at least there is still a little water for the deer to drink... Put the boat and the trailer up and loaded up the jon boat for tomorrow, Im ready for a new day and a mess of gills....

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Sorry you struck out there, yote hunter.

Thanks bro, not a total loss seen 3 nice red oaks and one is close to the old pond so I can see a tree stand there this fall, it should work well for a south wind... Acorns and water with in bow distance, not a total loss.. Hell all i wanted was to get hunting permission so that ended well.... I got 3 other farm ponds to fish so I will be ok and I can always go back to the lake where we were catching crappies, so no big deal.. Thanks again, Im gonna go back out there in a few weeks to find a place for a stand for a north wind, then I will be set there...

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I got into a few this morning, probably 5-6 dinner sized bluegills:D went to my normal place and I couldn't get anything to bite, then went to another spot that is normally pretty small and I actually caught some fish?

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Purchased my Indiana combo hunt fish license online just a few minutes ago. Lunch is packed. Picked up some red worms and baby crawlers earlier this evening. I'll be out for bluegill early in the morning, first bluegill outing this year. Can't wait. :cool:

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We've been doing pretty good on gills so far this year. We have about 8 meals' worth in the freezer so far. When we went today, they weren't hitting as well but we still have quite a few in the basket. There were a million red ear all around the boat (well hundreds anyway) but they refused to bite. They were swarming all over and you could put that hook right in front of them, but they were not biting. I must have pulled in at least 30 gills that I tossed back because they were just too small to deal with cleaning.

It was a good day on the lake...no wind, sunshine and comfortable temps with a lot of fish hitting the line.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    I finally got to go out today and kept 16 very nice bluegills. also caught a couple of small bass. then towards the end of the day I was standing up unhooking a bluegill and my brother in law shifted in the boat. needless to say the fish went flying, the hook went in my finger and I went in the lake.
    it was pretty funny though. even better part was when I got home I got to clean my gun since it was full of grit and water.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I finally got to go out today and kept 16 very nice bluegills. also caught a couple of small bass. then towards the end of the day I was standing up unhooking a bluegill and my brother in law shifted in the boat. needless to say the fish went flying, the hook went in my finger and I went in the lake.
    it was pretty funny though. even better part was when I got home I got to clean my gun since it was full of grit and water.

I'm glad you can laugh about it now...I assume you are laughing, right? Sorry about losing the fish but glad you are okay.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    I love me some gills, I use bee-moths insted of worms they seem to like them better at times ??? Good luck to all and some good storys to boot... lol Its all about the fun and memories to go with them.... You will be talking about that hook in the fingure and falling out of the boat for years to come... lmao Well get me some coffee ready and head out for some more gills , good luck to all today !

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Well another day in the books, caught about 50 gills only kept 10 nice ones... Got them cleaned and soak'n in some salt water, now for the rest of the day to cha-lax .... I believe I got myself some sun over the last couple days, just helps the tan out alittle.... Its been a good couple days with just one fubar, with that spillway but all in all had a great weekend... Glad paintman didn't lose his gun in the lake :) that would of been a bad day ...

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    Well another day in the books, caught about 50 gills only kept 10 nice ones... Got them cleaned and soak'n in some salt water, now for the rest of the day to cha-lax .... I believe I got myself some sun over the last couple days, just helps the tan out alittle.... Its been a good couple days with just one fubar, with that spillway but all in all had a great weekend... Glad paintman didn't lose his gun in the lake :) that would of been a bad day ...

Time for a fish fry!! Sounds like it was a good morning for ya.

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Time for a fish fry!! Sounds like it was a good morning for ya.

LOL , Yea here in a couple weeks when my son-inlaw gets a weekend off we are gonna fry some up... It was a good weekend , I guess Im going later today my daughter and son-inlaw we down to dale hollow over the weekend and should be home anytime so the son-inlaw and I are gonna go here in a little bit... So I guess Im not done yet !?

Dargasonus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Jeffersonville
    Bluegill weren't wanting to bite for Dad and I Saturday evening/night, but the catfish were hitting hard! 29 gills, 14 channels. Couldn't fit them all on the cutting board! Sent most of the catfish to a friend of my dads who doesn't have much time to fish taking care of his wife with cancer.

h7E9IWH.jpg

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Caught some nice cats down at Monroe this weekend, on ultralight tackle, with crickets no less! I was really hoping for crappie or bluegill, and did catch some of those, but they were all small. A 3 or 4 lb. cat on an ultralight is a lot of fun though!

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    we were poundin redears one day many moons ago, I am talking 1.25 - 1.75 pounders, when an old john boat came by with 2 guys in it. 1st time I ever saw buzz baits, they had em at the end of long cane poles, finding small holes in the moss covered lake, lifted 4 bass or more 7+ pounders to show off, put our gills into perspective! I still love big gills though!!!!1

Last edited:

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    Went yesterday late afternoon and tore'm up brought home 25 but the son-inlaw didn't go with me he had to mow when they got home... He missed out it was my best day yet... I didn't get done cleaning fish till 10;30 last night... My poor back is killing me today from sitting in that boat for 2 days.. lol but its all worth it, love me some gills.... Dar them are some fine cats you have there, just the right eat'n size, you had a great day yourself.... Wish my dad was here to go with me, he taught me how to fish, hunt and trap... Sure miss him !

Top Bottom