• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    I found our first 2 ticks feb 19 in Pike county (southwest), And, 2 weeks ago, turkey ticks

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    I hate ticks; had one crawling on me last Friday after coming out of shoulder high weeds down at Harrison Crawford State Forest. Didn't find it's buddy until Sunday, it had attached. EWWWW!!! Did I mention I hate ticks????

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    So what's the current best way to treat an attached tick?

I'm not sure what the best way is, but I know I got a pair of tweezers and got as close to the head as I could and pulled it off. It was attached well. It's been 4 days and I still have a lump and it is a little sore and itches too. I put alchol on the bite and also killed the little bugger by placing it in a little cup of it. I've not had a tick bite like this in a long long time. EWWWW!!!!!! Have I mentioned I hate ticks?

feriil

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    West Lafayette, IN
    Best way is tweezers. I've read you can heat a knife blade hot and touch them and they'll pull out but I've tried it 15 times and it never works, eventually the knife gets hot enough to just fry them (of if full explode them) on my arm.

Really only risk with removing ticks is leaving the TINY head in accidently and that area getting infected. I go really low, usually taking out some skin with the ticks to make sure I get the head. If your going to get something when they bite, nothing you can do.

Willie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Warrick County
    Found two on me after a bit of a walk around. Unfortunately I missed two, even after a shower. They were both the small ones. One got buried in a location that was hard to remove him from.

Hkindiana

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 19, 2010
    Southern Hills
    I just pull them by hand, and have never had one leave his jaws behind. I really don't mind ticks, but I HATE chiggers. I am a chigger magnet, and will get 30-40 bites while others with me get just one or two.

Kcustom45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Brownsburg
    I have heard you can take a cotton ball, soak it in rubbing alcohol and hold it over the tick to get them to back out.

I haven't tried it yet myself, but seeing as how I always end up with a couple on me each year I think I will give it a try to see how it works.

I will keep you posted, or if anyone else has tried it let me know if it works.

blackoak

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Tweezers are the best and safest way to remove a tick. A hot match or knife, alchol will only make a tick puke more bad stuff into your body. Here is a great site with good tick info I found on another site. I spent hours reading about ticks and the disease they can give you. TickEncounter Resource Center - Prevention

duff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    found one on me last weekend. Didn't get any this weekend, but the cold weather might have them holed up a bit:rockwoot:

My dog was covered up last week. dang things are a PITA:ar15:

duff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 19, 2011
    I just pull them off with my fingers or tweezers if absolutely necesary. I wouldn't cover them in alcohol or hot matches/metal.

Top Bottom