• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    After some long and extensive homework and thinking, Ive decided I want a S&W M686 3" for concealed carry.

Reasoning behind the choice:
    1. Support American manufacturing
    2. Support the American middle class
    3. Simplicity of accessing and installing pm parts and the fairly inexpensive way of doing it.
    4. Dont have to be concerned with what bullet weight and other concerns with other calibers.
    5. A 686 with some checkered rosewoods causes slight arousal for me:):

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    After some long and extensive homework and thinking, Ive decided I want a S&W M686 3" for concealed carry.

Reasoning behind the choice:
    1. Support American manufacturing
    2. Support the American middle class
    3. Simplicity of accessing and installing pm parts and the fairly inexpensive way of doing it.
    4. Dont have to be concerned with what bullet weight and other concerns with other calibers.
    5. A 686 with some checked rosewoods causes slight arousal for me:):

Just playing devil's advocate here. Those reasons you give are all great reasons to own the gun. None of them really seem like they would be near the top of the list of reasons to carry a gun. I would think things like weight, concealability (unless you OC, of course) capacity, caliber choice, ease of use/manual of arms would be the type of qualifications for a carry gun. Now for you, after considering all that, the 3" 686 might still be the best choice. Just some food for thought.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    Thanks Snap/Woobie.
    I guess I should add, I have carried a government model 1911 for a few years. It was 38 oz unloaded. I was comfy with that set up.

I did consider capacity, but plan on having a speed loader and a pocket/ankle bug.

I also watched some 140 gr Barnes XPB haul butt at over 1200 fps out of a 3" barrel. Thats very attractive.

My only concern is muzzle flip and sight acquisition. I plan on doing a lot of training with the round and figured if I could get anywhere near .35 splits, Id be golden.

I sincerely appreciate the input. Gives me some more things to rattle around before I spend the cash.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    .35 splits with a DA revolver and full house magnums would be top shelf performance, especially with grips conducive to CC. Have you shot much .357 mag?

I think you'll find the 1911 easier to shoot, easier to carry, and more comfortable to train/practice with.

That said I lover a 3" .357

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Are you willing to put in the time and effort it takes to properly utilize speed-strips and/or speed loaders? Or carry a speed loader or two on your person?

7 shots of .357 Mag isn't anything to sneeze at for sure, but getting a bottom feeder back into the game is a MUCH simpler and quicker task (for 99.99% of us)

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    .35 splits with a DA revolver and full house magnums would be top shelf performance, especially with grips conducive to CC. Have you shot much .357 mag?

I think you'll find the 1911 easier to shoot, easier to carry, and more comfortable to train/practice with.

That said I lover a 3" .357

Blue, yes. My very first gun ever, was a Secirity Six. That was many moons ago though.

Recently Ive been shooting a couple rentals and run a couple boxes through them.

If .35 splits is wishful thinking, what should be a reasonable goal?

I would love to go with a 1911 again, but I dont want the maintenance that comes along with it.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    Are you willing to put in the time and effort it takes to properly utilize speed-strips and/or speed loaders? Or carry a speed loader or two on your person?

7 shots of .357 Mag isn't anything to sneeze at for sure, but getting a bottom feeder back into the game is a MUCH simpler and quicker task (for 99.99% of us)

Yes. I plan on having professional instruction on defensive revolver at Insight or similar.

The plan is 7 in the gun, a single speed loader and a Kahr CM9 in the pocket or ankle, attire will dictate this.

Thats 21 rounds. Yet, it will take some work to get my speed reloads anywhere near where Im currently at with my semi's.

voodoo304

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    SW Indy
    Grant Cunningham is putting on a defensive revolver class out by Hartford City in the end of June. I'm considering it myself.

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    Great. Thanks Voodoo. I will look into that, whether I go this route or not.

I am definitely getting a 686, Im about 90% sure it will be for carry.

ncuster852

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2014
    Brownsburg
    It would take a good belt, good holster, and some solid dedication but its do-able. Biggest issue would be the fat cylinder. Probably no worse of a challenge than a Glock 45 or similar...

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If .35 splits is wishful thinking, what should be a reasonable goal?

I would love to go with a 1911 again, but I dont want the maintenance that comes along with it.

There are a lot of factors. I'm just saying with a 140 gr bullet at 1400 fps to get into the mid .30s is a very high level of skill IMO. With proper grips and technique and practice I don't think it's impossible. Smaller and smoother grips will make it harder yet. I think most people will find themselves in the .40s or .50s. As you are willing to train and practice you aren't most people. Only way to find out is run it and see.

I just want you to understand and that given the same amount of effort and time, you likely will not shoot a 3" .357 as well as you shoot a gov't 1911.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    Around the time my wife was pregnant with our son(26 years ago), I had a S&W 686 with a 3" bbl and a round butt. It was a very nice revolver. It shot very well. However, it was big and heavy! I could conceal it fairly well, but the weight of it was a drag. I wish I still had it as it was from an overrun of a U.S. Customs order. With the selection of firearms in today's market, I wouldn't pick this particular firearm now, though.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Any grown man who thinks that a 3 in. 686 is too heavy for carry needs to start going to the gym. While it might be "heavier" than a plastic pocket .380 - it ain't that bad. Some of you guys sound like a bunch of little wussies.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    CArry what you shoot well, are comfortable with, and will actually carry on a regular basis.
    The rest is just preferences.

For ME, that is a heavy setup, but I like a loaded carry gun to be closer to 25-30 oz if possible.
    However, 7 rds of 357 (or even 38+p) is quite serious, and gives up very little to other calibers/platforms for those first 7 rds -- dealing with reloads/carrying reloads/etc might be different.

The 3" 686+ is about perfect for carry, just a bit heavy.
    I say get it, and if you don't love it for carry, you can always give it to me :)

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    :): I am accustomed to "heavy" guns. I carried a full sized 1911 for years.

IWB in a DeSantis Mad Max, Uncle Mikes Tactical Riggers belt and pants with a bigger waistline.

A 38 oz gun aides in recoil management.

I think Im going to give it a go with the Hogue rubber grips.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Any grown man who thinks that a 3 in. 686 is too heavy for carry needs to start going to the gym. While it might be "heavier" than a plastic pocket .380 - it ain't that bad. Some of you guys sound like a bunch of little wussies.

<---- Not a grown man and never will be.

Namecalling is so classy, Drail. :rolleyes:

EricG

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2013
    NWI
    CArry what you shoot well, are comfortable with, and will actually carry on a regular basis.
    The rest is just preferences.

For ME, that is a heavy setup, but I like a loaded carry gun to be closer to 25-30 oz if possible.
    However, 7 rds of 357 (or even 38+p) is quite serious, and gives up very little to other calibers/platforms for those first 7 rds -- dealing with reloads/carrying reloads/etc might be different.

The 3" 686+ is about perfect for carry, just a bit heavy.
    I say get it, and if you don't love it for carry, you can always give it to me :)

Lol, you know what Tony, I figured if it doesnt work out, Id throw some fancy wood grips on it and have my first, official safe queen.

I really want it to work though.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Lol, you know what Tony, I figured if it doesnt work out, Id throw some fancy wood grips on it and have my first, official safe queen.

I really want it to work though.

I might have just the grips. The ones I bought are too pretty for nightstand duty. Hit me up if the carry thing doesn't work out.

Top Bottom